Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
you have to remember though, the OP may have gotten lucky. Insurance companies don't like to total cars. Not all these salvage cars may be the bargains that they initially seem to be.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335xi, 2009 750LI
^100% agree, you have to be very careful, esp with all the electronics in these cars. + if you drive a 7 series, u may not want to deal with these headaches. my 2011 was salvaged.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 740Li
@light1...if I may ask, why was your car salvaged? Or are you saying you have a salvaged vehicle now?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 4 E38's, F02
Quote:
Originally Posted by light1 View Post
so i picked up a 2011 335xi with only 8k miles in 2011, mainly it was hail damage but the rear window broke so water got under the seat. There was some mold build up, killed most of it with a product called Benefect, but did not replace anything yet.

Does your car have a smell? If so, what do you plan on doing about it?

I am thinking of replacing the sponge in the seat, the leather should be cleanable. Alternatively, I may replace the sponge in the back as well above the speakers. My main question is should I replace the floor carpets as well or just take them out and wash them? i am having it taken to a shop that does this type of work, they will take all the carpets apart, and was them. The floor carpets may cost me about $5-600, so not cheap. Thoughts?

The car currently has 19k miles.
I think I got lucky as it probably only got wet due to snow falling into the open window. And the majority of the time it spent in the storage lot in NY it was freezing or close to, so mold didn't have a chance to grow. Surprisingly it smells fine, still has a bit of new car smell. It has taken a long time to completely dry out the foam on the back of the carpets though. I would have pulled the back carpet section completely out, but I wasn't into dismantling the center console. If I were you I would probably replace the carpets if there was any substantial mold buildup, that foam is a GIANT porous sponge.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdoha234 View Post
@light1...if I may ask, why was your car salvaged? Or are you saying you have a salvaged vehicle now?
my 3 series was salvaged because of hail damage, the rear window broke and water came inside the backseat area, hence the "damage" was at a certain % where the insurance totaled it, and these percentages vary state to state I believe. sometimes, a car may be totaled, but not salvaged, and this does not void warranty or change the title, simply the insurance pays the owner full price of the car and re-sells that car.

I still have the 3, trying to get the mold smell out, and if I am successful, I'll keep it, else i'll sell it. My 7 is not salvaged, it's clean title, clean car.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axion_E46 View Post
I think I got lucky as it probably only got wet due to snow falling into the open window. And the majority of the time it spent in the storage lot in NY it was freezing or close to, so mold didn't have a chance to grow. Surprisingly it smells fine, still has a bit of new car smell. It has taken a long time to completely dry out the foam on the back of the carpets though. I would have pulled the back carpet section completely out, but I wasn't into dismantling the center console. If I were you I would probably replace the carpets if there was any substantial mold buildup, that foam is a GIANT porous sponge.
Thanks, is there foam under the carpets? maybe i'll replace the foam and wash the carpets. Most of the mold it seems was under the seat area
Old 04-24-2013, 11:34 AM
CABimmerNation

Mein Auto: 2010 750i M Sport
Anyone else got balls of steel?

http://www.maltzauctions.com/auction....php?id=202483

http://www.maltzauctions.com/auction....php?id=202492
Dinan S3, PedalBox, 22" Agetro rims, H&R spt springs, RDsport front lip, coded, paddle shift retrofit, AlpineMSS HID 8000k. All exterior chrome, roof, roof spoiler and everything behind wheels painted black, wing, side and rear reflectors and door handle trim painted white, light smoke on tail lights. Audio: focal separates, earthquake low profile subs under front seats (crossed over as mid base to support the pathetic 4" fronts), arc audio amps, audiocontrol lcq-1 and epicenter, (2) L7 subs.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:03 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Any update on this?

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 08-20-2013, 04:27 PM

ehh, I drove it for about a month after my last post and was loving every minute of it. But I've been very busy business wise and may have to move shortly, so it's been sitting since late June when body work was started. It absolutely has to be back together by early September, I'll post pics when finished. I'm really looking forward to driving it again. As if this wasn't enough of a project I also have one of my E38's apart and in a similar state.

Current state: (bumpers have since been removed, sanded and are ready for paint.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 750 LI
Holly cow, I still hope the warranty is still active. The pictures are painful but I'm sure you have it handled
Old 08-21-2013, 04:38 AM

salvage vehicles do not have warranty, they get voided immediately. Totaled cars may still retain warranty.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axion_E46 View Post
ehh, I drove it for about a month after my last post and was loving every minute of it. But I've been very busy business wise and may have to move shortly, so it's been sitting since late June when body work was started. It absolutely has to be back together by early September, I'll post pics when finished. I'm really looking forward to driving it again. As if this wasn't enough of a project I also have one of my E38's apart and in a similar state.

Current state: (bumpers have since been removed, sanded and are ready for paint.
I'm amazed you pulled that off. Great work man!

Carbon Black / Saddle Brown / Options: X-drive, M-sport, tech, exec, ACC, nightvision

6WB cluster retrofit / paddle & SAT shifter retrofit / BMS stage 1 tune / Pedal Box / 21" BMW 312 rims / 10mm frt & 12mm rear BMS spacers / LCI taillights / LCI grille / ACS spoiler / 760 exhaust tips & flap delete / Mtec V2 halos / Osram CBI HIDs / active high beam SZL / BMW performance pedals / 6NR retrofit / chrome wrapped with 3M 1080 gloss black vinyl / 20% tint / coded / blacked out calipers
Old 08-22-2013, 05:44 PM
David

Re: Salvage 750Li acquisition + starter replacement (pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersseven View Post
I'm amazed you pulled that off. Great work man!
+1! Keep us updated.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Old 08-22-2013, 08:57 PM
2009 F02

Mein Auto: 750li, XJ8
Axion e46 I am really impressed with your skills and dedication. I almost bought my son a 330i, did not know what they meant when they said the title had a "water stain" (I thought someone spilled their coffee on the titel). Connectors will be the biggest long term prob. keep us informed we will droll over your $15k 7 series.

2009 750Li - Space Grau Metallic, Camera pkg, Conv pkg, Driver Asst pkg, Lux Seat pkg, Lux rear seat pkg, Prem sound pkg, Sport pkg, HUD, Massaging rear seats, Smartphone integration, Sat radio, MTEC H8 4750K Halo lights
Old 10-10-2013, 10:57 AM

OK, so it's finally over.
Shortly after I got everything painted, back together and all the under paneling replaced, I made an appointment for the final CHP inspection. I had it inspected once before, but since this was my first time doing this I didn't know they would not pass it if it needed any body work. So I get to the CHP office the day of the 2nd inspection, the officer comes out and I hand him all the paperwork, receipts for parts, and the key. He starts his inspection but informs me he can doesn't see the airbag light come on. I immediately return to the car to check, sure enough the airbag light comes on for a few sec then turns off as normal. I show him my findings, he says he didn't see it before and he'll mess with it. I return to the waiting area and hear him start the car 8-10 in a row. Followed by a few clicks. He returns and says it won't start anymore. Upset, I summon a tow truck.
A few minutes later a random brush fire breaks out, quickly engulfs the field and then starts the brush and eucalyptus tree above on fire, raining ash and debris all over my fresh paint. (pic was right at start of fire)

Not a good day.
Next day, bought a brand new starter ($500) and went through the PITA of taking it out again. Scheduled another inspection a week later and it passed. Went the the DMV, got plates, title should be mailed shortly.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: ///M7
Looks Great! Amazing work. Guess all this crazyness is par for the course on the 7 forum now.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:55 AM
David

Re: Salvage 750Li acquisition + starter replacement (pics)

Well done! You have a beautiful 7.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 10-10-2013, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
So that's where the subs are...this whole time I thought they were actually underneath the seat cushions. That was part of the reason I declined to get the butt massager option on this 7. Figured I could just turn the bass up.

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 10-10-2013, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 F01 SPORT
In a word, WOW!!! I know of your handy work with your 545i and all the DIYs on the E60 forum. I was a beneficiary of many of your handy work! I too now have graduated to an F01 and loving every minute of it. Did you do the body/paint work your self too? If so, again, AMAZING work!!! I am contemplating a re-spray of bumpers and perhaps even the entire car and wanted to see what the cost may be. Any insight would be most appreciated. Thanks.