Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-22-2013, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x3
Booking my first service at 2000 miles

I've owned a few new vehicles and can say, after 2000 miles with my first bimmer (2013 x3 28i), I'm disappointed by a couple of initial quality issues I hope will be addressed in this service appointment. My vehicle had 4 miles on it when i picked it up. I wish they would have taken another lap or two around the test track before delivering it to me
- driver's side external mirror creates a distorted image (double vision) which is significantly more prominent when the Auto dimming is active
- passenger side external mirror creates a high pitched whistle that can be heard inside the vehicle at speeds at or above 60 mph
- twice this past weekend, the vehicle stalled after shifting from park to drive. This was especially surprising.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 04-27-2013, 07:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x3 35i

Did they fix the issues?

Old 05-06-2013, 10:51 AM

As an update, the drivers side mirror is being replaced, the dealer claims they can't recreate the whistling noise but also admits they did not drive over 60 mph, the speed at which I say the whistling starts. I may need to drive with the tech for this issue because they claim its not in their practice to test drive cars at this speed. The car has not maintained any codes from when it stalled so they are also saying they can't replicate that issue.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
I have seen several other threads (I do not have them bookmarked) on either this forum or the other X3 forums dealing with whistling noises coming from the mirrors. Try googling:

whistling mirror BMW x3

The diagnosis involves putting pieces of masking tape over some of the joints around the mirrors. The noises then disappeared. Using this technique they could identify exactly what wwa scausing the problem and then work with BMW to fix it. You can demonstrate it by driving the vehicle with the tech in the car without the tape, putting the tape in place and driving with the tech in the car again.

The generic cause is poor alignment between adjoining body panels or parts. It happens on some individual vehicles apparantly.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 05-07-2013, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 x3 35i
Take a look at my thread on wind noise...I have the same exact thing and found some glaring build quality related matters as well...
Old 06-19-2013, 04:35 PM

I thought I'd swing back here and update since I had an opportunity to rebook an appointment but this time drive with the service manager. He acknowledge the whistling noise and my dealership has now had my car since Friday (it's now Wednesday) to try and resolve it. So far the window seal and mirror have been replaced. The mirror might not have needed replacing had they not broken it when removing it. They're telling me the noise persists so troubleshooting will continue tomorrow.

I would have never imagined a week to resolve a little wind noise.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:27 PM

Finally after a week I have my car back and the whistling is gone!!. The work order mentions replacing a deformed mirror seal and a deformed window seal. They also replaced the mirror cover that was broken when they removed it.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin View Post
Finally after a week I have my car back and the whistling is gone!!. The work order mentions replacing a deformed mirror seal and a deformed window seal. They also replaced the mirror cover that was broken when they removed it.
Always love a happy ending! Thanks so much for documenting this.

Have you had any further problems with the car stalling?
Old 06-21-2013, 04:37 PM

the car stall has not replicated itself and did not throw any codes. For now I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it's a one off because now that my car rides quietly, I feel ok about the $50k pricetag.