Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 03-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ///M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustovier View Post
He's sent me these 2 #s which I can't make sense of...

ASW6102240
FG-NR SLC84742501
Not sure what those are. The 6102240 may be a partial part #, but can't make sense of that.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:06 PM
RocknDoc

Mein Auto: 2012 F02 750Lix
Quote:
Anybody know where the steering wheel part # would be located on the actual steering wheel? I'm trying to talk to this person about a used one, and he has no idea what the part # of the steering wheel is and I don't want to purchase the wrong one

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Go to this website and put in your VIN# then look up the steering wheel... You will need to know which functions your have to match to the correct part number...

Old 03-26-2013, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by haastx10 View Post
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Go to this website and put in your VIN# then look up the steering wheel... You will need to know which functions your have to match to the correct part number...
That won't help for getting a part # from an existing steering wheel this guy has that he's selling. All he has is the wheel.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:15 AM
RocknDoc

Mein Auto: 2012 F02 750Lix
Quote:
That won't help for getting a part # from an existing steering wheel this guy has that he's selling. All he has is the wheel.
Best bet would be to go to dealer and have them pull a steering wheel to show you where part # is located...

Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 09 750i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaranE View Post
+1.

Let us know how it goes.
Just following up.. BMW replaced the wheel because the thread was coming loose. The new wheel also has a warranty for two years from the install date (only 6 months left on factory warranty). The airbag part (middle of the wheel) was not replaced, so it's just the wheel itself. This is still a $900+ part so I was happy to see it replaced as the old one looked fairly abused, worn down, and faded.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:43 AM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeek View Post
Will do, install is scheduled for this Friday. Sadly a whole new wheel is needed since the back has to be made to fit paddles specifically. Also having surround view camera retrofit done at the same time.

I will be the first F01/F02 he has done paddles on, so crossing my fingers we can get it to work...
Hi Rajeek - what's the scoop on the sport steering wheel paddle shifter retro, sounds like it may not have been as easy as replacing steering wheel and recoding. You'll also likely need a new spiral spring/steering column switch assy since when your vehicle was built there wasn't a paddle shift option so the wiring wouldn't likely be part of the spiral spring. Otherwise seems like it should work.

Please update - Cheers
Old 04-09-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer750LI View Post
Hi Rajeek - what's the scoop on the sport steering wheel paddle shifter retro, sounds like it may not have been as easy as replacing steering wheel and recoding. You'll also likely need a new spiral spring/steering column switch assy since when your vehicle was built there wasn't a paddle shift option so the wiring wouldn't likely be part of the spiral spring. Otherwise seems like it should work.

Please update - Cheers
You are dead on correct my friend. I was doing 2 retrofits at that time. Surround view camera and paddle shifters. Surround view went perfectly. Paddles not so much. Right now we are thinking the steering control cluster needs to be replaced with the latest model also to support the paddles. This is for the exact reason you mention above, they did not exist in any form in the F series vehicles at the time. That part is now on order and should be here later next week. I would probably expect we will have to have another install attempt in 2 weeks. That is currently where we are at. I will post as soon as we give it another shot. If that doesn't work, I may have to abandon that project sadly, as we are not sure how else to approach the problem and eventually you can only throw so much money at something.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.

Last edited by rajeek; 04-09-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 PM

Thanks for the update, I'm pretty sure you'll get it working - spiral spring and control unit seem to be on the right path and there could be some wiring needed. If you had someone willing to share their existing paddle shift equipped vehicle for a quick comparison you could identify any differences in the wire harness. Good Luck, certainly hoping to hear it works!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer750LI View Post
Thanks for the update, I'm pretty sure you'll get it working - spiral spring and control unit seem to be on the right path and there could be some wiring needed. If you had someone willing to share their existing paddle shift equipped vehicle for a quick comparison you could identify any differences in the wire harness. Good Luck, certainly hoping to hear it works!
Sorry bout the late response. I wish I could find someone to share their paddle shift car, but I don't think there would be many takers to allow us to disassemble their steering column for our benefit. Next try this Thurs, will keep posted.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:57 PM

If the control unit and coding works, no need to have someone share their paddle equiped vehicle. I'll be watching for the good news on Thursday
Old 04-25-2013, 02:45 PM

Paddle Retrofit update.......SUCCESS!!!!! Just left the shop 10 min ago.

Will post dedicated thread later with pics. Loving em!

Old 04-25-2013, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: 750i 740i 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeek View Post
Paddle Retrofit update.......SUCCESS!!!!! Just left the shop 10 min ago.

Will post dedicated thread later with pics. Loving em!
NICE!!! I'm all over it, can't wait!

F01 750i Dark Graphite Metallic
M-Sport | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
MODS: BMS Stage 1 Tune | PedalBox | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Taillight LCI Tint | Mtec V3 Halo LED | Coded.
E38 740i Jet Black
Sport | PDC | Convenience | Sunshade | Navigation
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded
Old 04-25-2013, 03:29 PM

Wonderful news rajeek!