Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnsbmw View Post
I don't know if this is the cause of the 3500 lb rating, but the BMW X3 hitch is unique (at least in my experience) in that the receiver detaches from the back of the SAV. It has a key/lock that allows the receiver to be removed. Since the receiver sits up and out from the bumper and I would only use the hitch occasionally, I really like the removable feature. However, It may be the reason, (pure speculation on my part) that that the hitch is rated lower than one might expect based on the towing capacity of the SAV. It might be one reason to look at a third-party hitch, but I think the prior threads indicated that their hitch was also class II. The BMW owners video's has one that shows how the hitch installs and is removed.
-And this would explain why the rating is different in EU?
Old 07-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN@EXECUHITCH View Post
$770.00 for assembly plus $69.00 for either 2 inch ball with adjustable plate or 2 inch or 1 7/8 inch adaptor for accessory such as bike rack. any dealer can certainly install it or a qualified independent bimmer shop because of our detailed illustrated installation manual. we charge $180.00 for install in our roswell, ga facility. msport same price as non m
Hi Dean,

Who would you recommend in Washington to install the Execuhitch? Also, does the wiring for your hitch control trailer braking? Thanks.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:01 AM

Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
Hi - I know this is an older post but I am reading conflicting information and or I am not fully understanding. I am deciding between a hitch or roof rack. I was reading about cutting for a hitch but also read the BMW hitch doesn't require cutting. Also, see Execu-Hitch and I read about cutting on their site. Does anyone know which hitches require cutting and which do not? I am of average mechanical ability, is this a DYI job?

Also, we have a tandem Yakima roof rack (Sidewinder). Yakima says the stock BMW roof rails are not strong enough for this rack and why I am looking for alternatives. Thule makes a Podium 460 that could work but I think the foot may clip on the rail and have a rubber piece that rests on the paint?? Hate to do that with an expensive car so trying to get the best overall solution.

Thx for any advice.

Last edited by ponti33609; 04-22-2013 at 04:18 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 X35i
Check this post for DIY hitch install
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=572155

I paid $800 out the door for the OEM BMW hitch and installation.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: X3 28i
I have the BMW roof rails and the BMW hitch as well. There was no cutting involved for the hitch which was installed by the dealer. I cannot vouch for DIY. Admittedly I have not used the roof rails yet but we have the Thule racks we have used on other vehicles with Hull-A-Port Pros for kayaks. When we get back from vacation I will have to see if they will fit the BMW. I like the look of the rails add but have been hesitant so far to put kayaks up there.

Last edited by Brutus1; 04-22-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:45 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33609 View Post
Hi - I know this is an older post but I am reading conflicting information and or I am not fully understanding. I am deciding between a hitch or roof rack. I was reading about cutting for a hitch but also read the BMW hitch doesn't require cutting. Also, see Execu-Hitch and I read about cutting on their site. Does anyone know which hitches require cutting and which do not? I am of average mechanical ability, is this a DYI job?
Hopefully I can contribute to a clearer understanding of the hitch option. I know nothing about the roof option.

First, regarding "cutting" for a hitch, the X3 does not have any factory openings in its underside plastic gravel guard (see attached photo of the underside of an X3). So, installing a hitch receiver does require creating an opening. The best looking approach comes by selecting a hitch that requires an opening in the underside gravel guard, instead of a hitch that requires a visible cut to the bumper.

The BMW dealer hitch does require creating an opening in the underside gravel guard (see attached diagram from the dealer-hitch installation manual). It is not a visible cut, so sometimes people do not realize a cut was made unless they installed the hitch themselves. The invisihitch, formerly execuhitch, requires the exact same trim in the underside gravel guard as the bmw dealer hitch. In both cases, a small number of customers elect to remove and save the gravel guard rather than trim an opening in it.

The primary differences between the dealer hitch and the invisihitch are the extent of stealthiness (the dealer hitch has a piece that permanently hangs out of the gravel-guard opening; the invisihitch has no such visible piece), towing capacity (the dealer hitch is a class 2 hitch; the invisihitch is a full class 3 hitch); and compatibility with third-party racks (the dealer hitch has a shorter-than-standard 2-inch square sleeve so some racks bottom out; the invisihitch bike-rack connector is industry-standard length so it is compatible with all racks).

The dealer hitch and the invisihitch both come packaged with the exact same wiring harness, and they are the only two X3 hitches on the market that come with the the oem programmable harness. If you plan to tow, that may be important. If you do not plan to tow, you can unbundle and just purchase the invisihitch without the harness. The dealer hitch is a required bundle that always includes the harness.

I hope this is helpful without being overly salesy.

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW X3 [F25] factory gravel guard.png
Views:	59
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	373084   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW X3 [F25] dealer hitch cutout.png
Views:	59
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	373085   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW X3 [F25] with Invisihitch Receiver installed.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	373086   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW X3 [F25] with ball mount attached.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	373087   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW X3 [F25] with 2 inch bike-rack connector attached.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	373088  

Old 04-25-2013, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
Tow hitch for 2011 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1 View Post
I have the BMW roof rails and the BMW hitch as well. There was no cutting involved for the hitch which was installed by the dealer. I cannot vouch for DIY. Admittedly I have not used the roof rails yet but we have the Thule racks we have used on other vehicles with Hull-A-Port Pros for kayaks. When we get back from vacation I will have to see if they will fit the BMW. I like the look of the rails add but have been hesitant so far to put kayaks up there.
Hi,

Thx for the feedback. My rack issue is that the Yakima roof rack is quite heavy and Yakima only supports it being attached to round or square bars so aero is out. Most other racks can easy adapt to the BMW rack. I would love to get a hitch as well. I will see what kind of deal I can get on that. I did order a Thule roof rails that they make for our X3's. Funny. The Yakima guy told me which model Thule I needed. Said they have something in the works but told me not to hold my breath.

Regards,

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app