Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-27-2012, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
Navigation arrows display in dash even after trip is over (back in car).

I've noticed when I use the navigation that after I get back in the car, often the trip may not have realized we made it, so I "stop guidance." Yet, the arrows still show in the dash display as if it is still pointing to the destination. Only if I enter a new destination, then "stop guidance" to that trip, will the arrows go away. (They reset the arrows for the new trip and then stop when I stop guidance.)

Is this a glitch just to me or something in the system? Any way to resolve?

Thank you.
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix; 2015 X5 35ix
Doesn't make sense to me, but that's the way it works.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGlock View Post
I've noticed when I use the navigation that after I get back in the car, often the trip may not have realized we made it, so I "stop guidance." Yet, the arrows still show in the dash display as if it is still pointing to the destination. Only if I enter a new destination, then "stop guidance" to that trip, will the arrows go away. (They reset the arrows for the new trip and then stop when I stop guidance.)

Thank you.
That happened to me once so far...I figured it was no big deal and had to reset. When I drove my car later after restarting, it was gone.

2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS (Sale pending)
1971 Buick Skylark
Old 03-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Alpina Addict

Mein Auto: '11 Alpina B5 Biturbo
It's a glitch, you'll find several threads about this on various BMW forums. Some argue it's a feature, so the driver notices that the car is parked in some distance to the actual destination...

Workarounds:
1. As already mentioned, choose a new destination and cancel again
2. Stop guidance via voice command shortly before reaching the destination

"Really skilled drivers have smashed bugs on their side windows too" - Walter Röhrl
Old 03-27-2012, 10:51 AM
BMW Freak

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
That happened to me once so far...I figured it was no big deal and had to reset. When I drove my car later after restarting, it was gone.
Same here.

2011 535i (07/2011 build) Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black Interior, Anthracite Wood Trim, ZSP, ZPP, ZP2, ZCV, 2TB, 6NF, 6NR.

Retired: 2009 328i,Titanium Silver, Black Interior, Dark Wood Trim, ZPP, ZLP, 609, 494, AAW Tune.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grumpy View Post
Same here.
Yea. It's not isolated to the new 5 either. Same on the x5 with HUD. Arrow never goes away even after destination is reached. I say its a bug.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGlock View Post

Thank you.
Main Menu/Settings/Info Display: uncheck Navigation

That should get rid of the persistent arrow and distance from destination.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i xDrive
I'm having this same issue on my 2013 F10.

Actually, I've also noticed that if I get to the screen showing the current or last destination, the choice offered is "Start Navigation," implying that at least on the main screen, the system is aware that it's no longer supposed to be providing guidance.

Where do I file a bug report with BMW? It's disappointing that the software went to production with such a glaring defect.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2013 535xi M-Sport
I'm able to get rid of it by hitting the button on the turn single lever.

2013 535xi M-Sport | Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Trim | Premium | Cold | Technology | Driver Assistance | Sport Transmission | Sport Seats | Premium hi-fi
Prior: 2011 535xi Sedan | Titanium Silver/Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sport Transmission | Sirius | PDC
Prior: 2009 528xi Sedan | Monaco Blue/Cream Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sirius | Xenon
Prior: 2006 330xi Sadan | Alpine White/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav

Old 04-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by playdrum View Post
I'm able to get rid of it by hitting the button on the turn single lever.
Usually it comes back.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-22-2013, 06:13 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Just push the MFD button on the stalk and it goes away, once you disengage nav and the arrow comes back the first time. Cycle through the various displays and it's gone. NBD to me.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Yes, this is absolutely a defect / bug / glitch in the design of the navigation / iDrive system software for the Fxx chassis models. You can tell it's not normal because the arrow remains not only on the navigation / iDrive screen, but also on the instrument cluster display, not to mention the weird grey background. When I first got my car, I was exceptionally annoyed and couldn't believe how BMW allowed such an oversight to slide through. I wrote BMW at multiple addresses, including their "Technology Office" in California, which designs some of their software, but to no avail, with no response. Nevertheless, the problem does not seem to have resolved itself and I find BMW's supposed 'attention to detail' appalling on an 'after sales' / 'customer service' level; with most everything; not sure if this attitude is exclusive to North America or to AG too. In all, I have come to live with the problem, trying to accept / embrace it for its help in keeping one's bearings after arriving at a destination, but before parking, albeit not necessary / uncalled for. Everything is deemed 'normal' / 'as designed' / 'cannot duplicate' with this company, rarely acknowledging much... Should have given more weight to the way in which they 'managed' their N54 HPFP problems before purchasing my 7, as such is the corporate mentality. :|

Last edited by dbs600; 04-23-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
It appears in HUD as well. Since I'm typically at the final destination when the navigation stops, I'm about to turn the car off anyway which will get rid of the arrow. It's annoying. I'm a little surprised to see that it still happens in 2013 cars.