Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-22-2013, 04:03 PM
550 XI M Sport F10

Mein Auto: 550 xi Msport
Power steering noise while turning

I have a power steering noise in my 550 XI F10 Msport when I turn the wheel of my car during parking etc. I went to the dealer several times and they are saying that it's normal. The sound was not there when I initially got the vehicle brand-new.

The service rep said that they bled the steering. And that they did the best they could. But that doesn't solve the problem and why it happened.

Has anybody else had this problem?

I need help so I can find out how to resolve this with my dealer.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2011 550i Xdrive, Sophisto Grau, Anthracite/Black Dakota, Active/ventilated seats, Cold Weather, Convenience, M Sport, P2, SAT, HUD, top and side view cameras, power rear sunshade, split fold down seat, comfort access, SAT Radio, rear view camera, 35% window 3M tint, Dinan Stage 1 (soon)
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xdrive
i'm having the exact same problem with my 2011 535ix, the dealer said i have a good ear...
Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
You guys grip the wheel when you get in and out of the car?

The squeaky noise seems to be more pronounced in cold weather. It's gone now.
Or it could be a coincidence: I am now aware using the wheel to get in and out of the car exacerbates the problem.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 PM
550 XI M Sport F10

Mein Auto: 550 xi Msport
Power steering noise while turning

Did it get loud? Or was it always noisy?
What did they do for you?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2011 550i Xdrive, Sophisto Grau, Anthracite/Black Dakota, Active/ventilated seats, Cold Weather, Convenience, M Sport, P2, SAT, HUD, top and side view cameras, power rear sunshade, split fold down seat, comfort access, SAT Radio, rear view camera, 35% window 3M tint, Dinan Stage 1 (soon)
Old 04-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
It was not noisy at delivery, only a few months into ownership.

But I never took it in for fear of them screwing up something else up while trying to fix this.
So I observed myself and noticed that habit of gripping the wheel, which I think is causing the problem. I stopped and the noise is gone.

Also try and adjust the position of the wheel too. Moving it from its current position, even to put back afterwards will prob. help as well.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
I'm not familiar with your problem, but be persistent. At about 7k miles my car developed an alternating high / low high pitch / buzzing sound from the HVAC system; when the blower was low enough so you could hear the noise. I found it difficult to reproduce, but later learned it presented itself when the ambient / outside temperature was mild and my HVAC temperature was set to something a little less than same. After countless times trying to reproduce the sound and arguing with my service advisor and shop foreman - my repair order always came back as 'cannot duplicate' or them lying to my face when I was at the dealer - but sh*t you me not, the shop foreman finally caved and said 'I know what you're talking about, I can reproduce it right now', at which point he set the HVAC system in a certain way and the noise was as loud as I've ever heard it. I said 'so what can you do about this!?' He said 'it's normal', I said 'it's absolutely not, the car did not always do this'. I said 'do whatever you have to do', he said 'BMW has deemed it to be normal (WHICH I BELIEVE THEY DID) because even after replacing the part, the noise return after a couple thousand miles'. I said, 'unacceptable, I'm leaving the car' and left it at that. Car was ultimately returned to me with a new auxiliary water pump. It now has 22k miles on it and the noise hasn't returned. F'n jackasses don't only waste our time, time in which we make the money to afford their product, but make us feel like idiots when they do so, as if we're the 'crazy' ones, hearing things, etc. And, NO, this is not a 'dealer level' problem, but corporate mentality problem, if not, regional (NY Market Area) problem. I can name names (corporate and regional too), but will hold back from doing so for a little while longer. Good luck.

Last edited by dbs600; 04-23-2013 at 07:49 AM.