Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: trucks, sports car
If right forum for diesel

Next year the warranty goes out on my 335i. Thinking about getting a X5 3.5 or 3.5 diesel.

Been trying to get some information as too find if going to the diesel is worth the
cost. My 335 has about 10,000 so don't drive allot of miles. Guess that is my
concern with the new exhaust system and that additive. Seldom driven be more
troublesome. With the cost of diesel too.
Ads by Google
Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Actually if you do most of your driving in town and not much of that -- perhaps a diesel is not right for you. They really shine on long trips and especially in towing. Just in town and stop and go driving might be better served by a hybrid or gasser. Actually the VW T-egg makes a decent hybrid, uses the same system as the Porsche and Audi (same drive train actually) and has great performance. It is expensive however, but deals can be had. Of course you can also go over and drive the Lexus LX450h too, beautiful interior (your wife will love it) but not much for the enthusiast, althought the new one is supposed to be much better than in the past. However, in town and on short trips it would be great -- economical (32 town -28 highway), very reliable, and extremely comfortable. Worth a look and a test drive.

Last edited by UncleJ; 04-16-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
I'll offer another angle. We love driving the 35d around town and it gets 25-30% better mileage than our last v6 SUV and this one is WAY more fun to drive.

Yes it is stellar on the highway as well, but that is a bonus for us.

My suggestion is that you drive them both, you will know right away. It is not likely going to cost you enough more $$$ to even worry about nor will it save you so much more on fuel either. It is about the driving experience.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Urban

Mein Auto: X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnjen View Post
I'll offer another angle. We love driving the 35d around town and it gets 25-30% better mileage than our last v6 SUV and this one is WAY more fun to drive.

Yes it is stellar on the highway as well, but that is a bonus for us.

My suggestion is that you drive them both, you will know right away. It is not likely going to cost you enough more $$$ to even worry about nor will it save you so much more on fuel either. It is about the driving experience.
I couldn't agree with you more. I do 70% of my driving in the city, and I enjoy my diesel immensely. It's peppy, and fun to drive, and gets awesome mileage for the size of the vehicle. The Q5 the X5 replaced averaged around 15 mpg in town, and the X5 has been averaging around 20. These are calculated by hand, not with the vehicle computers.

I second the advice to go drive both, and then decide. The choice will be pretty obvious once you've driven each.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Erlkoenig
Mein Auto: German stuff
I'm in the same boat. I'm going to pull the trigger on a 35d or 50i soon. I was really impressed on my test drives. Yes that was plural on purpose. I have three kids and all grandparents are 2-3 hours away. I need to get skis and kids to local hills and western mountains. I can option a 35d out and still be cheaper than a comparable 50i. My go fast days are over. lol. Ok maybe not...still waiting for a 50i to come in, but have my mind set on 35d for now.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:21 AM

The OP appears to have driven his 335 very little over the length of his warranty (4 years) only racking up 10K total miles. That is really not much at all and a diesel needs to run. Just like boats, motorcycles, and aircraft, cars need to operate or they seem to break a lot. Given the mileage driven perhaps a diesel is not really the answer here.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: German
The best thing about the diesel is the resale value. I've looked at auction prices and researched all the various sites (kbb, nada, etc) and the diesel is worth much more than the 35i
Old 04-17-2013, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
I agree with Uncle J. Most rules of thumbs also say at least 10K a year to get a diesel. OP might be better going with gas.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
I just got the 5.0 and was about to get the diesel before but just found right optioned car in v8 so went for it

Both car were pretty much same price

The v8 power is great but almost too much if that is ever possible

I think diesel is hands down the value out there

Diesel got such a kick of the line it is as fun as the v8. Only thing is v8 rev up like a car which is really fun but hard to use as speed build up so fast

Diesel is no brainer but they are really hard to find in any configuration aside of barebone.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
I just got the 5.0 and was about to get the diesel before but just found right optioned car in v8 so went for it

Both car were pretty much same price

The v8 power is great but almost too much if that is ever possible

I think diesel is hands down the value out there

Diesel got such a kick of the line it is as fun as the v8. Only thing is v8 rev up like a car which is really fun but hard to use as speed build up so fast

Diesel is no brainer but they are really hard to find in any configuration aside of barebone.
I found my diesel with the majority of options with the exception of AD which one will never find sitting on a lot, any way if one has to order it appears only a 2-3 week wait time as long as the dealer has any open slots.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Loving my d

Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
The best thing about the diesel is the resale value. I've looked at auction prices and researched all the various sites (kbb, nada, etc) and the diesel is worth much more than the 35i
Interesting that you say this... I am helping a friend with some research on x5s and I took a look at the lease residuals from RideWithG and I found that the new ds are showing 51% while the i's are staying at 57%.

Anyone have any idea why? I also noticed that the d's are a bit more expensive than similarly equipped i's (2010-2012).
Old 04-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Loving my d

Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
The residual question is actually somewhat off topic so I will start a new thread...
Old 04-18-2013, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
I really like my Diesel X5; however, I'm having second thought about owning a BMW diesel out of warranty.

Took my X5 in for a check engine light this week (still have six months on the warranty). Seems it needed, according to BMW test procedures, (a) the SCR metering valve cleaned and then (b) 2 new NOX sensors (Pre and Post) at $481 EACH. I guess they must manufacture those NOx sensors out of unobtainium.

Total Invoice?

$1,332.64

Sure glad I got the CEL/SES light now, and not 7 months down the road. I'm not sure if the longer Emissions warranty would cover the sensors and testing/labor outside of California (I believe California has some state law which requires greater warranty on emissions equipment than other states).

I never bought an extended warranty on a vehicle before, but if I decide to keep my X5, I'm thinking it might be a good investment.

So far this year, my X5 has been into the dealer 4 times for a total invoice bill of more than $4,200. And none of this was for any major" component failure (HKL module, rear tailgate struts, battery, tailgate gasket, etc.) And BMW NA stiffed the dealer on the battery replacement. Making monthly visits to the dealer for a 3 1/2 year-old vehicle seems excessive to me.

P.S. I guess that $481 price for the NOX sensor was a good deal, or an internal "charge-back" price -- BMW of South Atlanta, in their parts sales website, wants $610 for that part number. If you own a diesel, keep your fingers-crossed that the NOX sensors don't go bad 'cause you're looking at $1,200 a pair, plus installation! Oh, and out of curiosity, I looked-up the DPF on RealOEM. If you need a new DPF that runs around $2,617... plus labor.

Last edited by Penguin; 04-18-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Curious what would happen if you don't replace the NOx sensors at all out of warranty. If the DPF goes bad, you could always remove it I guess....
Old 04-18-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbmw View Post
Curious what would happen if you don't replace the NOx sensors at all out of warranty. If the DPF goes bad, you could always remove it I guess....
Unfortunately, the vehicle will not pass state inspection with a CEL/SES or emissions codes stored. If you are located in a location without emissions testing, not replacing them might be an option. But otherwise, it would take some illegal coding to bypass the SCR and DPF systems so that they don't throw OBD-II codes and prevent the vehicle from passing state inspection. (here in Illinois, you cannot renew your vehicle registration if it hasn't passed emissions testing).
Old 04-19-2013, 06:22 AM

No emission testing for diesels in Georgia....
Old 04-19-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
No emission testing for diesels in Georgia....
Your comment made be double-check the Illinois emissions testing requirements and it appears that all diesel-powered vehicles are exempt from emissions testing in Illinois. That certainly makes life simpler; however, I still find it amazing that the Federal government requires that these complex and expensive system be put onto diesels to reduce pollution (a worthy purpose); however, there is no testing requirement in Illinois to make sure they system is working, or even hasn't been removed. But then I guess this is Illinois, where the last two Governors last position was/is a few involuntary years in "The House of Poor Decisions" at the governmental expense.

Last edited by Penguin; 04-19-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:37 AM

!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:34 AM

In the long run, I believe state governments will start testing diesels as well. When, where and how tough remains to be seen.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
In the long run, I believe state governments will start testing diesels as well. When, where and how tough remains to be seen.
California does.

But in a pure example of lobbying screwing the consumer, a new diesel has NO exemption from testing... we get tested every 2 years. Whereas a new gasser has a 6 year 'new car' exemption. Just a pure $$$ grab by smog shop lobbyists
Old 04-20-2013, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
D is cheaper when you figure in the ECO credit.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Didn't a lot of people complained about 8 speed automatic transmission on the gasoline engine? That would be a reason to look at diesel before they introduce an 8 speed transmission. That would put a big plus on the D until they switched over.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
that 8 speed transmission on the 5.0 is definitely the best gearbox on the market. Anyways any 8 speed gears box will be shifting every 3 seconds and that alone is so annoying... Now I understand why they kept the 6 speed on the M. Gas mileage benefits are great but they do kill a bit the fun of driving.

Buy the diesel while you still can
Old 04-24-2013, 04:36 AM

Mein Auto: Acura MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. I do 70% of my driving in the city, and I enjoy my diesel immensely. It's peppy, and fun to drive, and gets awesome mileage for the size of the vehicle. The Q5 the X5 replaced averaged around 15 mpg in town, and the X5 has been averaging around 20. These are calculated by hand, not with the vehicle computers.

I second the advice to go drive both, and then decide. The choice will be pretty obvious once you've driven each.
I am also new here and just looking at the X5 diesel. What mpg do you find for the X5 on the Interstate?

George
Old 04-24-2013, 05:41 AM
Urban

Mein Auto: X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgec View Post
I am also new here and just looking at the X5 diesel. What mpg do you find for the X5 on the Interstate?

George
I'm not really able to competently answer that question yet, as I'm still 100 miles away from completing my break-in period, and I've not taken any long highway trips in the X5. In May, I have two extended road trips to take, so I'll post when back from those what my mileage turns out to be. I'm expecting it to be around the high 20s as others on here have posted, because I'm getting roughly the same city driving mileage as others here have reported.