Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 03-11-2013, 05:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 88 BMW 735i
Exclamation 740il no reverse ...

i just had the filter and fluid changed in transmission... at first it would move if kept say trans fail. now after doing the filter and fluid change. came to found out the old owner had it someone try to change fluid. but didnt put enuff in the trans. so now after i had that done yesturday.. now the reverse dont work. it goes in drive just will. and moves but no reverse... my tech sound it sounds like the sensor going bad. what sensor is the transmission sensor?
Ads by Google
Old 04-22-2013, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: '98 740 94'540 and a M6
Tranny issue....

Hey...

Well there's good news & bad here...

The good news.... you have fresh fluid in your tranny...and that's the first step. there are 2 possible problems with your tranny and it is very possible that 1. your issue might be as simple as a solenoid but it could also be 2. the reverse drum is defective/slipping/roken.

Now what I need to know is did your car go into reverse BEFORE your oil change (and I'm assuming you used the BMW equivalent fluid) You could change the valve body and your problems will go away(or have it rebuilt) that would ensure you have no defective solenoids, check ball failures occurring. but if the Drum has failed then you have to disassemble the unit to replace as I had to do on my e38

but have no fear there is a rebuilder of Valve bodies on the net that does it for about 300.00 and it has a warranty.

If you did the oil change your self then you can do the valve body...it just a few more screws to remove.

I found this guy who sold me a dip stick setup for my e38 and it really solved the issue of filling my tranny without going under the car & pumping the fluid up into it...a real time save especially if your going to change the valve body/fluid again. and I waould also change the filter again since you almost never get all the junk out of the converter. unless you flush it out with an exchanger.

Let me know what happens next
Old 04-23-2013, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 740il
Where did you find the dip stick kit looking all over??

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Bimmer App
Old 04-30-2013, 01:40 PM

Dipstick mod

Hello;

I got it from here,,,,

http://www.meurosport.com/5HP24_Dip_Stick.php
Old 05-02-2013, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: 99 740i
sorry to intrude but my 99 740i has lost all forward gears. any clues. it happend after a trans fluid change.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:03 AM

OK...and sorry to hear that...First off all gears does that include reverse? if not then you might be able to save this one. If you can remember when you changed the fluid was it very dark r did it have a burnt smell? if so then it might need just more than a fluid change. However if it came out somewhat decent then remove the oil & filter again.(a simple change if you have the dipstick modification. (Please use the Filtran filter) remove the valve body you can either do 2 things. 1) have it rebuilt at a shop they will clean it and test the solinoids or should test them. 2) there a guy on the internet that rebuilds them for about 125 with a core so you can get one from him first then send back yours. and lastly it could be your pump. Now if it is your pump then you have to remove the tranny anyway so while your there you should change the torque converter cause a lot of debris settles there during a fluid change and then redistributes in the system and causes problems like this. to make it easy do these tings first.
1) try the car in reverse see if it acts as normal or sluggish . This gear is usually high and needs a lot pump flow to work so it's a quick way to Estimate if the pump is working
2) Check the pump pressure this will have to be done at a shop or if you have the tools. If you had the tools then you would know this already...
3) Change the fluid & valve body. rebuild the valve body/clean the valve body. in any case the problem may just be where...in the valve body.
4) then of course remove the tranny & change the torque converter with the oil pump.

steps 2-4 could be done by you if you had the tools but would be better done by someone who has done it before. the cost of steps 2-4 is usually in the rebuild cost of the tranny, or they are suppose to check these things.

I know it's a lot to take in but look at it this way get the tranny done & you won't have to worry about it a again for another 100k but do change the oil regulary. Don't believe the lifetime oil crap that bmw says...Even your blood does a refresh every day and you don't even know it...
Old 05-11-2013, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 740il
Re: 740il no reverse ...

Nice blood analogy!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app