Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-19-2013, 12:02 PM
BMW Client Advisor

Mein Auto: Corvette
I've been reading here about the fuel economy on the Active5. They are very different from what I'm actually getting.

Here are my readings with over 300 miles on the odometer. I cruise around 65-70 mph range, I use ecopro mode. My average MPG readout now 27.8 MPG. My 2011 328xi was at 19.7. Both cars used the exact same way. When I use eco mode and I need (or want) faster acceleration I smack the shift into Drivers Sport, and off I go. At 65 MPH on the flat surface over 2 miles my instant fuel economy readout stays around 38-39 Mpg. That ain't bad.

I have to say, this car moves... Its a pumped up 535... yea, on a occasion I do "let it loose"... I'm well under 6 seconds 0-60... and it gets great gas mileage!

I was filling up every 5 days with the 328... I am on day 7 since filling it up, and still have a solid 1/4 tank of gas left! So I will be filling up every 8 days now. I suggest those looking for a 535 take a look at it.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:07 PM
BMW Client Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae86pwr View Post
Let's us know how the AH3 drives.

It's a much better setup than my AH5. The battery is much better placed.

Maybe I am too fat for my AH5. The electric drive is really good for off the line up to 10mph. Any lighter on the throttle will piss off the motorist in back of me.

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Bimmer App
I agree. I wish the AH5 could accelerate faster under electric only power... maybe the next generation. But it works great if you have to drive slow over a longer distance.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
I don't have an F10. I have an F04 which is a mild hybrid. I just like the additional benefits of the electrical system and e boost. I get slightly better than EPA city on the F04. Maybe by 1-2 mpg, but I didn't get it for mpg.

Family member has an F30 AH coming in soon so I'll have more experience with the full hybrid soon.
I'm getting 22.6 right now with a modded 335i and was sitting at 25-29 stock so I was getting +5-9 better than the combined and +2-3 better than highway

Can't really judge mods but most of our guys are in the teens
Old 04-21-2013, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 14 ActiveHybrid 3/YukonXL
Was anyone able to get summer tires with their AH5? Or just the all-seasons?
Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
I really wanted to like the Active 3. But the one I test drove last month had far and away the WORST brake feel of any car I have driven in the past 35 years. Not the worst German car. Not the worst new car. The worst car PERIOD, including a number of POS's my friends had in college, or that I had as rentals early in my career. Devastatingly bad. Soft spongy pedal, and no matter how much force was applied it felt like the car would not slow down. Pretty frightening, actually.

Shortest test drive I've ever taken. I couldn't wait to get back to the dealership.

I hope the Active 5 is better.
Musta been something wrong with the car you drove. I have an AH3 with M-sport, and the brakes are fine. My prior car was a 2012 E92 M3, so I have a good reference point for how BMW brakes should feel/behave.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennett64 View Post
Was anyone able to get summer tires with their AH5? Or just the all-seasons?
I don't think you can. I did on my AH3, but that's mainly because you can order M-sport on the AH3, whereas you can't on the AH5.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I don't think you can. I did on my AH3, but that's mainly because you can order M-sport on the AH3, whereas you can't on the AH5.
I'm seriously considering the AH3 for the M-sport and better steering. Test drove one Friday. It was a rocket.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I'm seriously considering the AH3 for the M-sport and better steering. Test drove one Friday. It was a rocket.
Yeah, get M-sport + DHP and you'll have a really quick car with perfect 50/50 balance. I really enjoy mine. I ordered it loaded to the gills, wouldn't have it any other way. Although I am tempted by a 2014 535D, mainly because of more rear room (I have two kids in car seats).
Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Yeah, get M-sport + DHP and you'll have a really quick car with perfect 50/50 balance. I really enjoy mine. I ordered it loaded to the gills, wouldn't have it any other way. Although I am tempted by a 2014 535D, mainly because of more rear room (I have two kids in car seats).
I also have two kids, but older. Have a 535i now and honestly, there's not that much more legroom in back versus the F30. Way more than my earlier E90s had.

I would also load it up, including DHP. I too am tempted by the 535d, but the car is driven primarily city, stop and go, therefore seems like the AH is best suited. Also love the lack of throttle lag in the AH.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I also have two kids, but older. Have a 535i now and honestly, there's not that much more legroom in back versus the F30. Way more than my earlier E90s had.

I would also load it up, including DHP. I too am tempted by the 535d, but the car is driven primarily city, stop and go, therefore seems like the AH is best suited. Also love the lack of throttle lag in the AH.
See, I need ya to talk me out of an F10

Since I've put 3000+ miles on my AH3, I can tell you where it really excels... same likely goes for the AH5, so it's relevant to this thread

Excels:
  • Medium distance trips, 15+ miles with some highway. This gives the car plenty of opportunities to charge the battery, as well as coast on battery power <40mph. Keep it in Eco Pro and you can get consistent 26+mpg. No more than 30mpg, however.
Falls short:
  • Stop and go traffic, short trips. I started working at a different location recently, that went from a 16mile commute with half highway, to 6 miles, all stop and go. Went from 27 mpg to about 23. That's better than a 335i, but not Prius-like. Basically if you're taking off from a lot of lights/stop signs, your mpg is going to suffer, and the battery power only helps somewhat. To take off from a light at any resemblance of speed, the engine is going to kick on in <1 second, which negates the benefits of electric-only power. The battery is good for coasting, or cruising along at parking lot speeds. Does OK in bumper to bumper traffic <20mph. But if you need to take off from a light and get up to 35mph, you're not using the battery very much, if at all.
  • Long highway trips. Does OK, 31-32mpg. But you're not really using the battery when you're cruising along at 70mph, so you're basically just driving a 335i with 8HP at this point. And can expect the same mpg.

If a 535D could return 35+mpg in stop and go, it would be really intriguing to me. I could use another 2-3" in rear legroom over the F30. And the F10 interior is definitely nicer than the F30. But the AH3 does drive rather sporty, and doesn't feel like a boat, at all. It's easy to park, and looks good. I drove a 535i before I got the AH3, and came away with the impression that it was very numb, not sporty at all. I was thinking that the LCI F10 would be better from a handling perspective, and the N57T would give it lotsa torque fun. But I dunno. I'll definitely test drive one when they're out later this summer. I really should keep the AH3, because I got a nice deal on it, and it will be paid off in just a couple of years.

Last edited by SamS; 04-22-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
See, I need ya to talk me out of an F10

Since I've put 3000+ miles on my AH3, I can tell you where it really excels... same likely goes for the AH5, so it's relevant to this thread

Excels:
  • Medium distance trips, 15+ miles with some highway. This gives the car plenty of opportunities to charge the battery, as well as coast on battery power <40mph. Keep it in Eco Pro and you can get consistent 26+mpg. No more than 30mpg, however.
Falls short:
  • Stop and go traffic, short trips. I started working at a different location recently, that went from a 16mile commute with half highway, to 6 miles, all stop and go. Went from 27 mpg to about 23. That's better than a 335i, but not Prius-like. Basically if you're taking off from a lot of lights/stop signs, your mpg is going to suffer, and the battery power only helps somewhat. To take off from a light at any resemblance of speed, the engine is going to kick on in <1 second, which negates the benefits of electric-only power. The battery is good for coasting, or cruising along at parking lot speeds. Does OK in bumper to bumper traffic <20mph. But if you need to take off from a light and get up to 35mph, you're not using the battery very much, if at all.
  • Long highway trips. Does OK, 31-32mpg. But you're not really using the battery when you're cruising along at 70mph, so you're basically just driving a 335i with 8HP at this point. And can expect the same mpg.

If a 535D could return 35+mpg in stop and go, it would be really intriguing to me. I could use another 2-3" in rear legroom over the F30. And the F10 interior is definitely nicer than the F30. But the AH3 does drive rather sporty, and doesn't feel like a boat, at all. It's easy to park, and looks good. I drove a 535i before I got the AH3, and came away with the impression that it was very numb, not sporty at all. I was thinking that the LCI F10 would be better from a handling perspective, and the N57T would give it lotsa torque fun. But I dunno. I'll definitely test drive one when they're out later this summer. I really should keep the AH3, because I got a nice deal on it, and it will be paid off in just a couple of years.
My current F10 has sport, active steering, anti-roll. But it doesn't drive like a 3. And I kinda miss that. The AH5 isn't available with active steering, or even summer tires. So it's a little softer. Still fast though.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
My current F10 has sport, active steering, anti-roll. But it doesn't drive like a 3. And I kinda miss that. The AH5 isn't available with active steering, or even summer tires. So it's a little softer. Still fast though.
I always figured Active Steering/Anti Roll would give the F10 a more sporty character than the passive M-sport suspension. Is that not the case? Just trying to understand the best OEM options to get the F10 to handle as close as possible to my current F30 w/M-sport + DHP.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I always figured Active Steering/Anti Roll would give the F10 a more sporty character than the passive M-sport suspension. Is that not the case? Just trying to understand the best OEM options to get the F10 to handle as close as possible to my current F30 w/M-sport + DHP.
I believe it is the case, but there's no getting around the size and heft of the F10. The 4 wheel active steering has also been a pain to keep aligned. I've probably had 6 alignments on the car and it never seems aligned. Finally I've just given up. It was a very early-build F10 though.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535D
Re: ActiveHybrid 5

I have just bought my first Beemer - 2011 535d M sport with 36k klms (about 22k miles) here in Australia.
After a tank and a half of mixed driving I am getting around 8l/100 (29 mpg)average (around 900 to 1000 klms per tank).
Highway cruising returns around 5.5l/100 (40mpg).
Although I haven't timed it, it feels like the 0-100kph (0-62mph) claim of 5.5 seconds is about right.
I am impressed that a diesel with 275/30/20 pirellis will break traction off the line when provoked.

Mine is MY11, but from MY12 onwards they have start/stop, better fuel economy and more power and torque.

So on numbers alone, I can't see why/how the ah5 will sell here in Australia against the current 535d.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-26-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: '02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc11514 View Post
I've been reading here about the fuel economy on the Active5. They are very different from what I'm actually getting.

Here are my readings with over 300 miles on the odometer. I cruise around 65-70 mph range, I use ecopro mode. My average MPG readout now 27.8 MPG. My 2011 328xi was at 19.7. Both cars used the exact same way. When I use eco mode and I need (or want) faster acceleration I smack the shift into Drivers Sport, and off I go. At 65 MPH on the flat surface over 2 miles my instant fuel economy readout stays around 38-39 Mpg. That ain't bad.

I have to say, this car moves... Its a pumped up 535... yea, on a occasion I do "let it loose"... I'm well under 6 seconds 0-60... and it gets great gas mileage!

I was filling up every 5 days with the 328... I am on day 7 since filling it up, and still have a solid 1/4 tank of gas left! So I will be filling up every 8 days now. I suggest those looking for a 535 take a look at it.

What do you think of your car now that you have had it longer? Am curious, as I am considering the Active5 as well. Thanks for the info you have already given and looking forward to hearing any other insight. I have a 60 mile round trip commute in rush hour traffic daily hence it appears to be somewhat similar to yours as my 330CI takes about the same filling as your 328 currently.

Thanks again,
Old 12-26-2013, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535dx; 2013 X5 35i
eksath, since you're in Miami I'm going to assume that a good part of your 60 mile commute is either on the Turnpike or on I95. If that's the case, have you considered the Diesel? The Hybrid might be better for in-city driving but it's really not a good deal for most people. I have a 42 miles commute about 50/50 city/highway and I'm getting about 28-29mpg on comfort mode and being fairly aggressive on the go pedal when merging. Either way, get the Stop and Go ACC since you have the construction to deal with. FWIW, I've hit well over 40mpg on the instant gauge and the graph showed close to 60mpg on a few trips but that's not a good representation of actual use. I'm seeing ~580 miles per tank in real world use in hilly conditions.
Current2014 535d xDrive Imperial Blue|Amaro Brown Ext Merino|M Sport|Cold Weather|4-Zone|Driver Assistance|Driver Assistance Plus with ACC Stop & Go|Dynamic Handling Package|LED Pkg|Luxury Seating|Premium Package|Sport Automatic Transmission|Soft-Close doors|Sunshades|HK Premium Sound|Night Vision
2013 X5 35i TiAg/Blk
Past 2007 530i/6|2002 X5 4.4i|2000 540i/6|1999 M Roadster|1989 535iA|1984 533i/5|1983 533i/5|1977 530i/4
Old 12-27-2013, 06:04 AM
BMW Client Advisor

Have over 11,000 miles on it now. No problems have cropped up. Mileage is excellent, power is more than enough especially when in "Sport" mode. If you get one you will notice a little hesitation at times in mostly ecopro from a stop when using a lot of electrical. At times we have all 4 heated seats going, rear and front defroster, radio etc. Sometimes it does it more frequesntly than others and mostly under light acceleration. Quick accel shows no hesitation. I wouldn't let it deter me from getting another.

My daily round trip is about 50 miles. Many times in traffic. I just love it when I'm crawling along at 15- 20 mph and my tachometer is at "0"
Old 12-27-2013, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: '02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaRedM View Post
eksath, since you're in Miami I'm going to assume that a good part of your 60 mile commute is either on the Turnpike or on I95.

You are very close in your deduction!

I use I-95 mostly. I am blowing through about $250 a month in express lane tolls! (My schedule is such that i cannot adjust it to and the express bus is not an option :-( )

I expect the toll $ to get higher as the express lanes are going to get extended up further north all the way to Sunrise and then beyond to West Palm Beach!!!!

Currently, hybrids get a free pass on Express lanes. That will equate to substantial $$ saving to me. I realize this feature may go away at some point but i also think it will be around for a few more years to promote hybrids.

Quote:
If that's the case, have you considered the Diesel?
I am not averse to Diesel having used a A4 diesel during my time in Europe. It is a close front runner however the free toll subsidy listed above makes this less $attractive for now.

Quote:
The Hybrid might be better for in-city driving but it's really not a good deal for most people. I have a 42 miles commute about 50/50 city/highway and I'm getting about 28-29mpg on comfort mode and being fairly aggressive on the go pedal when merging. Either way, get the Stop and Go ACC since you have the construction to deal with. FWIW, I've hit well over 40mpg on the instant gauge and the graph showed close to 60mpg on a few trips but that's not a good representation of actual use. I'm seeing ~580 miles per tank in real world use in hilly conditions.

Thanks for the insight. This is helpful information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc11514 View Post
Have over 11,000 miles on it now. No problems have cropped up. Mileage is excellent, power is more than enough especially when in "Sport" mode. If you get one you will notice a little hesitation at times in mostly ecopro from a stop when using a lot of electrical. At times we have all 4 heated seats going, rear and front defroster, radio etc. Sometimes it does it more frequesntly than others and mostly under light acceleration. Quick accel shows no hesitation. I wouldn't let it deter me from getting another.

My daily round trip is about 50 miles. Many times in traffic. I just love it when I'm crawling along at 15- 20 mph and my tachometer is at "0"
Thanks for update. I really appreciate this information. It is extremely helpful datapoint.

Last edited by eksath; 12-27-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 740i
5 hybrid

Local dealer offering a 2013 for $54k with premium & sport pkg; any insight on reselling this car with 2014 diesels coming out?

Anyone have any comments on how they like their hybrid after driving for several months?

Thanks!