Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2013, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 530i touring
Do you maintain your x5 e53 yourself?...Your experience appreciated!

Hey Guys

I'm considering a mid 2000's x5 as a daily driver for my wife. It would replace an 05 Envoy with 106K on the clock. It has been a great car with no major issues. Just regular maintenance which I do myself.

We also have a 94 530it that my dad left us when he passed a couple years ago. It's used as my daily driver. I've admired BMW's, but probably wouldn't have owned one if not for the the inheritance. The touring has really got my attention! I've done quite a bit of maintenance work on it in the past year, and it runs and performs great especially for a 20 yr old vehicle, and exciting to drive! Which makes maintaining it a pleasure. I think it's possible to get another 100k out of the wagon.

So here's the question...What's been your experience maintaining your own e53? And, am I in my right mind thinking I can maintain an x5 just because I've had success with my e34, and Envoy? Ok, 2 questions. Oh yeah, one more. What to be aware for when considering an x5? The x5 appears to be quite a bit more complex that the e34, and as my local BMW indy puts it, can be a bit of a grab bag to find a quality used one.

I know my way around vehicle mechanics fairly well. Confident with engines and components, brakes, suspension, reasonably confident with transmissions, and interiors. My weak spots are body work and electronics, but can do ok with good guidance. However, wouldn't consider myself a mechanic.

I've done the following on the wagon...brakes, radiator, water pump and hoses, all power steering hoses, valve cover gaskets, plugs, intake manifold gaskets, motor mounts, front strut inserts, timing chain tensioner, and a few other niggles. Other experience includes head gasket replacement, r&r transmissions, wheel bearings, and full rebuild and machining on 56 chevy years ago.

Your input is appreciated!
Ads by Google