Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-23-2013, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535Ix (soon)
Sport Seats with the M Sport Package?

Hi, Just ordered a 535iX with the MSport package. The sales guy talked me out of the Contour seats, stating that the MSport package comes with "Sports Seats" already, so I dont need the Contour. However, cant find any specs or info on the difference between the seats that come with Msport, versus the traditional seats. Any insight would be apprecaited. Tx
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
The main difference is the thigh supports that extend out the front of the seat.

Base seats don't have this feature.

I have not compared them lately, but I am sure there are more differences with stitching, headrest, side bolsters as in past models.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i x-drive
Having just bought a 2013 535i with M-sport a few weeks ago myself, I'm almost positive that the seats in any 5 series without multi-contour are the same regardless of m-sport. They had 2 m-sport packages to choose. 1 with mutli-contour and one without. The one without looked like it had the same seats as a non m-sport. There were no thigh extensions.

Hope that helps,
Ryan

2013 535i x-drive / Alpine White / M-Sport / Modding begins...
Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i

You are correct. I too have a m sport and I have the regular seats in them. The seats are extra (multi contour seats). Not worth the money. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1366729551.478417.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	372778

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-23-2013, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
In Europe you can get a variety of seats. I have a photo of the "standard" sport seats from 2010 somewhere, but you can also find online.

1. On the Euro sport seats, the seat back and headrest look the same as the standard seats, although the bolsters could be larger. The thigh bolster is squared off (runs parallel with the rest of the bottom cushion stitching).
2. On the M-Sport seats, the seat back actually looks like the seat in the M5.
3. HOWEVER, the M5 has the better headrest (my friend called it the "Darth Vadar seat").
4. In the USA, you either go for the standard seats or 18-way comfort (unless you get an M5). The thigh bolster tapers OUT instead of running parallel like the Euro sport seat / M5 bottom cushion.

You can find a picture of the European M-Sport seat from a guy in Austria who just converted from Alcantara to leather (third party shop):

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689601
Old 04-23-2013, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
I have a 535i on order that just completed production today. There are pictures of sport seats in the 5 series brochure but they are not available in the US. Your only choices are standard seats or comfort seats. The comfort seats are what most folks in the US think of as sport seats but you can't get sport seats in the US. Make darn sure that the standard seats are what you want because that is what you have ordered no matter what it shows in the brochure. If that's not what you wanted you can change your order before it goes into production.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post
The main difference is the thigh supports that extend out the front of the seat.

Base seats don't have this feature.

I have not compared them lately, but I am sure there are more differences with stitching, headrest, side bolsters as in past models.
A more important feature of the multi contour seat is the ability to curve the back of the seat.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Pastafarian Extraordinair

Mein Auto: 335d
Whatever you do, get the comfort seats. They are so much better than the standard seats. I have yet to encounter a person who got them and didn't think they were worth every penny.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Pastafarian Extraordinair

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagu View Post
A more important feature of the multi contour seat is the ability to curve the back of the seat.
100% agreed. I was shocked on how much more comfortable the seats were with this feature.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagu View Post
I have a 2011 with the sport package (not the M sport) although I do have the 351 wheels.

The car came with the sport seats with thigh extension and the "curve back" adjustment.

Are these called multi-contour now? They were simply call sport seats when I got my car.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:06 AM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Byte View Post
Whatever you do, get the comfort seats. They are so much better than the standard seats. I have yet to encounter a person who got them and didn't think they were worth every penny.
The seats topic has been covered many times on this forum. The bottom line for me (and many others agree) is this:

1. The multi-contour seats are probably better than the standard seats. The upper back adjustment makes them worth it to me.

2. The multi-contour seats are not necessarily more comfortable than the standard seats.

3. The multi-contour seats in the F10 are not as good as the multi-contour seats in the E60 or in other previous BMW's. And they are not all that comfortable on the lower back for some people (which is why, sometimes, the standard seats are more comfortable).

4. Probably get them, but they could be (and have been in the past) much better.

Personally, I wish I had my E60 multi-contour seats back.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry

Last edited by cordoor; 04-23-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 07 525xi
I have the comfort seats and love them, having vented seats in the summer is great.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX

There are two seats available in the US: standard and multi-contour. No comfort. No sport.

As of now, MSport does not bundle with the multicontour. Prior to 2013 they had come as part if both sport and MSport

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-23-2013, 11:16 AM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
There are two seats available in the US: standard and multi-contour. No comfort. No sport.
Correct. I said comfort when I meant multi-contour. I thought the term was being used interchangeably. Thanks for clarifying.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 04-23-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Byte View Post
I find that they have a lump mid-seat.

Having had two sets, the new one has a softer back pad. A little better, but not as good as Audi seats and standard BMW sport seats.

I like the M5 seats better too.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBreed View Post
Hi, Just ordered a 535iX with the MSport package. The sales guy talked me out of the Contour seats, stating that the MSport package comes with "Sports Seats" already, so I dont need the Contour. However, cant find any specs or info on the difference between the seats that come with Msport, versus the traditional seats. Any insight would be apprecaited. Tx
According to the BMW website, the M-Sport package comes with sport seats:

"M Sport package.

Aesthetics in their most dynamic form: the M Sport package for the BMW 5 Series Sedan. Experience the visible and perceptible expression of an untameable yearning for more dynamics.

Driven by downforce: the aerodynamics package for front and rear apron. The rear diffuser and M rear spoiler noticeably improve the pressure on the rear axle, particularly at high speeds. Experience the BMW 5 Series Sedan anew together with the M Sport suspension and the M Light alloy wheels 350 M in 18 inch or 351 M in 19 inch. Connoisseurs appreciate details such as the tailpipe in dark chrome, designed to harmonise with the optional paint finish in Carbon Black metallic exclusive to the M Sport package.

The interior also displays its sporting side: with Aluminium Hexagon interior trim strips and BMW Individual roof liner in anthracite. Moulded Sport seats offer side support even at the high lateral accelerations mastered perfectly with the M leather steering wheel. Providing additional support on the steering wheel are distinctive thumb rests, the thick contoured rim and multifunction keys."

Last edited by The X Men; 04-23-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sport Package

The seats ARE well worth the money and are THE BEST seat your butt will ever sit in. Just ask anyone who ponied up the extra money!!!

BMWCCA Member #458528 www.bmwcca.org

"If Things Seem Under Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough"
Mario Andretti
Old 04-23-2013, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sport Package

Meaning contoured seats of course.

BMWCCA Member #458528 www.bmwcca.org

"If Things Seem Under Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough"
Mario Andretti
Old 04-23-2013, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcruiser View Post
I have the comfort seats and love them, having vented seats in the summer is great.
agree. I would not have a five without them. They are incredibly comfortable. I did a 1030 trip straight through by myself in the car - a trip I have done in several other cars. The BMW was by far the most comfortable.
2013 BMW 1600 GT---2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000---2012 Ducati Panigale
Old 04-23-2013, 03:24 PM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymaster View Post
The seats ARE well worth the money and are THE BEST seat your butt will ever sit in. Just ask anyone who ponied up the extra money!!!
I ponied up the money for the multi-contour seats with ventilation, massage, and butt warmers, and they have fewer features than the multi-contour seats in the E60 and they are not as comfortable. They are good and I would get them again, but they are not "THE BEST" and definitely not the most comfortable.

So I guess don't ask me.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
I ponied up the money for the multi-contour seats with ventilation, massage, and butt warmers, and they have fewer features than the multi-contour seats in the E60 and they are not as comfortable. They are good and I would get them again, but they are not "THE BEST" and definitely not the most comfortable.

So I guess don't ask me.
Seat comfort differ from person to person, but most people find the multi contour seats very comfortable, almost a must have when buying a F10.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big sung View Post
You are correct. I too have a m sport and I have the regular seats in them. The seats are extra (multi contour seats). Not worth the money. Attachment 372778

Bull**** they are not worth the money. They are worth every penny.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 550i

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1366756252.395277.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	372834

This is the seat on my 2013 550i

Fsh

Old 04-23-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymaster View Post

Like me - twice (once by choice; once thrown in on a spec car)?

BMW CCA # 493835
Old 04-23-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fshxprt View Post
Attachment 372834

This is the seat on my 2013 550i

Fsh

M-sport irrelevant here - same comfort seats regardless