Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 AM
FCK HONDA

Mein Auto: 1995 540i SPORT /6 spd
Cheap Repair Idea's - Torn Bolster / Glove Box Gap

Hello, guys.. most of you know me by now.. Welcome to the rest.. Today i have decided to go ahead an post some of my recent semi - Ghetto attempts at fixing or at least masking what i feel are to all to common BMW problems..

First Off: THE TORN SEAT BOLSTER - COST 22$

The goal was to make a seat bolster cover out of new material that goes over the original and blends in at least well enough to not be noticed by a few people who glance at it quickly during beemerfest 2013 next month..

Before Picture

Im sure im not th only one who has this problem and want to hide it cheaply..

So i bought a yard or two of close looking material at joans hahaha 12$ and some spray adhesive..

Layed it over teh bolster to see what i had to do, I REALISE EVERY EDGE CAN BE TUCKED UNDER! BIG HELP

I did then trim it to the seats contour, and made a stencil of it's side profile that then traced
onto a second piece of leather(not shown sorry) and pinned together inside out..

I the borrowed a some thread and machine from my girlfriend who was amused to say the least as she looked on.. I sewed it up best i could 1" in from the edge (my first time trying this ever fyi)

the rounded corner at the end being the hardest part, then went on to flip it right side out again to check my seem and then went to test fit it

NOT BAD, Im adding some stuffing to fill the bolster and give its shape back, also cleaning the old parts of the seat and trying to dirty the new area to blend in.. All in all 22$ and even i forget its there some times.. pretty often actually..

HOPEFULLY A FEW PEOPLE WONT NOTICE IF THE TAKE A QUICK PEEK AT BEEMERFEST..

Its just nice to not see a big hole in it every time i get in..

So now, the GLOVE BOX GAP

BEFORE

Yukkk right?

So get repair to the rescue!

99 cent store foam knee board

stick it in and mark it, and cut it.. then see how it fits

added and end piece wrapped it in duck tape

Add fabric and leave it in. i have not actually wrapped it yet this was for a picture sorry..

I know most people are not into this, but many out there with these problems are much more talented than I. Maybe someone can improve upon my method or will be inspired to try there own idea.. Just putting it out there hoping it helps someone.. I like it for now!

fck jdm / fck honda

Last edited by imae34driver; 04-23-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 525
Cool gap fix bro.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Josh

Mein Auto: 95 540i m sport
Uggg come on man really....you know if you can find a good sport seat that has a decent bolster,you can swap out it out. I'm not even gonna start on the gap fix. Search youngin' come on.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:44 PM
FCK HONDA

Though you were bigger than than M540Fella.. your just a Mean Fella really

i plan to replace my seats but for now.. i like it
Old 04-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Josh

It's your car. Just remember the saying "Anything worth doing is worth doing right." I'm not being mean but when you come to a BMW FORUM and post fixes like that your asking for someone to comment on it. You can say how much you hate hondas but then you do things just like a honda boy.
I'm sure you're a young kid that doesn't have any experience but this is a 25 yr old chassis. If you search any problem can be fixed most of the time very easily.
I searched for a problem last night and had it fixed this morning. Heck pm a veteran with a question or two.

Last edited by M540FELLA; 04-23-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
m540fella is grumpy today.

The side bolster I think you should get the covers redone. It will be cheaper and longer lasting than used seats. Taking the leather off the seats is pretty easy.

I'm all for cheap fixes m540fella needs to realize that most e34s cost $2k and are mostly used has cheap commuter cars now.
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert
Old 04-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hh3uunp View Post
m540fella is grumpy today.

The side bolster I think you should get the covers redone. It will be cheaper and longer lasting than used seats. Taking the leather off the seats is pretty easy.

I'm all for cheap fixes m540fella needs to realize that most e34s cost $2k and are mostly used has cheap commuter cars now.
Who said I was grumpy. Just because people are on budget doesn't mean one should cut corners.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Old 04-23-2013, 04:37 PM
New to S5X Tinkering

Mein Auto: 1995 e34 S52b32/5
hmm. Not a complete fail because you tried something different...

BUT.

I could have saved you some time and told you that you can adjust the glove box at the hinge in the rear of the glove box.
Edit: It would require the removal of the glove box or at least loosening so the box drops without support exposing the bar and clamps.

As for the seat.... your on your own there.

If you want a complete match you have to study the threading on the good bolsters.
I did to my old comfort seats (before I completely revamped them)
Hell IIRC you could hit the yard find a comfort seat snatch that piece off and restitch it to the sport seat.
Yes they are different leathers But the comfort seat bolster is a close match on a budget.

Every once in a while the Lion has to show the Jackals who he is...
- Christopher Walken "The Lion Speech"
95 e34 525 5 spd S52 Swap... The new Garden State Grocery Getter projekt.

Last edited by MySatinDoll; 04-23-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hh3uunp View Post
I don't think the "welfare BMW" approach works with E34s, if you know what I mean. No sane person looks at the value of the car except when assessing expensive repairs like the engine or transmission. Be cheapstake about it and huge repair bills will loom and kill ya.

However, cheap and good fixes are always cool for the sheer thrill of 'beating the system'. ANd sometimes, they are better than a proper repair.

That being said, bro if its just a matter of adjusting hinges and not about dealing with warpage, you should do what mysatindoll suggested immediately.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:47 PM
FCK HONDA

my glove box does not adjust anymore.. the handle broke and the old owner broke into the glovebox with a pry bar i guess.. i replaced the handle but it refuses to shut fully now..

anyone wants to find me or sell me a sport seat that is matching in color, has no tears and every single function works still for 22$.. please PM me..

It is not a repair so much as a temporary cover up.. WHO cares What You Think..

if it is not useful to you, then its not for you. MOVE ON..

fck jdm / fck honda

Last edited by imae34driver; 04-23-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 PM
New to S5X Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by imae34driver View Post
my glove box does not adjust anymore.. the handle broke and the old owner broke into the glovebox with a pry bar i guess.. i replaced the handle but it refuses to shut fully now..
Still not a hard fix.

Sorry I don't have my e34 anymore to fully go through the R&R with you.
However heres what you do. (strictly by memory)

The glove is suspended at 4 points: 2 straps in the front and a bar with clamp style hangers in the rear.

First detach the straps. The box should then fall.( Do not lose the pins. They are a real PITA to find elsewhere and they break easy)
This should expose the upper cover of the box (it's on the underside of the dash)
Remove it
(I think there are either clips or screws so keep a philips for the screws and a flat head screwdriver for the clips handy)

After you remove the cover there are 3 or 4 (can't remember) bolts.
Take a 10mm socket and loosen till you can move the box without dropping the whole thing to the floor. This is the first adjustment area.
Second is the clamp brackets on the support bar located in the rear of the box.
Unfortunately iirc you'll have to drop the box to the floor to adjust them.
Basically they either move left to right.

So in review. The bar support adjustment is left to right. The loosening of the 3 or 4 bolts above the box are front to back.

BTW this is also the way to get to the final stage fan resistor or sword except you drop the box and assembly.

As well this will allow you to reinstall the locking mechanisms on both the top aand on the box lid itself.

And don't mind M540fella. He's just showing some ol' tough love thats all.
We all do it at times... at least I do.

Lastly get a bentley so I don't have to explain this again... see what I mean.Tough love.

Good luck.

Last edited by MySatinDoll; 04-23-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySatinDoll View Post
Still not a hard fix.

Sorry I don't have my e34 anymore to fully go through the R&R with you.
However heres what you do. (strictly by memory)

The glove is suspended at 4 points: 2 straps in the front and a bar with clamp style hangers in the rear.

First detach the straps. The box should then fall.( Do not lose the pins. They are a real PITA to find elsewhere and they break easy)
This should expose the upper cover of the box (it's on the underside of the dash)
Remove it
(I think there are either clips or screws so keep a philips for the screws and a flat head screwdriver for the clips handy)

After you remove the cover there are 3 or 4 (can't remember) bolts.
Take a 10mm socket and loosen till you can move the box without dropping the whole thing to the floor. This is the first adjustment area.
Second is the clamp brackets on the support bar located in the rear of the box.
Unfortunately iirc you'll have to drop the box to the floor to adjust them.
Basically they either move left to right.

So in review. The bar support adjustment is left to right. The loosening of the 3 or 4 bolts above the box are front to back.

BTW this is also the way to get to the final stage fan resistor or sword except you drop the box and assembly.

As well this will allow you to reinstall the locking mechanisms on both the top aand on the box lid itself.

And don't mind M540fella. He's just showing some ol' tough love thats all.
We all do it at times... at least I do.

Lastly get a bentley so I don't have to explain this again... see what I mean.Tough love.

Good luck.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:13 AM
Banned

Quote:

anyone wants to find me or sell me a sport seat that is matching in color, has no tears and every single function works still for 22$.. please PM me..

It is not a repair so much as a temporary cover up.. WHO cares What You Think..

if it is not useful to you, then its not for you. MOVE ON..

Does that needless attitude make you feel good or just less bad ?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
Man, This Forum is really sucking hard now. :o(((
Old 04-24-2013, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: '95 525it '95 525i/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardriver View Post
man, this forum is really sucking hard now. :o(((
+1

1995 525it/5 98,000 miles
1995 525i 123,000 miles
1995 530i
Old 04-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Josh

+2 I hardly post here anymore b/c of it....too many causal owners no enthusiasts.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:16 PM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
I leave for like a month....lol

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34
Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsignor View Post
I leave for like a month....lol

Old 04-24-2013, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: '95 525it '95 525i/M
I don't understand why we have to constantly down people. Here's an idea, if you don't like what he's done, then shut up and don't say anything. It seems that half of the people here are just sitting at their computer waiting for something that someone does that they don't approve of so they can start bashing. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, THEN MOVE IN TO THE NEXT THREAD. It really isn't worth it. When people ask you for their opinion they aren't asking you to be a jack*ss.

1995 525it/5 98,000 miles
1995 525i 123,000 miles
1995 530i
Old 04-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Ball Don't lie

I might go back to the bimmerforums. They are more help. I am mainly a e39 person but since I'm fixing up my brothers e34 I've been spending a lot of time here. What I get tired of are the people who have 1 post and start a thread saying "my enigne is overheating" and then just disappear. I think there should be rules on people under 100 or 50 posts making threads.

I started an e34 won't start because I have literally gone over everything 3 times and still can't get it to go.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:56 PM
New to S5X Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by txrealtor View Post
I don't understand why we have to constantly down people. Here's an idea, if you don't like what he's done, then shut up and don't say anything. It seems that half of the people here are just sitting at their computer waiting for something that someone does that they don't approve of so they can start bashing. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, THEN MOVE IN TO THE NEXT THREAD. It really isn't worth it. When people ask you for their opinion they aren't asking you to be a jack*ss.
don't go to bf.c e34 kingdom... they're worst.

All jokes aside. I think the issue is that much of the information people post threads about are searchable.
It's understood that anyone new will ask questions or post about topics which have been covered.

That said, New ideas or fixes are NOT looked down upon. Humored, maybe. But definitely not down played as a J.O. move.

That's why I stated Tough love.

Now BF.C was mentioned. I'm a long time member over there.
I've been through the hazing, good times and as of late a bunch of crap over there.
I have quite a few good friends there who I converse with outside the forum.
Some of which are here like m540fella, Joe, and a few others.

Currently I don't post over there for the element has changed from what it once was.
So it's not my thing anymore.
However one thing that hasn't changed is the low tolerance for anything less than spec.

So If you feel that the tolerance here is bad. Don't go to BF.C.
Your almost guaranteed to get your fireman kicked into the dirt with the amount of flaming they will produce.

As for me I'm always willing to help if it's in my scope of expertise m30b35/ bodywork/ or even euro parts wise.
Just like I gave the OP a easy way to fix his glove box.

but I'm also known for tough love.

Edit: Oops made a boo boo.

After thinking for a while:

If we want to change that and make the atmosphere more friendly. Let's all talk about it.
There are plenty of enthusiasts here to sustain the subforum.
To the new crowd coming in. Understand this forum like others is designed to bring people together.
However there are always guidelines. Some mentioned some unsaid.

IMO read and search the topics you have questions about.
If you can't find your answer. Then create a thread but be as detailed as possible.
If you have a new idea sure post it. You'll get opinions good and bad. But so what.
We aren't all supposed to lick each others balls over it. It's only opinions, deal with it.

IE:
I created a DIY on racing seats. People praised it some tried to crap on it.
But it I didn't let them piss in my cornflakes about it.
I kept it moving. Now it's a fixture over at BF.C.
Now years later I'm selling them and have very few bites.
But do I care. Except for the fact they're taking up space. No I don't.

But that's my long winded take.
Ya'll do what you want. I got to take a massive crap.

Last edited by MySatinDoll; 04-24-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by txrealtor View Post

If you post on a forum, its par for course for people to respond, sometimes robustly. We are adults, generally men, and not fragile beings by definition.

Here's an idea, if you don't like robust responses, don't post, or post with 10 disclaimers about how you don't intend to hurt anyone's feelings. Sounds stupid, doesn't it ? Just like people getting offended by comments / criticism not clearly intended to be personal attacks. Heck we've even had a tad of that here and there with no issues. This is normal.

Suppression is an overreaction just like an OTT reply like "who cares what you think".

Moderators were invented to make sure this doesn't get way out of hand anyway so why worry ?

Imae34, Fella was being robust but ribbing you in a good natured way. Youngin' does not have to be taken as an insult when there's no history of that between them. Fella is an old dog judging by his comments and Imae34 is clearly younger. And he could have REALLY whacked you for your reply but didn't.

Last edited by allenbee; 04-24-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Ball Don't lie

its the internet.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:41 PM
FCK HONDA

IT DID STATE CLEARLY in the post..

Many are probably NOT into this. But maybe someone will make use of the information.. and that this is a quick cheap cover up for beemerfest only.. not a repair..

so his uncalled for condescending comments were just a reflection of his inability to read. If he took the time to read the whole post it would be clear that if this was no use to you.. its just not for you..

Posting negatively on something that does not relate to you because you, just so happen to have an opinion.. is no use to me or anyone else here..

Who would not realize they can replace the whole seat?

Quote of the day" Opinions are like assholes. We all have one, We just want you to keep yours to yourself..

It asked for opinions "NO WHERE" in my post. good or bad.. just provided info..

fck jdm / fck honda
Old 04-26-2013, 03:04 PM
545i pilot

Mein Auto: e60 545i e34 540 e32 740
Re: Cheap Repair Idea's - Torn Bolster / Glove Box Gap

Quote:
IT DID STATE CLEARLY in the post..

Many are probably NOT into this. But maybe someone will make use of the information.. and that this is a quick cheap cover up for beemerfest only.. not a repair..

so his uncalled for condescending comments were just a reflection of his inability to read. If he took the time to read the whole post it would be clear that if this was no use to you.. its just not for you..

Posting negatively on something that does not relate to you because you, just so happen to have an opinion.. is no use to me or anyone else here..

Who would not realize they can replace the whole seat?

Quote of the day" Opinions are like assholes. We all have one, We just want you to keep yours to yourself..

It asked for opinions "NO WHERE" in my post. good or bad.. just provided info..

fck jdm / fck honda
We have opinions here dude
Fck sensitivities (and honda)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using BimmerApp mobile app
Closed Thread