Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-02-2013, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Issues with 2011 528 - Vibration in Steering Wheel

I just had the run flat tires changed on my 2011 528 BMW and noticed there is a vibration in the steering wheel. When I called the Service Department, they had me come back in to have the Tire Department check the tires for any defaults and rechecked the balancing, at which time, they told me everything is fine. I know what I feel in the steering wheel and I know that I have driven this car for the last two years and never experienced this.

Has anyone else had this same issue with their BMW, if yes, did you get the issue resolved and how.

Ann
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: Dirty-Thirty
Welcome, I moved you over to the F10 forum.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2013 535xi M-Sport
Did they replace with the same ROF tires?

2013 535xi M-Sport | Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Trim | Premium | Cold | Technology | Driver Assistance | Sport Transmission | Sport Seats | Premium hi-fi
Prior: 2011 535xi Sedan | Titanium Silver/Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sport Transmission | Sirius | PDC
Prior: 2009 528xi Sedan | Monaco Blue/Cream Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sirius | Xenon
Prior: 2006 330xi Sadan | Alpine White/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav

Old 04-03-2013, 05:02 PM

I'm not sure what ROF tires are, but yes they did replace them with the same Goodyear runflat tires and they were the exact same type. Any suggestions?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2013 535xi M-Sport
ROF-Run on flat, I herd of some other ROF tires on the F10's causing vibration, not stock.

2013 535xi M-Sport | Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Trim | Premium | Cold | Technology | Driver Assistance | Sport Transmission | Sport Seats | Premium hi-fi
Prior: 2011 535xi Sedan | Titanium Silver/Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sport Transmission | Sirius | PDC
Prior: 2009 528xi Sedan | Monaco Blue/Cream Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sirius | Xenon
Prior: 2006 330xi Sadan | Alpine White/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav

Old 04-03-2013, 05:34 PM

My 528 is a 2011 model, besides balancing them they also did a front in alignment, and I asked the dealership if that had anything to do with it and they told me no.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
The alignment could be the problem. I would be more inclined to think that your tires are out of balance or one of the tires has excessive road force. Have your dealer do a road force on the tires and see if your problem disappears.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix sport
Your problem could be related to an off center belt in your new tire (a manufacturing defect) or a poor tire balance by the dealer. The dealer replaced the tires on my 2011 535 and I immediately noticed a vibration issue. Six balance attempts at the dealer did not fix it although the service manager drove the car and acknowledged it was there and was pronounced.

I took it to a tire dealer that has a Hunter Road Force Balancer (very important that they have this particular balancer) who identified the belt problem even though the tire passed all of the Hunter tests for balance, road force and run-out. I took it back to the dealer to replace the tire. The dealer brought in the factory engineer who personally observed the balance process (BMW dealers use the Hunter also) and declared that everything was perfect. Actually it was now worse than before. Another trip to the tire dealer showed that weights were left off of one tire which was why the vibration was worse. That told me something about the capability of the factory field engineer and the dealership service department.

I replaced the defective tire at the tire dealer and had the tires rebalanced once again and the problem disappeared. The bottom line is that your BMW dealer may not be capable and you should take it to a good tire dealer to have it checked out.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
I had pulsing in the brakes and vibration at higher speeds. I went in and they did an alignment and a tire balance which both were way off. They also changed my rotors and pads which were warped. After that it was perfect.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 PM

When I took the car back for the second time, they did some type of test on the tires and told me the tires were within the BMW guidelines. I asked about the alignment too because they had me do an alignment before they would put new tires on the car and they said there was nothing wrong with the alignment
Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Tried and True

In my experience this is a tire issue. You have to be persistent and...well, a little mean. I have experienced the same thing and it was after a tire was replaced. Whether this is coincidence or not, it is proving to be that the RFT tires are difficult to balance and are subject to belt separation. Because of their rigid sidewalls if you hit a modest pothole you can adversely affect the tire. It may even be that a tire is out-of-round. Go back, tell them what you feel and insist on a force balance. I had a tire that was replaced and it required a force balance to get right. It's the tires 95% of the time.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 PM

All four tires are new or at least that is what I paid for. I will take your advice and I too think its at least one of the tires. Thank you
Old 04-05-2013, 02:31 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
If it is in the front in the steering wheel, it's the front tire. Try this. At 100 km/h or whatever speed the vibration is most pronounced drive with your left hand gripping the wheel most firmly and then try the right hand. Do they feel the same or is one decidedly more pronounced. If so, you have found the wheel that is out of balance.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann3864 View Post
When I took the car back for the second time, they did some type of test on the tires and told me the tires were within the BMW guidelines. I asked about the alignment too because they had me do an alignment before they would put new tires on the car and they said there was nothing wrong with the alignment
As explained in #8 above persistence doesn't always work. It's also a function of the experience and competence of the service department and the thoroughness of the "BMW Guidelines". Your tires were road force balanced at the BMW dealer, as they should be. However their guidelines for acceptable road force are higher than what is acceptable for most good tire dealers. Furthermore, BMW guidelines seem to ignore the belt problems unless they simultaneously cause other problems such as balance or run out. Yet many belt problems can be observed by just looking at the tire as it is spun on the balance machine.

After a few more attempts at the BMW dealer you will have to bite the bullet and pay for a good job at a more competent BMW dealer or better yet a good tire dealer that uses a Hunter Balancer and has the experience to identify belt problems. In my case the tire was identified by the tire dealer as defective due to belt centering at the time of manufacture. Still BMW would not accept that and would not exchange the tire. I had to send it back to the manufacturer through the tire dealer and was reimbursed by Continental only after they inspected it and agreed. In any event the only cure for the vibration was a new tire.

You could also move the front tires to the back and may find that the vibration that causes is more acceptable to you than when they are mounted in the front.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:51 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
And - basing on my fresh experience of long "recovery" from bending 2 rims I described in another thread - the rule #1 is:

Never ever listen to service people's BS about "all F10s vibrate like this" or "all F10s pull to the right".

When they do their job right, the F10 doesn't vibrate or pull, period. And this is in spite of the RFT being crap!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: car
Ann

If they road force the tires they will get numbers for each assembly. If there is any print out that can prove that they are all fine? If not, then demand that they redo the road force balance checks on the front 2 wheels and tell them nothing greater than 10lbs total road force. IF its around 12-15 lbs then the steering wheel with have a slight vibration feel to it at higher speed. I know this from my experience with sensitive cars like BMW with my 5 and 3 series. If its >12 lbs then have them replace a tire or remount that tire so that the assembly of the tire and rim are more round and get a smaller road force reading (lower downwards force onto the road in pounds (lbs).
Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 PM

They did that and told me that the tires were we
Within BMW requirements. I think they gave me 5. 25, 26 & 15. Is this okay?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
The numbers are within BMW specs which are pretty loose, but could produce the vibration that you feel. As Baloo indicates, the high numbers can be somewhat compensated for by repositioning the tires on the wheels. My experience is that my BMW dealer will not do that and a good tire dealer with Hunter Equipment will especially if you relate your problems to them before the balance.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 550iX GT
I have had that condition twice after hitting pot holes (very easy to do in the NYC area). It's either the tire (bubble) or wheel. I hope you have the insurance because both are expensive to replace. I've gone thru 1 tire (RF) and 4 bent or cracked wheels. I am convinced that the rigid RF tires cause high stress levels on the wheels.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Assuming those numbers are RF 5lbs, RR 25lbs, LF 26lbs, LR 15lbs. The LF is probably the one causing the vibration in the steering wheel. Have the dealer swap the left front with the left rear. Usually, anywhere under 28 pounds or so is fine in a normal car, but the 5 series is really sensitive to un-balance wheels. You can also go to a tire shop and have it professionally balance.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:21 AM

Everyone has given me lots of information to talk with my service advisor about. Thank you, I'll let you know what she says.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: car
Ann,

Sorry for the late response but those road force numbers are UNACCEPTABLE for the BMWs. Too high and will have a hop to the wheel causing those vibrations. I cannot believe BMW dealers are not being aware and educated on this. It should not be greater than 10-12 lbs total per wheel/tire combo. The BMWS will vibrate in the seats at higher speed from the 2 rear wheels and in steering from the front. My 2012 BMW 5 vibrated like a massage chair with those numbers and still with road force of 15-18. So I got them below 10 but my BMW 5 was defective and I lemoned it because of constant vibration from 70-75 mph no matter how well the wheels were balanced on the highway and it was felt in the seats and headrest. My 2008 BMW 3 coupe is perfect at all speeds and I make sure no road force greater than 10-12 lbs.

My Lexus had vibrations with road force greater than 10
My Audi vibrated with road force greater than 15
My Mercedes vibrated with road force greater than 12

Last edited by baloo588; 04-23-2013 at 06:08 PM.