Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 04-21-2013, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Mini Countryman S
Considering a 2010 Z4 35i; any issues?

Well, guys and gals, this is not only my first post on this forum, but any BMW forum. My fiancÚ and I have been looking for a Z4 for about a year now. We found a loaded, very clean, certified pre-owned 2010 35i at a local dealer with 25k miles. It is definitely in our price range. I'm wondering if there are any issues or anything I should know about the car before we buy.

Some background: I own a 2012 Mini Countryman S which I've thoroughly modded (FMIC, downpipe, exhaust, tune, KW v3 coils, etc.). I came from an SUV and wanted something sporty, better mileage (for my long commute to work), but still able to carry some cargo when needed. It fills the bill.

The fiancÚ has always wanted a hardtop convertible and we both love the Z4. Initially, we were thinking of the 28i since it would primarily be her daily (though we often carpool). Unfortunately, with the new house, my car, her ring, the wedding, and honeymoon, money is a little tighter. We have been keeping and eye on the used market to see if we could pickup a used 2012 28i at a bit of discount. No such luck. Yesterday we found the 2010 35i I described above. I must admit, it's pretty tempting. It has every feature we could ever want (DCT, nav, cold weather package, premium sound, leather, etc.)

Obviously, the big benefit to the 35i is the power and the fact that the N54 engine is very tunable. I must admit, that is a huge draw for me and my mind is already spinning with all the things I could do to it (exhaust, FMIC, tune).

But then I wonder: Is the 35i wasted on her? Not that she can't "handle" it (she's a good driver), but not an enthusiast and unlikely to really stretch its legs. On the other hand, she always prefers that I drive when we go somewhere together, so I would drive it on the weekends, etc. and when we carpool (which is often). Plus, she likes my Mini enough that I'm sure she'd let me trade her now and again. In fact, when I wondered out loud if she needs this much car, she said: "It's not my car. It's OUR car. You'll probably be driving it more than me!" (It's this attitude plus her love of all things sports that made me put a ring on it.)

Anyway, I really hadn't researched the 35i at all before yesterday, much less the 2010 version. As I struggle to decide whether the power justify the mileage penalty for her car, I would appreciate hearing if the 2010 35i has any issues we should know about. I know about the fuel pump, but assume this one has been fixed. If not, I will insist the dealer do so at no charge. (It is still under warranty until 2016 or 100k, whichever's first.)

Thanks for reading this far and for any feedback you can offer.
Ads by Google
Old 04-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Lexi
Yes, the 35i is wasted on your fiance. So what?

She'll love it, you'll love it, and the person you eventually sell it to will love the fact that your fiance (wife by then) was the driver. Oh, and if you forget to strip off all your mods prior to selling it, you stand to lose the "little old lady from Pasadena" effect. Fair warning.

Enjoy your "new" ride!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:32 PM

Appreciate the feedback and the tip. You're right that a sport-cat exhaust, FMIC, meth kit, tune, etc. would make it hard to convince the dealer it was used to ferry groceries.

Any concerns with a '10 versus a later model? It seems the N54 is far more mod-able than the N55. (That's a relief coming from the Mini world; there is virtually nothing available for the N18.) I've seen people worry about the prospect of having to rebuild/replace two single-scroll turbos instead of one twin-scroll turbo, but are people really having to rebuild/replace turbos before the car is retired? Seems unlikely to me.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Appreciate the feedback and the tip. You're right that a sport-cat exhaust, FMIC, meth kit, tune, etc. would make it hard to convince the dealer it was used to ferry groceries.
Some hard stuff coming at you here.

1. If you are not committed to eventual trade-in, dealer's opinion is least of your concerns. You want to avail yourself of the widest possible resale market. Nobody buys heavily modded cars, except other modders - a vanishingly small market.

2. It's her car OR it's your car; there's no in between! If yours, have a blast, mod away, and keep your life insurance paid up. If hers, keep your hands off the car. Mods are not neutral to her; they are DANGEROUS! She does not have the ability, nor in all likelihood the desire to attain it, to safely and competently drive a vehicle with such enhanced power and performance. You would be endangering your wife ALL THE TIME ("ferrying groceries") in order for you to indulge your desires OCCASIONALLY. That's an immature, irresponsible way to begin a life-long commitment where your oath is to protect your loved one. Grow up.

Other than that, everything sounds fine. Have fun being a PASSENGER in your fiance's new car.

Last edited by williakz; 04-21-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williakz View Post
Some hard stuff coming at you here.

1. If you are not committed to eventual trade-in, dealer's opinion is least of your concerns. You want to avail yourself of the widest possible resale market. Nobody buys heavily modded cars, except other modders - a vanishingly small market.

2. It's her car OR it's your car; there's no in between! If yours, have a blast, mod away, and keep your life insurance paid up. If hers, keep your hands off the car. Mods are not neutral to her; they are DANGEROUS! She does not have the ability, nor in all likelihood the desire to attain it, to safely and competently drive a vehicle with such enhanced power and performance. You would be endangering your wife ALL THE TIME ("ferrying groceries") in order for you to indulge your desires OCCASIONALLY. That's an immature, irresponsible way to begin a life-long commitment where your oath is to protect your loved one. Grow up.

Other than that, everything sounds fine. Have fun being a PASSENGER in your fiance's new car.
Not sure what you're trying to say with point #1. I generally tend to avoid selling in the private market, if that's what you're getting at. I tend to stick to trade-ins.

Regarding the second point, you sound a touch melodramatic about modding. (Not to mention a bit out of touch if you believe the modding market is "shrinking.") The car, bone stock, has a helluva lot of power already. If she can't handle a car with a few bolt-ons and a stage 1 tune, she probably can't handle the car as is. Knowing her, I'm sure she's capable. She's a very responsible, knowledgable driver. More importantly, she is quite unlikely to push the car to the point where it would be dangerous.

That said, your overarching point ("her car or your car") is fair. For the record, she's the one that suggested some upgrades. You seem to be operating under the impression that I'm pushing the idea on her, but it's not like that at all.

Not sure what triggered the change in your tone from your first (helpful) post to your last, but whatever it was, my apologies.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Regarding your concern about the turbos, any tune is going to put stress on the engine and bolt-on components. How long will you keep the car? Over the long haul, any car's turbos will need some work - with performance enhancers, even sooner.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, Alpine HID Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 04-21-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Not sure what you're trying to say with point #1. I generally tend to avoid selling in the private market, if that's what you're getting at. I tend to stick to trade-ins.
That's what I was saying. If you're selling to a dealer, that's one thing. Selling to private party is another. I'll explain below.

Quote:
Regarding the second point, you sound a touch melodramatic about modding. (Not to mention a bit out of touch if you believe the modding market is "shrinking.")
You're putting words in my mouth - STOP IT! I did not say "shrinking"; I said "vanishingly small". The difference can be understood by thinking about why that dealer of yours would apply a large reduction from Blue Book for your Z4 trade-in with mods intact. Why would he do so? First, he knows you may have abused the engine, screwed up the mod installation, and/or used inferior parts with no recourse if/when they fail. Second, even if you could convince the dealer that you are the modder's modder - the best of the best - the dealer cannot sell the car to other than other modders. And this market is simply too small to make economic sense to the dealer (no matter how fast you believe it's growing). That was my point. If you still don't understand, go have a heart-to-heart with a dealer, ANY dealer, of cars that are often modded. The dealer will set you straight in no time.

Quote:
The car, bone stock, has a helluva lot of power already. If she can't handle a car with a few bolt-ons and a stage 1 tune, she probably can't handle the car as is.
Have you read what you wrote? The car has 300HP stock and you're proposing to up that to around 350HP along with commensurate increases in torque, shifting, and throttle response. Yet you say if she can't handle 350+ HP, she can't handle 300HP! How do you get that. If I can't walk a tightrope over Niagara Falls, I can't walk down a city sidewalk? Huh?

Quote:
Knowing her, I'm sure she's capable. She's a very responsible, knowledgable driver. More importantly, she is quite unlikely to push the car to the point where it would be dangerous.
You DON'T know this as to the 35i (with or without mods). You assert it, but put forward no evidence that your fiance could handle such a powerful machine. You want to KNOW? Take her to some SCCA events and clinics and let her get some real road experience in fast, powerful cars. Yeah, it costs some bucks, but think of what you're buying with them. Knowledge, certainty, security.

Quote:
For the record, she's the one that suggested some upgrades. You seem to be operating under the impression that I'm pushing the idea on her, but it's not like that at all.
Please. From your previous post: "the N54 engine is very tunable. I must admit, that is a huge draw for me and my mind is already spinning with all the things I could do to it (exhaust, FMIC, tune)." You also stated that the 28i would have been in the garage already had it been available in your area at a reasonable price. OK with her, OK with you. Now, she's breathing fire about banging in a new exhaust and FMIC on a 35i? Does nobody read what they write or think about what they've said?

Quote:
Not sure what triggered the change in your tone from your first (helpful) post to your last, but whatever it was, my apologies.
It's for me to apologize, not you. I have young adult children and my protective reflex is a strong one, I'm afraid. Sorry.

I realize I'm out of line in delving into your personal business. The reason I do so is that I have (I'm sure) more than a few years on you. I also have over two decades of marriage under my belt. In those years, I have learned not to push my wife beyond her capabilities or her comfort zone for something that is really all about me ("it would primarily be her daily.") Your lady, like mine, is very sensitive to our wants and willing to tell us what we want to hear, even to our detriment. Such is love. The other thing is that over my years, I've seen too many good people push the envelope and do extreme damage (I'll leave it at that) to themselves and others.

To really clarify the issues, think of what your reaction would be if your dream 28i became available tomorrow. Remember how it was perfect for her, but less than you wanted? After the seduction of a modded 35i fantasy, how would that "perfect" 28i look now? Get it?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Regarding your concern about the turbos, any tune is going to put stress on the engine and bolt-on components. How long will you keep the car? Over the long haul, any car's turbos will need some work - with performance enhancers, even sooner.
It's a good point and a good question. I can see us keeping the car for awhile. It wouldn't shock me to see us approaching 100k before we consider getting something new. We are not the flipping sort. (Though, as I say that, she is giving up a 2010 car to get the Z4.)

The great likelihood is that I would be reluctant to get an ECU tune until the warranty has expired. The must-do mods are mostly aesthetic, suspension (we like our cars low-er), and exhaust. The heavy stuff (ECU tune, FMIC) would probably be shelved for awhile. At some point, we both agree there is a heavy likelihood the Z4 would become my car and the Mini hers, especially in a few years when we start a family.

The other factor is that I do a lot of the work on my own cars. I am meticulous about oil changes (no more than 5,000) and do all the routine maintenance myself. (Other than the free maintenance provided by the dealer.) I enjoy getting greasy, so it's a labor of love.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:09 PM

I get paid to argue, so I'm pretty reluctant to get into arguments on the internet on my off time. I'd much rather get along and learn from others and pass whatever knowledge I might have to offer. Tone is always tough to judge online, but there definitely seems to be a condescending bent to your comments. Maybe you don't intend it, but it definitely comes across that way and I'm hoping we can keep this thread from devolving into a back-and-forth between us.

Quote:

You're putting words in my mouth - STOP IT! I did not say "shrinking"; I said "vanishingly small". The difference can be understood by thinking about why that dealer of yours would apply a large reduction from Blue Book for your Z4 trade-in with mods intact. Why would he do so? First, he knows you may have abused the engine, screwed up the mod installation, and/or used inferior parts with no recourse if/when they fail. Second, even if you could convince the dealer that you are the modder's modder - the best of the best - the dealer cannot sell the car to other than other modders. And this market is simply too small to make economic sense to the dealer (no matter how fast you believe it's growing). That was my point. If you still don't understand, go have a heart-to-heart with a dealer, ANY dealer, of cars that are often modded. The dealer will set you straight in no time.
I did not put words in your mouth. "Vanishing" -- the word you used -- means to "disappear," "die out," "fizzle out," "fade away," and other concepts commensurate with the verb "to shrink." (See: http://thesaurus.com/browse/vanish) If "shrink" is not what you meant, you should have chosen your words more carefully, especially if you intend to later accuse me of not "read[ing] what [I] wrote."

Quote:
Have you read what you wrote? The car has 300HP stock and you're proposing to up that to around 350HP along with commensurate increases in torque, shifting, and throttle response. Yet you say if she can't handle 350+ HP, she can't handle 300HP! How do you get that. If I can't walk a tightrope over Niagara Falls, I can't walk down a city sidewalk? Huh?
My point was that your point would only have merit if she was struggling to handle the car as is, which is doubtful. Would the extra power be an adjustment? It most certainly would, but nothing she could not manage. And, as I mentioned before, she is not going to be "hot rodding" or pushing the car, largely nullifying the benefits of the mods. (As for throttle sensitivity, it's my personal experience that without tuning, the drive-by-wire throttle is actually more dangerous that modifications designed to reduce throttle and turbo lag, just the same way that a sharper knife is a safer one.)

In any event, this is all academic because you have made the very unfounded assumption that if I bought the car Monday, it would be tuned Tuesday. I simply indicated that the 35i has the potential for tuning that the 28i does not. I'm not ashamed to mention that that potential appeals to me, especially if we are going to be keeping this car for the long haul. I like the idea that if we buy the car and it someday becomes mine, I won't be stuck with a platform that has a shallow ceiling.

Quote:
You DON'T know this as to the 35i (with or without mods). You assert it, but put forward no evidence that your fiance could handle such a powerful machine. You want to KNOW? Take her to some SCCA events and clinics and let her get some real road experience in fast, powerful cars. Yeah, it costs some bucks, but think of what you're buying with them. Knowledge, certainty, security.
I'm not sure I need to provide you with "evidence," but to sate your curiosity she has daily experience driving a straight-6, RWD 'vert. (Not BMW.) I'm sure the Z4 has more power, but it's not a leaps-and-bounds difference. As I said, I'm not sure I need to prove this to you and find it bizarre you, a complete stranger, would suggest that I do.

That said, the courses are a great idea -- for both of us. We could both stand to learn the ins and outs from a professional instructor. If we buy the 35i, we will definitely do so.

Quote:
Please. From your previous post: "the N54 engine is very tunable. I must admit, that is a huge draw for me and my mind is already spinning with all the things I could do to it (exhaust, FMIC, tune)." You also stated that the 28i would have been in the garage already had it been available in your area at a reasonable price. OK with her, OK with you. Now, she's breathing fire about banging in a new exhaust and FMIC on a 35i? Does nobody read what they write or think about what they've said?
Again, another insulting assumption. As I said above, the 35i brings the possibility of a highly tunable platform. That has me excited about the possibilities in the future in a way that the 28i did not. It surprises me that it would surprise you to hear that my fiance, keenly aware that I am an enthusiast, pointed out that the 35i would be a better car for me someday than the 28i. You're right that my mind was spinning with things that could be done to the car; evidently she knew what I was thinking. The question for us is, do we invest in a car that will always just be a moderately powered but fuel efficient 'vert for her, or do we get one that has potential to serve as a platform for a high-performance car for me down the line.

Quote:
It's for me to apologize, not you. I have young adult children and my protective reflex is a strong one, I'm afraid. Sorry.

I realize I'm out of line in delving into your personal business. The reason I do so is that I have (I'm sure) more than a few years on you. I also have over two decades of marriage under my belt. In those years, I have learned not to push my wife beyond her capabilities or her comfort zone for something that is really all about me ("it would primarily be her daily.") Your lady, like mine, is very sensitive to our wants and willing to tell us what we want to hear, even to our detriment. Such is love. The other thing is that over my years, I've seen too many good people push the envelope and do extreme damage (I'll leave it at that) to themselves and others.
I don't necessarily disagree with this portion of your post. All I can tell you is you have grossly underestimated my fiance's capabilities and overestimated my zeal to tune. While the car is under warranty, I'm unlikely to do anything drastic. If we switch cars, I will almost certainly make some fairly sweeping changes.

Quote:
To really clarify the issues, think of what your reaction would be if your dream 28i became available tomorrow. Remember how it was perfect for her, but less than you wanted? After the seduction of a modded 35i fantasy, how would that "perfect" 28i look now? Get it?
A good question. Honestly, I'm torn. Long ago, long before we became engaged, I had my eye on the Z4. I almost went that way when I got the Mini, but the house was a bigger priority. And, of course, I could not justify a two-seat convertible as my only car. So I have had my eye on a 35i/35is for awhile.

When we first started looking for a Z4 for her, the 28i was a logical choice. She was working a job with a long commute. She has since switched jobs. She works from home much more and when she does go to the office, we frequently carpool because her office is near mine. So suddenly at 35i does not seem as crazy an idea as it once might have. Plus, we are finding that the 28i is rare as hen's teeth. It seems to be a bit more of a buyer's market for the 35i. (We have not considered the 30i; in her words, it's "no man's land.") Still, if our "dream" 28i showed up tomorrow, I think it would be hard to pass up.

But answering that question is really the point of this thread. In part, if the consensus is that BMW made a lot of key changes after 2010, it would make the decision a lot easier. For example, on the Mini side, BMW/MINI changed the engines in 2010 from an N14 which had a lot of issues (timing chain, carbon buildup) to the N18, which got a bump in power and is a lot better from a maintenance standpoint. On the other hand, the N14 is a lot easier to tune and mod. For example, the N18 cannot currently be tuned via OBDII.

Part of the decisionmaking process is to find out if there is a similar dichotomy between the N54 and N55/N20.

Last edited by Hujan; 04-21-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:38 PM

Your final paragraph shows some excellent analytical thinking. That is where I was trying to get you all the time. The more you know about yourself and those around you, the more often you will make the correct decision for all concerned. You're well on your way. I'm sorry to seem condescending, but if you're working the problem more effectively because of it, I'll happily take the heat. Oh, and "vanishingLY" is very much different than "vanishing." See here. But then you argue for a living; surely you know the precise definition of words and the meaning of common English phrases, no? I wish you luck in your decision.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 & BMW 335
In my humble opinion, "go for it" and do not look back. No significant issues with 2010 Z4 that I am aware of other than the fuel pump which you already have knowledge of. As far as the turbo 35i - the car can get amazing mpg for a commuter. I have a 335i as well as a Z4 3.0. the 335i gets better overall mpg - 28 city and 34 highway unless of course we have some fun with the turbo's. The 3.0 Z4 gets 27mpg city and 33mpg highway. Love them both and so does my wife of 35 years!
I am sure you know that if you get the 35i let it warm up before kicking it down and allow time to cool down before you shut it off. Happy Motoring
Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsbillz4 View Post
In my humble opinion, "go for it" and do not look back. No significant issues with 2010 Z4 that I am aware of other than the fuel pump which you already have knowledge of. As far as the turbo 35i - the car can get amazing mpg for a commuter. I have a 335i as well as a Z4 3.0. the 335i gets better overall mpg - 28 city and 34 highway unless of course we have some fun with the turbo's. The 3.0 Z4 gets 27mpg city and 33mpg highway. Love them both and so does my wife of 35 years!
Thanks for the post, carsbillz. I appreciate the enthusiasm!

That's some impressive mileage for both your cars. I know that BMW struck gold with that 3.0 motor in the Z4. I remember seeing some impressive MPG figures with that thing. Amazing you're able to get 34 highway on the 335i. Is that the N54 in your 335i?

Quote:
I am sure you know that if you get the 35i let it warm up before kicking it down and allow time to cool down before you shut it off.
Sure do. Good practice for all performance cars, esp. FI cars.

Quote:
Happy Motoring
Thanks! You too!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:35 PM

Actually, that advice to cooling down this car works better in theory than practice. I have never, ever seen the oil temp gauge drop even while letting the engine idle for 10 minutes. I think the reason is that the turbos are always spinning in this car. That's how BMW beat turbo lag, but it also prevents any real cool-down. Now maybe you're talking about running this car on a track. I can't speak to that. Just talking about everyday driving, even high rpm driving around town.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, Alpine HID Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 04-23-2013, 05:46 PM

cool down

Anytime, no matter what type of vehicle it is, it is good practice to run the car at lower speeds after a hard run before shutting down. My 335i is a N54 and cruising at 75-80 mph with air on equates to 34 mpg on our trips to Colorado.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Anytime, no matter what type of vehicle it is, it is good practice to run the car at lower speeds after a hard run before shutting down.
Where do you come up with a blanket assertion like this with absolutely no evidence presented to support it? I have not read a single owner's manual in the last 20, maybe 30, years that recommends a cool-down period after operation. i HAVE seen many manufacturers caution owners to allow time for engines to reach normal operating temperature before vehicle operation in extremely cold conditions. Perhaps you have conflated the latter specific caution with general advice on proper vehicle operation?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 PM

If you have to look in the owners manual to find advice on how to treat you car beyond common sense, then I guess you can say I made this up. I have over 20 years in auto mechanics and raced with some of the best. cool down is necessary just like warm up is necessary. To each his own - wishing you many happy miles of driving
Old 04-23-2013, 08:24 PM

As I said, my thoughts do not apply to tracked cars. I can tell you without a doubt that my oil temp gauge never drops if I try to cool down even after spirited non-track driving. If anyone out there has been successful cooling the oil down, please tell me how.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Where do you come up with a blanket assertion like this with absolutely no evidence presented to support it? I have not read a single owner's manual in the last 20, maybe 30, years that recommends a cool-down period after operation. i HAVE seen many manufacturers caution owners to allow time for engines to reach normal operating temperature before vehicle operation in extremely cold conditions. Perhaps you have conflated the latter specific caution with general advice on proper vehicle operation?
In all fairness, it';s not surprising that these kind of things don't appear in owner's manuals. The average person would not buy a car if they had to sit there and cool the turbos down after each time they drove it. Turbocharged cars used to be for driving enthusiasts who might want to do this, but today soccer moms are driving FI cars and the manufacturers aren't going to make driving their cars a hardship.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:39 PM

Good point on manufacturers' hesitancy. That said, they don't seem to mind putting in 25 pages of lawyer-driven drivel before they tell you how to unlock the doors! They also don't seem to mind plastering silly yellow stickers all over the cockpit with additional useless advice and warnings of "serious injury or death." Somehow Mitzy and Debbie seem to get past those. I still think, as you pointed out and the other poster neglected to, that there exists a world of difference between production and racing vehicles. It is truly a difference of kind, no longer one of degree. Also, auto lore tends to stick around for ages. The turbos of the 1980s (my 30 years ago) were vastly different in design, materials, and operating parameters than what we find in our road rockets today.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:14 AM

Well gents, there is one less pre-owned 2010 35i available for sale in SoCal. We brought her home last night. The lady loves it. Thanks for your posts and thoughts. Lots of cosmetic/exterior mods on the must-do list (wheels, xenon-match angel eyes, stubby, M Sport bumpers, etc.). More questions to come, I'm sure.