Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:05 PM
John Voight's BMW

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP 6MT
using old wax?

Hey guys, I searched around and couldn't find much detail on this. I've got several bottles of wax that are about 4-5 years old, the bottles have been opened and about half of the wax used. I've also got a bottle of wax that is about 5 years old, but still sealed (never been opened). They're all versions of Mequire's wax, all liquid, one classic Gold and some other NXT stuff.

Okay to use or do I need to ditch them?

Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 04-18-2013, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 09
I would get rid of them
Old 04-18-2013, 03:04 PM
C code: 405/3

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe
But then again, if the components haven't separated out and nothing smells rancid, I'd be tempted to give them a try.
A wise man might offer to do the mother-in-law's car first though.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:59 PM
John Voight's BMW

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnz3mc View Post
But then again, if the components haven't separated out and nothing smells rancid, I'd be tempted to give them a try.
Ha, good point. I think I'll save the wax for my garbage cans.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Jaguar XKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium330 View Post
Hey guys, I searched around and couldn't find much detail on this..
For future reference-

Storage (Product)

All car acre products are negatively impacted by wide temperature fluctuations and extremes of high or low temperatures, especially with the now VOC compliant chemicals. As far as wax storage is concerned standard room temperature will suffice; a refrigerator provides a stable temperature / humidity, which equates to a longer shelf life to the products.

Water-based

Car care products should not be stored at temperatures below > 35.OF (wax 45.OF) if they freeze they may become unstable and therefore unusable, ideal storage temperature range- 50- 7.OF with an average humidity range. Most car care products have a ‘useful life’ of approximately 2-3 years provided they are stored as above.

Keep containers tightly closed and ensure they are not compromised (fractured or leaking seals) store in a dry, cool and well-ventilated place. Keep away from direct sunlight. Do not allow to freeze. Do not store at temperature extremes (below 40 – over 80.OF +) as heat will destabilise emulsified products (wax, polymer sealants, polishes, etc)

Avoid extreme temperature swings as the chemicals will become unstable, which will create problems with the performance of the product. Some separate out; others lose their effectiveness if they are heated past a certain point. Most car care products will separate and may become unusable after being subjected to freezing temperatures. Products should never be used whilst separated; unmixed chemicals may result in a very concentrated mixture, which could inflict damage

All chemicals should be stored in a closed cabinet or at the very least out of direct sunlight exposure for extended periods of time. Sun can cause colour and scent changes, as well as affect their performance; especially with products like Glass Cleaner, Waterless Wash, and APC. Exposing chemicals to sunlight during use shouldn’t be of concern, but try to return the bottles to a shady or covered area if they won't be used for more than a few minutes.

The chemical composition of waxes rarely ever change regardless of what form it is in, whether it is melted to a semi-liquid or remains as a semi-solid. Temperature has little to no effect as far as inhibiting the shelf life of wax, a cool temperatures and constant humidity will slow the evaporation of solvents from the wax, thus keeping the wax softer and easier to use over a longer period of time.

Sunlight - all chemicals should be stored in a closed cabinet or at the very least out of direct sunlight exposure for extended periods of time. Sun can cause colour and scent changes, as well as affect their performance; especially with products like Glass Cleaner, Waterless Wash, and APC. Exposing chemicals to sunlight during use shouldn’t be of concern, but try to return the bottles to a shady or covered area if they won't be used for more than a few minutes.

Shelf-Life

Providing their contains have a tight seal, are not compromised by fractures or (air) leaks, and use at least a single stage fluorination of the plastic, so that it is resistant to petrochemical solvents; without this the sides will ‘collapse’, which is actually the solvents in the product escaping through the micro pores of the plastic.

All liquid products should be shaken well before use and stored in light resistant containers

a) Polymers have a shelf life of approx 3-5 years if kept in their original containers and stored at temperatures as above

b) Nanotechnology coatings - should be stored in tightly sealed containers and protected from heat and moisture. Recommended storage temperatures are 30. ° - 122. °.F Shelf life is approximately 12 months, provided the material is stored in sealed in its original containers, between 65. ° - 75. °.F.

c) Polish - technically 2 years, providing the bottle is kept closed, and the product has not separated or the solvents haven’t evaporated by leaching ( the bottle will become semi- collapsed) there should be no problem with use for three years after sale date

d) Waxes - will last almost indefinitely, provided that they are stored a sealed in their original containers and in the refrigerator or controlled environment once opened. The liquids should last 18 months if stored at normal room temperature.

e) Detailing Chemicals (Wheel cleaners, All purpose cleaners (APC) and etc) have an almost indefinite shelf life if kept in their original containers and stored at temperatures as above, see also Product separation

f) Product separation - if product emulsion separates it could be indicative of age (but not necessarily past its useful life) shake vigorously for 5-10 minutes and see if the product re- mixes.

Product shelf -life may vary from one manufacturer to another, if in doubt check with product mfg or vendor.

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html

These Detailing Wiki informational resources contain everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive detailing and are an invaluable addition to your detailing knowledge base.

Last edited by TOGWT; 04-19-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnz3mc View Post
Shake the living daylights out of them and then check to see if the consistency look good and it's not smelling bad. I have five year old product here that is just fine...Stored and sealed correctly it should be fine...especially the new one

Its Going To Cost How Much???????
Old 04-23-2013, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 05 330i convertible
I've used waxes that were older than 5 yrs and they were just fine. I can't figure out what is in them that would go bad. We are not talking about complex proteins here.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
I've used waxes that were older than 5 yrs and they were just fine. I can't figure out what is in them that would go bad. We are not talking about complex proteins here.
The solvents can dissipate and the oils become rancid, which can cause separation. That effects the performance and bonding capabilities on the paint. Doesn't mean it isn't work but just not at 100%

Its Going To Cost How Much???????