Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93 M3
Luggage Space for E93

Hi All - I'm plotting my ED trip for this July and wondering how much space I'll have for luggage and what combination of suit cases I'll be able to fit. Does anyone have the dimensions of the space in the backseat with the seat folded down? I'd like to avoid purchasing the $1k BMW luggage set and finding a way to make my luggage work for a 2 week trip for 2 people. Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 04-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
How much luggage space do you need? With the top up, the trunk space isn't much different than the coupe counterpart (which is to say fairly large). With the top down, you pretty much lose the top half of the space.

My recommendation is to take the actual luggage to the dealership and try to fit them in the trunk of an e93 (doesn't need to be M3 since the trunk space should be similar if not identical).

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
How much luggage space do you need? With the top up, the trunk space isn't much different than the coupe counterpart (which is to say fairly large). With the top down, you pretty much lose the top half of the space.

My recommendation is to take the actual luggage to the dealership and try to fit them in the trunk of an e93 (doesn't need to be M3 since the trunk space should be similar if not identical).
I'm planning on doing some cruising with the top down and was wondering if I could fit two full size suitcases in the back seat. My ED dealer is a couple hours away and I'm not sure how excited the local dealer will be about assisting me.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjoet View Post
I'm planning on doing some cruising with the top down and was wondering if I could fit two full size suitcases in the back seat. My ED dealer is a couple hours away and I'm not sure how excited the local dealer will be about assisting me.
I don't think anyone can tell you for sure without knowing how big your "full size" suitcases are, but I think they should fit in the backseats. Make sure they are heavy enough so that they don't fly off the car.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 04-23-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone can tell you for sure without knowing how big your "full size" suitcases are, but I think they should fit in the backseats.
Yup, that's why I was hoping to get the dimensions of the backseat fold down from an existing E93 owner

Quote:
Make sure they are heavy enough so that they don't fly off the car.
Good call on the risk of flying away. I noticed the BMW luggage comes with some sort of tie down. Has anyone rigged up something to work with other luggage?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Mace

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjoet View Post
Good call on the risk of flying away. I noticed the BMW luggage comes with some sort of tie down. Has anyone rigged up something to work with other luggage?
No suitcase is going to fly out of the back seat. There is very little draft, the straps are simply to keep things from shifting. I didn't have any straps and had no trouble at all up to 130mph with the top down and they shifted very little in turns and quick stops. When you say "full size" if you mean the old-style samsonite suitcases they probably won't fit but roll a boards that'll fit in an airliner overhead will. These are what i would call "normal" sized bags. I had three of these, two in the back seat and one crosswise at the front of the trunk under the divider. Two additional soft bags also fit in the trunk. One on top of the roll a board and one behind it. Plenty of luggage for two for two weeks if you stay at a couple of places you can do laundry two or thee times. You might want to look around at some of the newer luggage. Ours were hard cases with soft bags that zipped to the back. The soft parts were easy to store in the odd-shaped trunk. I agree with the suggestion that you take some luggage to your local dealer. I really doubt they'd have a problem.

YESTERDAY: '08 335i Coupe, Space Gray, Coral Red, Gray Poplar, 6-MT, ED 10 May '08.
TODAY: '11 M3 Convertible, Mineral White, Fox Red, Extended Leather, Carbon Leather, 6-MT, 19" Style 220M Wheels, EDC, EPS, ZP2, ZCV, ZCW. ED 29 Apr '11. PCD Re-delivery July 27.

Last edited by Mace14; 04-24-2013 at 05:59 PM.