Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-13-2013, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: None right now
P0174

Before I begin, just wanted to say I did read most of the threads for the P0174 error code.

I have a 2005 X3 3.0 with 91k miles. It gave me the SES while driving through Sonoma. An Indy shop did a smoke test and the intake valve was torn. Got it replaced. But I still have the SES light on with the same code P0174.
I did clean the MAF sensor as recommended here. I have not looked into DISA or CCV. I do not hear any rattling sound as mentioned for the DISA. I am running out of options. Do I need to reset with a code reader before replacing anymore parts?
Ads by Google
Old 04-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Intake boot was replaced by the indy shop you mean?

Didn't they turn the code off? And confirm that they had all clamps done up right.

Might need quite a few miles driving before it resets itself.

If you don't know the history of the car, I'd suspect the CCV before DISA, ICV, MAF or anything else.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:57 PM

I apologize for not being clear. The boot was replaced by a friend. He was not able to erase the code and from the posts I read so far suggested if I drive a few miles, the SES light would go away on its own. so I didn't make a big deal out of it when I was with my friend. I don't drive much but just for the sake of it, I drove to SF and back ~70 miles yesterday
FYI: I bought the car at 84k miles last year and got the inspection II done right away at the indy shop

I got to do a SMOG check to renew registration and it failed due to SES. Even though the car drives great, I need to get this fixed. I ordered a Code reader from Amazon. Will update when I receive it.

Last edited by Trojac_SC; 04-13-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 5-series
Let me know what you find..I have a x3 with about the same mileage and I have a P0171 and P0174 code
Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 AM

Ok. Erased the code and don't have the SES now. Will see if it pops up again. Out of town now but will go for a SMOG test and see if it passes.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk5 View Post
Let me know what you find..I have a x3 with about the same mileage and I have a P0171 and P0174 code
I had the same codes when I started. Did a smoke test at an Indy shop and found out the intake boot was torn. The Indy wanted $120 for the boot itself, which can be bought for ~$38 at the BMW dealer. So I asked my friend to changed the boot.

My car was making some loud idling noise which the Indy shop recommended changing the mechanical pulleys. Changed those (apparently there are 3 but we could not find the 3rd one) and now my X3 sounds like a regular X3 while idling.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: e46 325i 5spd
I also have had the P0174 for a few days now, and I feel like I have looked into every possible options, I have;

- Cleaned MAF
- Checked boots and seals on CAI
- Tested the O2 Sensors
- Pulled off DISA and looked perfectly fine
- Touched Battery terminals (was told from BMW Tech that it could clear the code, but it didn't)

I do not know what else I can do to clear this code. Should I just clear the code and see if it comes back? Is there anyway to clear the code without the scan tool???
Old 04-21-2013, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojac_SC View Post

My car was making some loud idling noise which the Indy shop recommended changing the mechanical pulleys. Changed those (apparently there are 3 but we could not find the 3rd one) and now my X3 sounds like a regular X3 while idling.
2004 - 2006 has serpentine belt with tensioner and idler plus A/C belt with tensioner, so total of 3 pulleys.

(Mechanical tensioners use Dayco 89133 pulley, made in Germany by INA or similar.
Idler/deflection pulley is BMW part only, I believe, no. 11287516847.
Hydraulic tensioners may use a different pulley - not sure.)

2007 - has just the one belt (water pump is electric) so 2 pulleys sounds right.
One for the tensioner, and one for an idler/deflection.

After 60K miles or so, the grease in the pulleys seems to evaporate, so a dry scraping noise or light rattle results.
Best to re-grease them or replace before they break up or seize and create unpleasant consequences.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:48 AM

Mein Auto: 08 X3, 08 Harley FLSTC
You can take the car to Autozone and they will read the code and erase it - no charge. I bought a code reader from Autozone many years ago and it has repayed the $80 just in gas that it would take to drive the 1.5 miles to Autozone. All of my last 6 vehicles have showed codes. Currently, my GMC says that the fuel vent system needs attention. The X3 says that the cruise control is reading high - it only does this when we are on a long trip using the cruise. Both vehicles run great with consistent fuel mileage. Electronics are great but can be a nuisance at times. On an earlier vehicle, I was popping up trouble codes but neither the dealer or a mechanic could resolve it. Later, the car showed three trouble codes and I then replaced the mass air flow sensor. I don't like the "check engine" light but am used to it. I still check the codes periodically.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:49 AM

P0174

Autozone will not erase the codes, I tried that. Something about legality with clearing codes. But I just can't think of many other options.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-23-2013, 03:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlLee View Post
I also have had the P0174 for a few days now, and I feel like I have looked into every possible options, I have;

- Cleaned MAF
- Tested the O2 Sensors
- Touched Battery terminals (was told from BMW Tech that it could clear the code, but it didn't)

I do not know what else I can do to clear this code. Should I just clear the code and see if it comes back? Is there anyway to clear the code without the scan tool???
How did you test the O2 sensors???
Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 AM

P0174

With a multimeter of course. Is there some other way?

Old 04-23-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlLee View Post

- Cleaned MAF
- Tested the O2 Sensors

How did you check the boots? Visually you may not notice anything wrong. Get a smoke test done.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
2004 - 2006 has serpentine belt with tensioner and idler plus A/C belt with tensioner, so total of 3 pulleys.

(Mechanical tensioners use Dayco 89133 pulley, made in Germany by INA or similar.
Idler/deflection pulley is BMW part only, I believe, no. 11287516847.
Hydraulic tensioners may use a different pulley - not sure.)

2007 - has just the one belt (water pump is electric) so 2 pulleys sounds right.
One for the tensioner, and one for an idler/deflection.

After 60K miles or so, the grease in the pulleys seems to evaporate, so a dry scraping noise or light rattle results.
Best to re-grease them or replace before they break up or seize and create unpleasant consequences.
Could not find 3 pulleys while working on the car even though I bought all 3. Will try to lookup again for the 3rd one.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:11 AM

I have a new issue with the SMOG test. Even after the code is gone, I was unable to pass smog. Apparently the sensors are not ready. There are 5 sensors in X3 and 4 of the 5 needs to be ready before it passes SMOG. Regular cars needs 3/5 to pass.
Apparently there's a step by step guide on how to get the sensors started. All you need is to start the car, drive it under 3k rpm and do not cross/reach 60 MPH. I will try that next weekend and see if it helps. Here's the pdf
http://www.europeantransmissions.com...0Procedure.pdf
Old 04-23-2013, 09:24 AM

P0174

Ill by a replacement boot since everyone swears to replace it anyways. But I have a hard time believing there is anything wrong with it. I have covered most air/seals issues known with this code. I guess next thing is fuel issues. But will the code clear itself if repairs or do you have to wipe the code manually ?

Old 04-24-2013, 10:09 AM

The code did not clear on its own. I bought a scan tool from amazon .. http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...can+tool+autel ... and erased the code myself ...

You can try erasing the code before you replace the boot and see if the SES comes back on ...
Old 04-24-2013, 01:40 PM

P0174

So when I erase it, it will appear back if not fixed properly correct?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:30 PM

Correct
Old 05-05-2013, 04:25 AM

Mein Auto: 08 X3, 08 Harley FLSTC
One other note. We recently took a trip, about 2500 miles and I changed from 87 to 89 octane gas. This time, the mileage went up 3 mpg consistently for 3 tankfuls and the P0171 and P0174 codes showed up. Got home and went back to normal mixed driving, erased the codes and they stayed gone so far. I have tinkered with various octanes in several vehicles and my motorcycle. This is the first time I noticed any significant change other than cost.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:27 AM
Double D

Mein Auto: 2001 530i Sport
Those codes show up when you have a Vacuum leak and have no bearing on Octane, IMO. The Intake Boot is the first place to look, then the rest of the vacuum hoses followed by the big vacuum cap at the rear of the Intake. If All those are in good shape, the CCV quite possibly? Update your findings. Good Luck!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer AP
Old 05-06-2013, 08:34 AM

P0174

It came back a week later with the 2883 code only, so ill have to check the boot and go from there. The code went away for about a week, then when I was on the highway it came back on yesterday.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Double D

Mein Auto: 2001 530i Sport
From what I have read, the code 2883 you mention is a BMW Proprietary Code...and mirrors the "P" codes, such as P0171/P0174. So if that is the case, then you still have a vacuum leak! I'm going to say the CCV is looking pretty suspicious if you have eliminated ALL other areas that have been mentioned...unless you have ruled that out? Good Luck!

Last edited by WaveSurfin3100; 05-07-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:29 PM

Im going to order the boot, it seems too cheap to not replace that part anyways, and clear the code and go from there
Old 06-09-2013, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
boot and the CCV will fail around the same time, then the VCG and OFHG will be soon to come. CCV causes ALL KINDS of issues and codes that manifest themselves in different ways since there is several different modes it can fail in.