Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 04-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 14' F31 328xi (ED)
Suggestions for mid-September ED

My wife and i are doing preliminary planning for our first ED in mid-September. This is what we have come up with so far. We are trying to avoid larger cities (there's no avoiding Munich) and since we will have a car, we want to travel to places that are easier to get to by a car. The current planned route will go through Switzerland but we won't be stopping in any Swiss cities. We are trying to spend at least two nights in one location. There will be a couple of places where we will be spending just one night.

I would love to hear your suggestions on this. Thanks!

Day 1 - 3:
- Sightseeing in Munich
- BMW factory visit?
- Pick car up at BMW Welt

Day 3 - 5:
- Schloss Linderhof (99km from Munich)
- Schloss Neuschwanstein (46km from Schloss Linderhof)
- Spend two nights in the Baden-Wurttemberg region

Day 5 - 6:
- Head toward Strasbourg and travel along Route des Vins d'Alsace (Wine route of Alsace)
- Spend the night in Colmar

Day 6 - 8:
- Lake Como (about 350 km from Colmar)
- Spend two nights there

Day 8:
- Top Gear roads: San Bernardino Pass and Stelvio Pass
- Spend night in Innsbruck. I have been to Innsbruck many times so this is just to have a good night of sleep before heading to Berchtesgaden.

Day 9 - 11:
- Berchtesgaden
- Salzburg

Day 11 - 13:
- Drive back to Munich
- Drop car off
- BMW factory visit?
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2013, 05:22 PM
SECDEF

Mein Auto: 2009 328xi Montego Blue
I did Munich (obviously), Salzburg/Berchtesgaden, Stevlio Pass and Lake Como as well. I would suggest, since you said you have been to Innsbruck before, to instead spend the night in nearby Mittenwald, Germany. Its a very nice quaint Alpine town. In Mittenwald, you can take the Karwendelbahn to the top of the mountain to have an amazing view.

Stelvio Pass was a blast. I too planed that part of my trip because of Top Gear!

When in Berchtesgaden make sure you do the 1:15PM English tour of the Eagles Nest, it is well worth it. http://www.eagles-nest-tours.com/EN/...ex.php?navid=2

In Salzburg, if you have time check out the Red Bull Hangar 7 at the Salzburg airport. It is free admission with cool aircraft and race car displays as well as the top restaurant in Salzburg and a night club inside the hangar.

Make sure you stay in hotels with secured parking. In Como, I stayed at the Albergo Lenno in Lenno which had a secure parking garage. There was no need to use the car the entire time in Como, as the ferries take you everywhere.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 6GC
Ktula I like your plan. Interesting, car friendly selection of places to visit at a reasonable pace. Here are a few fine tuning suggestions.
1) On your way from Munich to the Linderhof Palace drive south out of Munich until you intercept the Alpenstrasse somewhere around Lake Sylvenstein. Then head west on the Alpenstrasse to the Palace.
2) On your way south from Strasbourg to Colmar stop in Riquewihr. It is a pretty little town and will only take an hour or so to wander up the main street to the west gate. Then head back down the same street or one of the parallel side streets.
3) Take the ferry around Lake Como. Get off and explore Bellagio and any other of the lakeside towns that appeal to you.
4) When headed from Innsbruck or Mittenwald to Berchtesgaden drive another section of the Alpenstrasse. The combined sections of the Alpenstrasse between Fussen and Berchtesgaden are the prettiest parts of the Alpenstrasse. Your navigation system or GPS will try to get you off the Alpenstrasse and onto the autobahn, but don't let it win. Also, even the best navigators will miss the occasional turn, but it's worth finding your way back onto it.
5) Finally, I think September is a great time to visit Europe - fewer crowds and often better weather.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawarrant View Post
Make sure you stay in hotels with secured parking. In Como, I stayed at the Albergo Lenno in Lenno which had a secure parking garage. There was no need to use the car the entire time in Como, as the ferries take you everywhere.
Thanks for the suggestions! Is secured parking suggested just for the Como portion, or is this something we will have to do everywhere we go on the trip?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post
Ktula I like your plan. Interesting, car friendly selection of places to visit at a reasonable pace. Here are a few fine tuning suggestions.
1) On your way from Munich to the Linderhof Palace drive south out of Munich until you intercept the Alpenstrasse somewhere around Lake Sylvenstein. Then head west on the Alpenstrasse to the Palace.
2) On your way south from Strasbourg to Colmar stop in Riquewihr. It is a pretty little town and will only take an hour or so to wander up the main street to the west gate. Then head back down the same street or one of the parallel side streets.
3) Take the ferry around Lake Como. Get off and explore Bellagio and any other of the lakeside towns that appeal to you.
4) When headed from Innsbruck or Mittenwald to Berchtesgaden drive another section of the Alpenstrasse. The combined sections of the Alpenstrasse between Fussen and Berchtesgaden are the prettiest parts of the Alpenstrasse. Your navigation system or GPS will try to get you off the Alpenstrasse and onto the autobahn, but don't let it win. Also, even the best navigators will miss the occasional turn, but it's worth finding your way back onto it.
5) Finally, I think September is a great time to visit Europe - fewer crowds and often better weather.
Thank you so much for your suggestions. They are exactly what i need!
Old 04-25-2013, 01:39 AM
SECDEF

Mein Auto: 2009 328xi Montego Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktula View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! Is secured parking suggested just for the Como portion, or is this something we will have to do everywhere we go on the trip?
I chose to stay at only hotels that had secured parking just for piece of mind. Parking is scarce and the last thing I wanted to do on vacation was worry about my new car being safe. Every place I visited was pedestrian friendly or had great public transportation that I didn't need my car once I got to each destination.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
I think it sounds excellent... but all I'll advise is to be flexible! I did a September ED as well, and the day I wanted to hit up the Stelvio pass a snowstorm socked it in completely. The weather can be unpredictable at that time of year, and generally you won't know until maybe a day or so in advance if it's going to be clear. On the bright side, that afforded me an extra day to hit up Garmisch... which hadn't originally been on my itinerary but turned into a fantastic day to walk around with my girlfriend and son in a beautiful town

Other than that... sounds like a lot of fun.
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 04-25-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_330 View Post
I think it sounds excellent... but all I'll advise is to be flexible! I did a September ED as well, and the day I wanted to hit up the Stelvio pass a snowstorm socked it in completely. The weather can be unpredictable at that time of year, and generally you won't know until maybe a day or so in advance if it's going to be clear. On the bright side, that afforded me an extra day to hit up Garmisch... which hadn't originally been on my itinerary but turned into a fantastic day to walk around with my girlfriend and son in a beautiful town

Other than that... sounds like a lot of fun.
Good advice on being flexible. I'll have backup plan just in case the mountain passes are snowed in.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Convertible
We did an ED in mid-September '08 for a 335 convertible. After two nights in Munich, one pre-pickup and one post-pickup, we headed out and spent the rest of the two weeks in Italy and France (where the food and wine are so much better, IMHO) before drop off in Nice. Spent nights in Bolzano, at Lake Como, Fiesole (just outside Florence), San Gimignano, and a small ancient hill town just west of Nice. I don't think we had even one night where we had the car in a "secured" parking facility. It was never touched or damaged in any way. Maybe just plain dumb luck? but based on my experience I wouldn't be concerned unless I was parking in a very big city.

Have a great time. Done right, you'll remember it for a long, long, time.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs & Ram trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrd View Post
don't think we had even one night where we had the car in a "secured" parking facility. It was never touched or damaged in any way. Maybe just plain dumb luck? but based on my experience I wouldn't be concerned unless I was parking in a very big city.
After 15/16 ED's I agree 100%. Prague might be an exception We will have an extended 6 week ED this summer and I doubt if the M6 will ever see a "secured" parking spot, and likely never be parked indoors.

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles

Last edited by dkreidel; 04-26-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
After 15/16 ED's I agree 100%. Prague might be an exception We will have an extended 6 week ED this summer and I doubt if the M6 will ever see a "secured" parking spot, and likely never be parked indoors.
Thanks. I am personally not too worried about getting secured parking. I think the same sort of common sense i use here will probably apply in Europe as well, like not leaving things in the car that can be seen from outside. I remember reading one OP's ED post that his car's rear window broken into when they were in Paris because someone in his party left a suitcase in the backseat.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
September is festival season with Oktoberfest being late September. I think it starts the September 21 this year.

Also since your heading to Strasbourg and you want to check out the wine region, also check out the Wurstmarkt (September 6 to 10 and 13 to 16) in Bad Dürkheim to the north in Rheinland-Pfalz if you don't miss the dates. It's allegedly the biggest wine festival in the world. I like it because it's like Oktoberfest but with wine.

http://www.oktoberfest.de/
http://www.duerkheimer-wurstmarkt.de/
Old 04-26-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxComb View Post
September is festival season with Oktoberfest being late September. I think it starts the September 21 this year.

Also since your heading to Strasbourg and you want to check out the wine region, also check out the Wurstmarkt (September 6 to 10 and 13 to 16) in Bad Dürkheim to the north in Rheinland-Pfalz if you don't miss the dates. It's allegedly the biggest wine festival in the world. I like it because it's like Oktoberfest but with wine.

http://www.oktoberfest.de/
http://www.duerkheimer-wurstmarkt.de/
Thanks! Unfortunately, i will be only be arriving in Munich on 9/16 and won't head toward Strasbourg still the 20th.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:30 AM

Mein Auto: MB CLK
If you've been to Innsbruck several times before and are only using it as somewhere to sleep, your money would be better spent maybe by going a little further, to Kufstein. It's just off the Autobahn and has a beautiful old-town below the castle. Stay in the Auracher Loechl Hotel (http://www.auracher-loechl.at/)

Winter Tire Rentals Munich, Germany
Vacation Property Rentals

Last edited by john lance; 04-27-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lance View Post
If you've been to Innsbruck several times before and are only using it as somewhere to sleep, your money would be better spent maybe by going a little further, to Kufstein. It's just off the Autobahn and has a beautiful old-town below the castle. Stay in the Auracher Loechl Hotel (http://www.auracher-loechl.at/)
I think you are right. Kufstein may be a better place to spend the night than Innsbruck. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:19 PM

For those who had done the factory tour, do you know how i can schedule the factory tour the day before delivery? Information on bmw-welt.com indicates it is possible to go on a tour of the plant or visit the museum on the day before or after collecting the car, but it does not say how to make it happen. Do i go through my CA to make this happen?

http://www.bmw-welt.com/en/automobil...ery/index.html

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Quote:
For those who had done the factory tour, do you know how i can schedule the factory tour the day before delivery? Information on bmw-welt.com indicates it is possible to go on a tour of the plant or visit the museum on the day before or after collecting the car, but it does not say how to make it happen. Do i go through my CA to make this happen?

Thanks!
According to others, the BMW lounge at the Welt gives you an ID card when you get there. You can use that for the museum, I presume. For the factory tour, I wrote twice but did not get a response. According to another post, someone else experienced the same thing but they got a reservation by calling them. I plan to call them next week or so. It may be possible to get a tour when you get to Germany but I don't want to wait that long.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
According to others, the BMW lounge at the Welt gives you an ID card when you get there. You can use that for the museum, I presume. For the factory tour, I wrote twice but did not get a response. According to another post, someone else experienced the same thing but they got a reservation by calling them. I plan to call them next week or so. It may be possible to get a tour when you get to Germany but I don't want to wait that long.
Thanks. I'll contact them by phone then.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
I went through my CA. Probably the easiest and most friction-free route in my opinion
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 04-30-2013, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: '12 328xi, '11 135i
Quote:

Thanks!
Last summer on the wifes 328 ED, we went to the Welt the day before around 10.
They checked us in, gave us our cards, and had no problem getting us into the 11:30 english factory tour.
Made the next days delivery alot more relaxed.