Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 200 BMW Z3 2.5L
BMW Z3 Hardtop Mounting Hardware

Yep, probably about the hundredth thread in regards to this part or kit... but I could use some serious help.

I've so far called:
BMW
ESS
ECS
Turner
BMWPartStore
eEuro
ModBargains
BMW Parts Unlimited
OEMbimmerparts
FCP (OEM Euro Parts)
Bavarian Autosport (These guys are by far the most knowledgeable and helpful out of all I've called so far)
Autoanything (shot in the dark)
Tomkinsin OEM BMW parts
South Atlanta BMW

And a few others along with scouring the depths of ebay, amazon, and CL... Can't find one.

I had one lined up with ECS last week, but since then someone has literally bought the last kit. Does anyone know where I could find this part/kit or even just the parts to mount the hardtop that I've just bought?

Part/Kit #: 54219408699

Also starting to think that I might just call up a metal/machine shop and see if they can't make something like this for me.

Much thanks to anyone who bothers to spend a moment on this.

Last edited by Skiddish; 04-18-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
Try getbmwparts.com

Old 04-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Did a quick Google and found these...

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...219408699.html

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...219408699.html

http://www.bmwpartsupply.com/OEMPart...219408699.html

Didn't call any to verify stock though.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Technology Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW Perf Tune, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khammack View Post
On those I called all of them, they don't have one in stock. They tell me every time that I can order one and I proceed to inform them that BMW told me the part was discontinued as of the time being and that they don't have any in stock (US or Germany). This leads to them informing me that they won't get it any faster and they'll put a query in for 90 days for the part, whether one comes up or not is iffy.

Thank you for your time in the search though!

Can't find a contact for getbmwparts.com but workin on that one now.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddish View Post
On those I called all of them, they don't have one in stock. They tell me every time that I can order one and I proceed to inform them that BMW told me the part was discontinued as of the time being and that they don't have any in stock (US or Germany). This leads to them informing me that they won't get it any faster and they'll put a query in for 90 days for the part, whether one comes up or not is iffy.

Thank you for your time in the search though!

Can't find a contact for getbmwparts.com but workin on that one now.
They are internet only, no phone. It's the online sales dept of Tischer BMW in Silver Spring, MD. IF you can't source the kit (Which I know is still available) You can always buy the parts piecemeal.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
They are internet only, no phone. It's the online sales dept of Tischer BMW in Silver Spring, MD. IF you can't source the kit (Which I know is still available) You can always buy the parts piecemeal.
How would I buy parts piecemeal? I haven't heard of that before.
Also, how do you know it's still available?!?!?!?!

Thank you again for all your time and aid with this!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:01 PM

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/Z3...hardtop_parts/
You need item #'s
4 (Left and Right)
2 #6's.
2 #3's
Those are the vital parts required to bolt the top onto the car.
If you want the trim covers, they are items 25 and 35, if you want to operate the rear defroster there are a few bits and the switch you'd need which are in a different section of the catalog.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:48 PM

Thanks again for the part breakdown. I've found a number of those diagrams and I'll call around to see if I can't find some of those parts at dealers or something.

But I have to ask again, how do you know they have that one Kit?!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks again for the part breakdown. I've found a number of those diagrams and I'll call around to see if I can't find some of those parts at dealers or something.

But I have to ask again, how do you know they have that one Kit?!
some people say they got them recently (within 6 mos) over on bimmerforums.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
some people say they got them recently (within 6 mos) over on bimmerforums.
I'll take your word for it and you're my savior. I started offering the sales operators a $50 finders fee that's how desperate I was starting to get. Thanks again!

Let me know if there's anything I can do for you!
Old 04-21-2013, 03:20 PM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Mein Auto: S54 M Coupe x2, M52 Z3
All you really need are the two mounting brackets and the two bolts in the front.

The rest can be sourced at home depot with a little ingenuity.
1999 Estoril / Estoril Coupe

Sunroofs are for girls.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpire View Post
All you really need are the two mounting brackets and the two bolts in the front.

That's what I was hoping one of the members here would come up with and say "Sure you can have mine! (for a price)." I was kind of just shooting in the dark for the parts due to my current situation (soft top was broken into). I bought a kit off of getbmwparts.com and the charges are all pending so we'll see how it goes.

If it doesn't work out I will be going to a metal shop to see if they can't make me the bracket that mounts on the B-Pillar and piece the rest of it together myself.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
That's what I was hoping one of the members here would come up with and say "Sure you can have mine! (for a price)." I was kind of just shooting in the dark for the parts due to my current situation (soft top was broken into). I bought a kit off of getbmwparts.com and the charges are all pending so we'll see how it goes.

If it doesn't work out I will be going to a metal shop to see if they can't make me the bracket that mounts on the B-Pillar and piece the rest of it together myself.
You SHOULDn't have any issues getting the rear brackets. A friend of mine bought them about a month and a half ago for a HT he purchased down south. We'll be journeying to pick it up in Mid-May.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:00 AM

Just a quick update:

They didn't have one at GetBMWparts.com and it was a bit of a hassle to deal with them as they had no phone number; in my opinion it's just easier to contact people via phone than anything else these days. What I ended up doing was calling BMW of Austin to find various parts that I would need to order from the dealership to assemble the hardtop and he informed me that the kit was in some warehouses that had just updated their numbers recently. I went on the phone calling spree again and found two that were spoken for and a third that was not.

It is now on the way.

Thanks again to all y'alls help!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:38 PM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Mein Auto: S54 M Coupe x2, M52 Z3
Quote:

You can have mine for a price.

I am not shipping.

And you have to buy the hardtop too.
1999 Estoril / Estoril Coupe

Sunroofs are for girls.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:10 PM

BMW Z3 Hardtop Mounting Hardware

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1368058148.876147.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	375500

This is what the final product ended up looking like!

I have a minor leak over the drivers side but I hope to fix that when I replace the rubber seal that lines the outer windshield frame.

Honestly couldn't be happier with how this turned out!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-15-2013, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 z3 bmw
I dont know if you tryed autobahn here in fort worth ,tx 1-800375 7287,ask for TRENT in bmw parts DEPTS.He took the time to pull up the screen on hard top assembly.I needed passenger side locking handel.he was able to get one for me ,a new one,here in the U S A,if not he would have orerded fom GERMANY.when I bought mine a month ago the seller and I removed the mounting brackets,and installed them on ,I lucked OUT!!.MY z 3 is black,Ive got to figure out how to remove the locking handel,it was expensive total 182.00$
Old 05-16-2013, 07:53 PM

very nice!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatofelix View Post
I dont know if you tryed autobahn here in fort worth ,tx 1-800375 7287,ask for TRENT in bmw parts DEPTS.He took the time to pull up the screen on hard top assembly.I needed passenger side locking handel.he was able to get one for me ,a new one,here in the U S A,if not he would have orerded fom GERMANY.when I bought mine a month ago the seller and I removed the mounting brackets,and installed them on ,I lucked OUT!!.MY z 3 is black,Ive got to figure out how to remove the locking handel,it was expensive total 182.00$
To remove the rear locking handle you need to remove the liner its held in with plastic fasteners on the front and the sides and velcro at the top of the rear window. Once you do that you will see the screws that attach it to the top.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 z3 bmw
You are corect ,with the help of a friend,we took off the liner,its THE ONLY WAY!! to get to it.WE had trouble with the drivers side it didnt lock down,we had to spray liquid wrench silicone on the locking nut,in order to adjust down the locking PIN,once that was done both sides when down and locked perfect,it took us a while but we did it! the hardist was figuring out why one side (the new locking assemb.)was locking real good and the drivers side wasnt, it was that the pin that need to be adjusted down!
Old 08-11-2013, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: z3
Well, it does not take much to attach these tops;

Saturday afternoon I bought one over in Illinois, lowered the cloth top, the seller & I placed the hardtop, & strapped it on;

Then I motored 3 miles to the Main St AZ parts store, bought a 8mm x 50 hex bolt, &2 washers;

Then motored over to the Ace Hdwr store by IC, bought another 8mm x 50 bolt;

While bolting down the top a redneck stopped by to ask about the poly strap, apparently thinking this was supplied by BMW;

After lashing down the B pillar crank bolts, I thanked the redneck for the cold beer, removed the poly strap, then motored 530 miles back to the south plains Kansas,
Old 08-11-2013, 04:28 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick19 View Post
... placed the hardtop, & strapped it on... After lashing down the B pillar crank bolts, I... removed the poly strap, then motored 530 miles back...
How did this temporary poly strap go on the top; did it wrap around the car to hold the top down? After buying the bolts and washers at the auto and hardware stores, was any more hardware needed after the trip home?
Old 08-12-2013, 01:22 AM

Mein Auto: z3
The strap went over the top & lashed down to existing hard points;

This was temporary for a few miles;

Egress was awkward at best;

Once the bolts were placed, the egress was nominal;

More hardware is being developed, stay posted;
Old 02-10-2014, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: X3 & Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpire View Post

Is your hardtop still for sale? I am in Tampa. bmwpc@cs.com
Old 03-06-2014, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 Roadster
Smile Hardtop Mounting Hardware

I just bought a pair of brackets form Tompkinson BMW in Fort Wayne, Indiana. (Feb 2014).
They ordered them from the "Crash Parts" catalog as separate parts. About $500 delivered. The rest (bolts) comes from the local hardware store. I am ignoring the defroster hookup which is more trouble than it is worth.
The whole thing came together perfectly!
Good Luck!