Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 04-25-2013, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 04 530i
Dirty oil filler cap - brown sludge????

I have an 04 530i. After checking my fluids - I noticed this brownish sludge on the inside of my oil filler cap. It also looks like there is some run down from the cap.

Has this happened to anyone? What causes this? How do I prevent this from reoccurring?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Bimmer App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366912314802.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	373062   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366912328590.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	373063  
Ads by Google
Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
"sludge" = carbon buildup from extended oil changes and/or poor quality oil/filters. But most likely extended (nonexistent) " oil changes.

Get yourself a super bright LED flashlight and take a peak inside of the oil cap opening. If you see a slight sludge buildup in there you're going to need a professional engine flush.

It'll run about $250 for a BG brand flush.

But "flushing" the engine also has major drawbacks if the sludge buildup is extensive. If it is extensive, they'll have to open up the engine and thoroughly clean in a more manual method.

This could also be the result of extensive oil additives.

Hopefully a Professional BG engine flush can clean it out without clogging any oil ports.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:54 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
How many miles?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: A Car
BMW M54 engines are known to be sludge monsters if not maintained properly.
It could also be that the CCV Valve is broken. To know if it is broken, start the engine and try to remove the Oil Filler Cap, if theres a strong suction/vacuum that is holding the Oil Filler Cap then your CCV Valve needs to be replaced.

If your CCV Valve is fine then i would just recommend you do do shorter oil change intervals, your engine will not blow up because of that small amount of sludge, let the oil take care of it.
Use an original oil filter or a Mann oil filter (They manufacture the oil filters for BMW I-6 Engines) and use a good oil.

You can either use a good dino oil and run really short intervals or you could go synthetic and run longer intervals.
I would recommend running a couple short interval oil changes with a good dino oil (4K-5K) and then switch to synthetic.

Mann Oil Filter model for your engine is HU 925/4 X

Last edited by UltimateDriving; 04-25-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
That looks like a classic short-drive, long oil interval end result. Too much moisture in the oil that doesn't get chance to evaporate.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i, 2010 335ic
Question How much suction is normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDriving View Post
BMW M54 engines are known to be sludge monsters if not maintained properly.
It could also be that the CCV Valve is broken. To know if it is broken, start the engine and try to remove the Oil Filler Cap, if theres a strong suction/vacuum that is holding the Oil Filler Cap then your CCV Valve needs to be replaced.

If your CCV Valve is fine then i would just recommend you do do shorter oil change intervals, your engine will not blow up because of that small amount of sludge, let the oil take care of it.
Use an original oil filter or a Mann oil filter (They manufacture the oil filters for BMW I-6 Engines) and use a good oil.

You can either use a good dino oil and run really short intervals or you could go synthetic and run longer intervals.
I would recommend running a couple short interval oil changes with a good dino oil (4K-5K) and then switch

Mann Oil Filter model for your engine is HU 925/4 X
Both my cars have n54 engine. An 09 535i and a 2010 335i Suction on oil filler cap seems mild IMO, but does exist. Both caps are a little dirty. My question is are their any more signs CCV needs to be checked. Bought both cars CPO and have no idea if oil was changed often enough. My first post be gentle---
Old 04-26-2013, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
Re: Dirty oil filler cap - brown sludge????

Not bad really. You have a 9 yr old car after all. Cut your OCI by half (~5k miles) and that'll clean it up.

Sent from my MB525 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-26-2013, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
I don't know guys. Once sludge is present to where it is coating the oil cap; you've got "sludge", and I don't think oil changes will clean it.

I use BG "Engine Purge" (Naphtha/Kerosene) in such situations, and that will clean up a lot of it, but you have to be careful because it can clog oil ports.

My BMW 545i had dealer performed oil changes at 15k intervals before I bought it at 100K and it doesn't have any significant sludge on the cap or visible within the cap opening.

Synthetic BMW LL-01 oil will do a decent job of preventing extensive sludge build-up, but once the sludge is there, I don't think any oil will clean it up.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrumpy View Post
I don't know guys. Once sludge is present to where it is coating the oil cap; you've got "sludge", and I don't think oil changes will clean it.

I use BG "Engine Purge" (Naphtha/Kerosene) in such situations, and that will clean up a lot of it, but you have to be careful because it can clog oil ports.

My BMW 545i had dealer performed oil changes at 15k intervals before I bought it at 100K and it doesn't have any significant sludge on the cap or visible within the cap opening.

Synthetic BMW LL-01 oil will do a decent job of preventing extensive sludge build-up, but once the sludge is there, I don't think any oil will clean it up.
While that is totally true i think that unless it is extremely sludged up it is not necessary to do anything but if you want to clean it, get someone that knows what they are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrbb View Post
Both my cars have n54 engine. An 09 535i and a 2010 335i Suction on oil filler cap seems mild IMO, but does exist. Both caps are a little dirty. My question is are their any more signs CCV needs to be checked. Bought both cars CPO and have no idea if oil was changed often enough. My first post be gentle---
I have an E39 that sludged up extremely bad due to a broken CCV Valve. (Did not notice the problem until it was too late)
Changing oil in proper intervals and driving until the engine warms up properly usually prevents this.
Sometimes they are not broken but are clogged with sludge and that can cause problems with long cold starts, rough idling etc. (Mine had long cold starts and rough idling)

Heres a video, mine was like this except there was no noise, just a high vacuum.

Now that E39 is my beater.
Hahahahaha i got my indy to open the valve cover and the oil pan to clean what he could and now i run dino oil (Shell) in it in short intervals (6 Months) and use Mann Filters.

Last edited by UltimateDriving; 04-26-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:02 AM
From DownUnder

Mein Auto: '04 525i M54 with 6HP19Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgw69 View Post
I have an 04 530i. After checking my fluids - I noticed this brownish sludge on the inside of my oil filler cap. It also looks like there is some run down from the cap.

Has this happened to anyone? What causes this? How do I prevent this from reoccurring?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Bimmer App
If you really want to know how bad that rusty cap could be, then do a VCG replacement and you might know what condition the engine migth be actually. Because just the cap or looking into the hole of that cap is not going to do anything. Might help to look at my post earlier. The only solution is regular service from 3-5K's.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...023&highlight=