Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 AM
egunner egunner is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8; 2013 X3 3.5
HUD on 2013 X3

We took delivery of my wife's X3 (3.5) White/Black last week, it is opitioned with everything except the cold weather package II.

Question is on the HUD: I can only get the speed limit to display in the windshield?
I have set the display for everything. Is this the only thing that will display? My son's M5 displays a lot of info on the windshield.

Anybody know if this is correct, I am thinking it isn't working properly.

Gunner

Last edited by egunner; 03-27-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM
pharding pharding is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,996
Mein Auto: 11 550i
The M5 HUD displays more info. You should see actual speed and Nav arrow display.
__________________
04 Successfully lobbied BMW NA and BMW FS to prohibit dealers from using residual values based upon Euro Delivery MSRP and to use US MSRP saving BMW Enthusiasts several thousand dollars on each lease

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 PM
IRBD IRBD is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: '13 335xiM / '13 X3 35iM
I have the same gripe - here's the post I made in another forum today:

Ok, I really love the heads up display and don't think I can live without it again, BUT... The HUD in the 2013 335xi is better, and I'd love to know why they aren't the same. Here are my "suggestions" to anyone from BMW who monitors the forum.

In the 335, the speed, navigation, radio scrolling, music choices, incoming phone ID - everything - is shown in the HUD. I never need to take my eyes off the road and can do all choices with my thumb on the wheel. In the X3, only the speed and navigation are shown. Radio and phone functions (anything that operates from the thumb wheel) are shown down in the instrument cluster - this is a poor location (have to look all the way down and refocus), and it duplicates the info on the control screen which is actually higher and larger font. The thumb wheel on the steering wheel is almost never used because it's easier and safer to use the control screen and the iDrive knob.

The less important item is that in the 335 the HUD speed is white during the daytime and orange at night - in the X3 it is always orange. Does anyone know why they made the decision to make them different? Is there some secret switch I'm unaware of that would make the X3 as good as the 335? And can it be coded to act the same?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Tadeus_NOR Tadeus_NOR is offline
Registered User
Location: Oslo, Norway
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: BMW X-3, F25
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRBD View Post
I have the same gripe - here's the post I made in another forum today:

Ok, I really love the heads up display and don't think I can live without it again, BUT... The HUD in the 2013 335xi is better, and I'd love to know why they aren't the same. Here are my "suggestions" to anyone from BMW who monitors the forum.

In the 335, the speed, navigation, radio scrolling, music choices, incoming phone ID - everything - is shown in the HUD. I never need to take my eyes off the road and can do all choices with my thumb on the wheel. In the X3, only the speed and navigation are shown. Radio and phone functions (anything that operates from the thumb wheel) are shown down in the instrument cluster - this is a poor location (have to look all the way down and refocus), and it duplicates the info on the control screen which is actually higher and larger font. The thumb wheel on the steering wheel is almost never used because it's easier and safer to use the control screen and the iDrive knob.

The less important item is that in the 335 the HUD speed is white during the daytime and orange at night - in the X3 it is always orange. Does anyone know why they made the decision to make them different? Is there some secret switch I'm unaware of that would make the X3 as good as the 335? And can it be coded to act the same?
You may fix this HUD problem by coding. See link below. In addition I have "speed limit" and "No passing" sign (when applicable) showing in hud, and different system warnings etc. Very happy with the HUD.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=78

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-04-2013, 03:53 PM
pharding pharding is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,996
Mein Auto: 11 550i
Make sure that all the feauture buttons are pressed on. There are 4 or 5 clustered together lower left of the steering wheel.
__________________
04 Successfully lobbied BMW NA and BMW FS to prohibit dealers from using residual values based upon Euro Delivery MSRP and to use US MSRP saving BMW Enthusiasts several thousand dollars on each lease

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2013, 11:06 AM
egunner egunner is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8; 2013 X3 3.5
HUD Info

Finally found one of the techs at the dealer that knows the HUD system.
Yes, the X3 HUD is a cheaper version than one used on the M5.
There are several things that show up only temporarily in the windshield (fasten seat belt, door open, etc).
The only 24/7 type display is the speed and (if you have nav) your nav directions if you enter a destination.
Really wish it had the M5 system.

Gunner

PS: wife's vehicle and only has about 350 miles on it in about 6 weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Kaland Kaland is offline
Registered User
Location: Norway
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X3 F25
Quote:
Originally Posted by egunner View Post
Yes, the X3 HUD is a cheaper version than one used on the M5.
FYI the X3 HUD is updated from MY2014 started April 1.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2013, 01:38 PM
roadkillrob roadkillrob is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,302
Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaland View Post
FYI the X3 HUD is updated from MY2014 started April 1.
yes, as of April 1, it has the full color 5 series version now.
__________________
2008 335i Vert Montego/Saddle/Grey Poplar
2014 X3 35i Space Grey/Chestnut/Fineline Wave
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-27-2013, 01:42 PM
egunner egunner is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8; 2013 X3 3.5
Thanks for the update, as our X3 is a 03/2013 build.
I will definitely check to see if an update for a 2013 is available.
Should have waited for the 2014 .

Gunner

Last edited by egunner; 04-27-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 PM
IRBD IRBD is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: '13 335xiM / '13 X3 35iM
I agree, I'd rather have the HUD from our 335 in the X3 (sleep limit signs, phone, radio, etc., and it's white in the daytime). And here's a useless but interesting thing I saw yesterday - I was driving in the sunshine (beautiful day) and all of a sudden I noticed that the speed in the HUD was really, really bright high intensity red - like some demon was trying to get out of the hood. After my initial fear wore off, I drove around trying to find just the right sun angle again!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms