Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #601  
Old 04-16-2013, 08:06 PM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,292
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Gotcha. Yeah that should be it. Not sure what I paid for it though, seems it was up around $20/bottle though. Not sure if bottle was liter or qt

http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=p...=184&parent=58
Reply With Quote
  #602  
Old 04-19-2013, 03:16 AM
peachykonan peachykonan is offline
Registered User
Location: maryland
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 2004 525i
re: Update

Just wanted to post another update.

2-1 downshift still gone.
There's a rare shimmy around 20-30 mph which can happen either early after starting the car or when going back to city driving after a long highway cruise.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=636985

Just wanted to say that if you can afford a full mechatronics replacement, go for it.

Last edited by peachykonan; 04-19-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #603  
Old 04-19-2013, 06:34 AM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,292
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachykonan View Post
Just wanted to post another update.

2-1 downshift still gone.
There's a rare shimmy around 20-30 mph which can happen either early after starting the car or when going back to city driving after a long highway cruise.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=636985

Just wanted to say that if you can afford a full mechatronics replacement, go for it.
I'm so paranoid on mine that every time there is a gear change in the 35-42mph range I think it's jerking again, lol. There's an upshift around 41-42mph, and a downshift somewhere in the 30's, but it's really just normal shifting
Reply With Quote
  #604  
Old 04-19-2013, 10:01 AM
krosnovski krosnovski is offline
Registered User
Location: Phoenix
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachykonan View Post
Just wanted to post another update.

2-1 downshift still gone.
There's a rare shimmy around 20-30 mph which can happen either early after starting the car or when going back to city driving after a long highway cruise.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=636985

Just wanted to say that if you can afford a full mechatronics replacement, go for it.
Correct me if I am wrong, but if the major ingredients in mechatronics are only TCU + valve-body + EDS solenoids, then I don't see any advantage in replacing the entire thing. In the absence of anything particularly catastrophic, something happening to the TCU and valve-body during normal operation has extremely low probability. The most vulnerable component seems to be the solenoids and changing the solenoids has helped out a few people here seems like.

Again, maybe i am just saying that because i desperately want to believe that the solenoids are the only issue with the stupid mechatronics. I'd rather spend my $2k someplace else.
Reply With Quote
  #605  
Old 04-19-2013, 06:04 PM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,292
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosnovski View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but if the major ingredients in mechatronics are only TCU + valve-body + EDS solenoids, then I don't see any advantage in replacing the entire thing. In the absence of anything particularly catastrophic, something happening to the TCU and valve-body during normal operation has extremely low probability. The most vulnerable component seems to be the solenoids and changing the solenoids has helped out a few people here seems like.

Again, maybe i am just saying that because i desperately want to believe that the solenoids are the only issue with the stupid mechatronics. I'd rather spend my $2k someplace else.
There are some parts that supposedly wear in the valve body, but I haven't heard many specifics on it so I don't know much about it (or even if it's true..)

Besides that, you're right. mechatronics = valvebody, solenoids & computer
Reply With Quote
  #606  
Old 04-21-2013, 01:18 AM
peachykonan peachykonan is offline
Registered User
Location: maryland
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 2004 525i
Thanks for the information. I pushed the engine to test the transmission and this 2-3 shimmy started to happen (maybe once per drive). It started out pretty hard but has lessened quite a bit over the past week.
Reply With Quote
  #607  
Old 04-25-2013, 01:37 AM
kiwi_chris kiwi_chris is offline
Registered User
Location: Genoa, Italy
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 535D
So, after finally getting an appointment at my local Italian independent garage for yesterday, I'm still no further along. After agreeing to the job (swapping out the solenoids for the new ones I gave them), they didn't go through with it in the end, only going as far as changing the ATF fluid with the new liquid gold I provided. After a lot of going back and forth to Google Translate, I worked out that, after calling 'their specialist guy' for transmissions, they'd decided there was a risk of burning out the electrics. Plus they'd have to take off the muffler support?? (or something like that?)

Needless to say I'm pretty disappointed and was somewhat pissed. I was so excited to hopefully have finally resolved this surging / gear confusion issue and to report back to you all with positive results from another happy customer!

I now have to find somebody else who will actually carry out the work, and buy some new ATF fluid, yet again. I've still got a box of 7 brand new ZF solenoids, a mech adapter and sleeve. No way am I going to just stick em in the cupboard and call it quits!

Can anybody tell me what the risk is to the electrics? And of this muffler support they spoke of? I'll be now advertising on a few local web sites, seeking an independent mechanic willing to undertake the work. *sigh*...
Reply With Quote
  #608  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 AM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,292
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_chris View Post
So, after finally getting an appointment at my local Italian independent garage for yesterday, I'm still no further along. After agreeing to the job (swapping out the solenoids for the new ones I gave them), they didn't go through with it in the end, only going as far as changing the ATF fluid with the new liquid gold I provided. After a lot of going back and forth to Google Translate, I worked out that, after calling 'their specialist guy' for transmissions, they'd decided there was a risk of burning out the electrics. Plus they'd have to take off the muffler support?? (or something like that?)

Needless to say I'm pretty disappointed and was somewhat pissed. I was so excited to hopefully have finally resolved this surging / gear confusion issue and to report back to you all with positive results from another happy customer!

I now have to find somebody else who will actually carry out the work, and buy some new ATF fluid, yet again. I've still got a box of 7 brand new ZF solenoids, a mech adapter and sleeve. No way am I going to just stick em in the cupboard and call it quits!

Can anybody tell me what the risk is to the electrics? And of this muffler support they spoke of? I'll be now advertising on a few local web sites, seeking an independent mechanic willing to undertake the work. *sigh*...
That royally sucks.

Once you pull out the "mechatroncis" assembly, you are left with 3 main parts on that assembly. There's the valve body, the solenoids, and the computer / electronics. You have to remove the electronics to get to the solenoids. I would assume there is a [very small] possibility of frying the electronics if you gave it a good shock of static electricity or something like that. When I ordered my solenoids, Klaus @ thectsc.com warned me to be careful. I have no idea if it's easy to mess them up or not, but I didn't do anything special with mine for whatever it's worth.

In regards to the "muffler support", there are two things that come to mind. There is a short support rod (it's literally a 3/8" rod with holes that screws can go through on each end) that bolt to the exhaust, but that is just removing two nuts and it falls off. It absolutely is not an issue to anyone who knows what a wrench is. I can't even imagine why this would be a big deal.

The other thing they could be talking about is a mount that goes on the back of the transmission. It uses male torx bolts and is pretty tough to get to without the right tools. You do not need to remove this unless you're changing the mechatronics seal (I didn't have the right tools at the time and did not remove mine or change the mechatronics seal.. which I will probably regret later, lol)


You should just fly me over to Italy and I'll take care of it for you

Last edited by schpenxel; 04-25-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #609  
Old 04-25-2013, 09:25 AM
peachykonan peachykonan is offline
Registered User
Location: maryland
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 2004 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachykonan View Post
Just wanted to post another update.

2-1 downshift still gone.
There's a rare shimmy around 20-30 mph which can happen either early after starting the car or when going back to city driving after a long highway cruise.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=636985

Just wanted to say that if you can afford a full mechatronics replacement, go for it.
Two weeks since the hard driving test, everything appears smoother than ever. The car was adapting slowly to the new changes and it's now the 4th day since perfection.

I take back what I said about the mechatronics replacement.
Reply With Quote
  #610  
Old 04-25-2013, 09:57 AM
kiwi_chris kiwi_chris is offline
Registered User
Location: Genoa, Italy
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 535D
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
That royally sucks.

Once you pull out the "mechatroncis" assembly, you are left with 3 main parts on that assembly. There's the valve body, the solenoids, and the computer / electronics. You have to remove the electronics to get to the solenoids. I would assume there is a [very small] possibility of frying the electronics if you gave it a good shock of static electricity or something like that. When I ordered my solenoids, Klaus @ thectsc.com warned me to be careful. I have no idea if it's easy to mess them up or not, but I didn't do anything special with mine for whatever it's worth.

In regards to the "muffler support", there are two things that come to mind. There is a short support rod (it's literally a 3/8" rod with holes that screws can go through on each end) that bolt to the exhaust, but that is just removing two nuts and it falls off. It absolutely is not an issue to anyone who knows what a wrench is. I can't even imagine why this would be a big deal.

The other thing they could be talking about is a mount that goes on the back of the transmission. It uses male torx bolts and is pretty tough to get to without the right tools. You do not need to remove this unless you're changing the mechatronics seal (I didn't have the right tools at the time and did not remove mine or change the mechatronics seal.. which I will probably regret later, lol)


You should just fly me over to Italy and I'll take care of it for you

Yeah I gave the guy a new sleeve adapter and seal to swap out at the same time. Figured since he's there, it'd be worth changing. I'm now advertising on a few local web sites for somebody to do it. I'd give it a go myself if I had the space, tools, car lift or jackstands etc...

Ha, yeah, return flights to Italy and back would probably still be cheaper than a new trans!
Reply With Quote
  #611  
Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 AM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,292
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_chris View Post
Yeah I gave the guy a new sleeve adapter and seal to swap out at the same time. Figured since he's there, it'd be worth changing. I'm now advertising on a few local web sites for somebody to do it. I'd give it a go myself if I had the space, tools, car lift or jackstands etc...

Ha, yeah, return flights to Italy and back would probably still be cheaper than a new trans!
$1500 round trip!
Reply With Quote
  #612  
Old 04-25-2013, 11:57 AM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,292
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachykonan View Post
Two weeks since the hard driving test, everything appears smoother than ever. The car was adapting slowly to the new changes and it's now the 4th day since perfection.

I take back what I said about the mechatronics replacement.
Good stuff!

thectsc.com owners can give me a store credit as commission for all the solenoids that are selling..
Reply With Quote
  #613  
Old 04-27-2013, 06:40 AM
peachykonan peachykonan is offline
Registered User
Location: maryland
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 2004 525i
I've been paranoid as well about any erratic transmission shifts and have been tracking changes since the service.

When I first got the car back, shifting wasn't entirely smooth and switching back to park can jolt the car. After a month this got a bit better, but then I pushed both in DS and D modes which developed the 2nd to 3rd gear shimmy. For the past two weeks, this gradually went away and now the car has reached a new plateau: shifting and switching to park is for the part imperceptible.

Thank *you* Schpenxel!
Reply With Quote
  #614  
Old 04-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Vapiano's Avatar
Vapiano Vapiano is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 155
Mein Auto: Dinan E60 M5 & 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
Good stuff!

thectsc.com owners can give me a store credit as commission for all the solenoids that are selling..
This is great to hear! Taking care of good customers who help them sell more product! Not to mention to the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_chris View Post
Yeah I gave the guy a new sleeve adapter and seal to swap out at the same time. Figured since he's there, it'd be worth changing. I'm now advertising on a few local web sites for somebody to do it. I'd give it a go myself if I had the space, tools, car lift or jackstands etc...

Ha, yeah, return flights to Italy and back would probably still be cheaper than a new trans!
My wife and I are planning our trip to Italy over the next few weeks. I can't wait!
__________________
2004 545iA, Titansilber Metallic/Black Dakota, Sport, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Navigation, Premium Sound, Logic 7, HL Washers, Active Steering/Suspension, PDC, Adaptive Bi-Xenon,Voice Command, Beltronics STiR +, 58% Full Tint, Smoked Side Markers, 19" Hyper Silver Avant Garde M359/Michelin PSS, M5 Trunk Finisher & iDrive Controller, Dinan Performance Mods: High Flow Intake & Throttle Body, S3 Engine Software, S1 Suspension, CF Front Strut Brace and High Flow Exhaust
Reply With Quote
  #615  
Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 AM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,292
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachykonan View Post
I've been paranoid as well about any erratic transmission shifts and have been tracking changes since the service.

When I first got the car back, shifting wasn't entirely smooth and switching back to park can jolt the car. After a month this got a bit better, but then I pushed both in DS and D modes which developed the 2nd to 3rd gear shimmy. For the past two weeks, this gradually went away and now the car has reached a new plateau: shifting and switching to park is for the part imperceptible.

Thank *you* Schpenxel!
That is awesome.

Get this.. I think about mine so much that I actually had a "nightmare" last night where all my symptoms came back, lol. I woke up pissssed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapiano View Post
This is great to hear! Taking care of good customers who help them sell more product! Not to mention to the community.
Welll, they aren't ACTUALLY giving me a store credit. I just thought it'd be a good idea (for me anyways)
Reply With Quote
  #616  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Damon54 Damon54 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 357
Mein Auto: 545
Just ask my neighbor where their big Bimmer Diesel Wagon went & was told they had just sold it to their Indy Mechanic because it needed $7K in tranny repairs. No idea if that was a ZF or not but, oops!

When I look at all the things that can go wrong with our 6HP26 , I don't even flinch at paying the $20 a quart from CTSC for LifeGuard6.

I am around 16,000 miles past my warranty mechatronic replacement (done at 96,000 or so) & due to two recent fluid changes now know exactly what the current condition of my ATF fluid is. Prior to this BMW had charged for only 2 quarts of fluid so they were "recycling" to be kind.

Last edited by Damon54; 05-01-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #617  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:29 AM
Damon54 Damon54 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 357
Mein Auto: 545
Tim,

I hope this does not drive you further into 6HP26 nightmare syndrome, but the only part I have seen between the plates in the mechatronic is a little bluish non metallic bearing/ sphere that the technicians at ZF replace with tweezers when they ultrasonically clean the plates & reassemble.




Last edited by Damon54; 05-01-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #618  
Old 05-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Rpman69 Rpman69 is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545i
How much did they charge you for the full upgrade on the computer ??
Reply With Quote
  #619  
Old 05-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Rpman69 Rpman69 is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyce77 View Post
I had the same issues. Just got full updates on the computer and it is completely gone
How much did you pay for the update ??
Reply With Quote
  #620  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:45 AM
edgt edgt is offline
Registered User
Location: Long Island , NY.
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoelax07 View Post
Ok HUGE issue now, so BMW calls tonight at 7pm, She talked to me for about 30mins on how the "area manager" said that they are declining any further action with this issue and if I would like it repaired I would have to have it diagnosed myself, and if this process leads to a mechanical problem, BMW will consider paying a portion of the costs. She then suggested to me(without the knowledge of BMW) that I try and find a lawyer to go into further action, because I am not the first to have this issue, and I know for a fact that there are many of you out there who are having this issue too. If your an e60 owner and are experiencing this issue pm me or post a reply to this post, a good family friend of mine is a lawyer and he would like to see how many people there are that have this issue, and is willing to take on this case, his father has a 04 530i that is having this issue as well, and would like to see something done about it. So please try and get this message out to all e60 owners to see if they have this issue, we all know that the 3 series were having tranny issues, and the x3's, the e60's may have it too.. PLEASE HELP!! Thank you
Same issues here... Sign me up for a lawsuit...
Reply With Quote
  #621  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:05 AM
Rpman69 Rpman69 is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545i
Sign me up as well for this issue . And please keep me posted . Many thanks
Reply With Quote
  #622  
Old 05-10-2013, 03:01 PM
djray77 djray77 is offline
Registered User
Location: Mi
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2004 545i/sport pkg
So I have the same issue with my 04 545i, I've only had it 1 month now and I did purchase a warranty with it. I guess the warranty will cover a reman trans replacement. BMW Dealer are saying it takes 14 hrs to install, the warranty company are saying only 9 hrs. Of course I have to pay the extra 5 hours in labor. This is the question, is the BMW dealer trying to scam me for more money?? or is the warranty company just being cheap?
Reply With Quote
  #623  
Old 05-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Bad Debt's Avatar
Bad Debt Bad Debt is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 367
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
05 545i Transmission Surging Issues help!

I would at least ask the Stealership to split the additional time with you. Sort of a good-faith thing b/c you could bring it to another dealership willing to do the work or an indy. They want the business- it's a good size job.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

'05 545i, Auto, Orient Blue, Beige Dakota,Bamboo Anthracite, Logic 7, Xenon, PDC, Premium Package, Mtec V2 AE, 19" E92 M3 Rep. Wheels, M5TEC Bumper , MTEC rear bumper, 70k miles as of 1/13.
Reply With Quote
  #624  
Old 05-12-2013, 01:28 PM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,292
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by djray77 View Post
So I have the same issue with my 04 545i, I've only had it 1 month now and I did purchase a warranty with it. I guess the warranty will cover a reman trans replacement. BMW Dealer are saying it takes 14 hrs to install, the warranty company are saying only 9 hrs. Of course I have to pay the extra 5 hours in labor. This is the question, is the BMW dealer trying to scam me for more money?? or is the warranty company just being cheap?
Probably both honestly.
Reply With Quote
  #625  
Old 05-14-2013, 04:42 PM
djray77 djray77 is offline
Registered User
Location: Mi
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2004 545i/sport pkg
Got some good news today! They are going to put in a new trans for me and accept the 9 hours the warranty company pays woohooo! Only 100 deductible out of my pocket. Really hope that puts the end to this annoying problem. I just hope the remaned trans was done right and there isnt something else knowing my luck.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advice, bmw 5 series, issues, tranny problems


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms