Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 04-27-2013, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: e90
Exclamation No dash lights , no ignition, no nothing

Hello everybody.

Please be patient in reading this. I also apologize for my english.
I have an incredible problem with a E61 from 2009/04.It started like this. I was driving on the highway while it was rainig "bad". My car just suddenly died . The key was stuck in the key slot, and nothing from there. When I started checking some thing's I've noticed that all the fuse's in the front had curent but not the one's in the trunk. i took out the relay behind the glove box and put it back and the fuses fuses in the back had current again and the key pop out the slot key..From there on, I had no luck what so ever. There are no dash lights when I insert the remote into the key slot, no ignition when I press the start stop button, no display image, no central locking, no working windows, the sunroof dosen't worc,etc. When the key is inserted and the interior lights are on no button work's in the car, just the hazard lights. She's just dead.

The things that work on the car are the following:

1. interior lights
2. headlights light up
3. radio

When I insert the remote control into the slot and i press twice the start/stop button only the headlight's light up.

The thing's I checked:

1. power distribution box in the back
2. fuse box behind the glove box
3. positive battery cable
4. negative battery cable
5. IBS
6. ignition switch
7. CAS
8. slot key
9. KGM - body module and KBM
10. battery
11. DDE
12. all the wiring between start stop button / slot key / CAS, CAS / KGM /DDE , IBS / CAS
13. all relay's
14. terminal 30 / 30g-f / KL. 15WUP wire. (reley's)
15. fuses of cource.
16. link's to the starter / alternator
17. all the positive cable's that go from the back to the front
18. ground's

The thing's I replaced in the car:

ALL THE THING'S THAT I'VE CHECKED. Except for the terminal's of cource.

DID I miss something.well something sure is wrong.It wont BUDGE.

Thank you for reading. maybe you the great community can help. Please I'm desperate. BIG TIME. Hope to find the problem,

Thank you again.
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i
At this point, I would just take it to a dealer or an indy that specializes in BMWs.

If the build date was April of 2009, the car is still under warranty assuming you don't have more than 50k miles on it. It will be expiring soon so I would get it in asap.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i -Titanium Silver -Grey Dakota -Dark Poplar -Premium -Sport -Cold Weather -Xenons -Heated Rear Seats -Active Steering -Logic 7 -Sirius
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers) -Smokey Granite Mica -Black -Premium -Comfort -Nav -Tow Prep -Premium Sound -Wood Steering Wheel/Shifter
Old 04-27-2013, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Did u try a new battery ? Also check the charging relay in the trunk fuse box ? its a black 1inch x 1inch square fuse,, possibly whent bad and stopped charging ur battery while driving and killed ur battery... U said it was raining hard.. by any chance did u check the spare tire compartment and see if u have any water in there ?.. Possibly frying ur modules, look in there if u havent.. Hopefully thats not it..
Old 04-27-2013, 12:04 PM

i have a new battery, i checked the spare tire compartment. i checked the relay, the fuse box, and all of this components. i had the car at a BMW service for a week and they dind't found anything.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal86 View Post
i have a new battery, i checked the spare tire compartment. i checked the relay, the fuse box, and all of this components. i had the car at a BMW service for a week and they dind't found anything.
Try contacting member bmwoem1. He is the master,, maybe he can direct u in the right direction.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:17 PM

Thank you very much. I will do that.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530 XIT
How did you make out with your problem? I have a 2006 E61 (530 XIT) and recently tried to reinvigorate the Diversity Antenna Amp. Now the car is dead. All the fuses seem to be OK, the battery is new, but the car won't crank. Additionally, there are a bunch of other systems that have died. The last thing I want to do (and I assume you got the same feeling) is have the car towed to BMW for their 'diagnostics' which may or may not fix the problem.
Cheers
Larry ftom Calgary
Old 08-02-2013, 09:54 AM

Hello

Yes I know the feeling. My car had a lot of problem's. I replaced the following;

1. Kombi
2. body module
3. gateway module
4. pdc
5. shd
6. CAS
and finally lucky number 7 - DDE

They said that all of these module's had the k-can in short circuit. sorry for my english.

The best way that I think you can try and fix this is to take out one module at a time and maybe one of this has a short circuit. Try to disconnect the IBS sensor and the try to start the car.

It can be a start button, the slot key etc. It can be anything.

Your car dosen't crank at all but you can turn the ignition on or she is really dead?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:13 AM

Still won't crank

The dash lights up, lot's of noises but no starter engagement. I will start to isolate the items you mentioned. I guess it's possible that some circuits blew when I replaced the DAA but I can't figure out why it didn't just pop the 5a fuse.
Still Walking!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:42 PM

hmmm

You can try to eliminate what I have said, but don't worry to much about that beacause you couuld have done that if your dash was dead.Maybe the starter dosen't turn, beacause it's the starter.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:09 AM

Good thoughts!

I wish it was the starter but I also have the other systems that have gone dead in conjunction withe no cranking. No stereo/idrive system, no sunroof operation, no security system 'beeps', no back up lights - just a whole bunch of additional systems that have quit working in addition to no cranking.
Have any thoughts regarding possible ground faults and where to look for them? I was messing around in the spare tire well and the rear fuse block - did something else come loose?
Thanks
Larry
Old 08-05-2013, 12:32 PM

Nope.Nothing else.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:33 PM

Terminal 30 g relay

Changed it out it made no differnce, still the same systems are not functioning. Someone suggested that after getting the Diversity Antenna back in the car 'repaired', that the attempt to program the new remote from BMW may have activated the security system and disabled the starter.
Is there a way around this or a way to check?
Cheers
Larry
Old 08-14-2013, 08:04 AM

Hot Wired but still BIG issues

For anyone that has read this post so far, here's the latest.
Started the car by how wiring. Car drove but only in one gear, partial power steering, no radio, security system, sunroof power, steering wheels adjustment and more. I took it to a shop with all the scanning gear and they were basically unable to fully communicate with the car. 64 codes in all but the main one were all transmission codes - they immediately told me the tranny computer was kaput and big bucks ($3k). I told them to stop and relook at the Diversity Antenna Amp and they are going to replace that ($460 for the part).
Sure hope that's the problem!
Any suggestions?
Cheers
Larry