Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: Z3, 2.3 2000, Passat 1.8
Wheel a lignment

I purchased a set of apex-8 wheels and had them mounted on some General's at Condrad's my local tire installed, The wheels and tires look great. My question is, I have to get my wheel alignment done the dealer, because this what Condrad's told me: the car has to have weights put in the car and they need to used special tooling Does this sound correct?
Old 04-28-2013, 07:03 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Did the tire shop see wear on your old front tires that might have indicated an alignment was needed? The rear tires wear more on the inside due to the normal camber of the rear suspension.

If your car has had suspension changes that affect camber, usually lowering springs, or had had suspension damage, then a four-wheel alignment can be done starting with the rear.

But replacing tires, wheels or even struts and shocks does not normally require an alignment. The camber is not affected, nor is it easily adjustable. The only alignment that might be needed is steering toe-in, which is not affected by those replacements, but can be disturbed by hitting potholes and curbs. Weights and special tools are not needed for a Z3 alignment.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 2.8
No special tools, they recomend weight to simulate a normal load. Tell them you'll sit in it for them, no better yet find a different shop.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=401917
Old 04-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
Here are specified conditions from the TIS:

2 x 68 kg on front seats (seats in central position), 1 x 14 kg in luggage compartment (center) and full fuel tank.

All other conditions assume proper tires and wheels, proper inflation, wheel bearings in good condition, and a ride-level check.

This is if you want to check ALL alignment points to factory specifications. Most don't go to this extent since front toe is the only adjustment. If you are troubleshooting suspension problems it might make sense to be sure that these conditions are met.

I replaced my front control arms and bushings and even that didn't disturb my alignment.

Last edited by dkindig; 04-28-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:51 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkindig View Post
Here are specified conditions from the TIS: 2 x 68 kg on front seats (seats in central position), 1 x 14 kg in luggage compartment (center) and full fuel tank....
I wonder if a Conrad tire store in Cleveland would really use all that weight info to set toe-in, assuming that is what they had in mind.
It would only be applicable to setting camber, which would be beyond Conrad. Unless the owner brought in a set of costly eccentric bolts for the front and spacers for the rear.
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...7&autoModClar=
Old 04-28-2013, 10:53 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2.8 View Post
... Tell them you'll sit in it for them, no better yet find a different shop...
First he should ask them why new tires need the toe-in adjusted. And then ask them why weight matters to toe-in. And if they think camber needs adjusting, ask how they propose to do it. And if the required weight is 2 x 68 kg, one person in one seat will cause a misalignment, if one believes that weight really matters. A camber adjustment would then take three people -- one in each seat and one under the car. Sounds like a changing the light bulb joke ;-)

Last edited by vintage42; 04-28-2013 at 11:09 AM.