Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster
New guy with a garage find, 2000 M Roadster

First post.
I am the proud new owner of a 2000 M Roadster with get ready, 4,300 miles. That is not a typo, 4300 original miles. This belonged to a business friend of mine. He bought it new from the hometown dealer, I remember when he did this. It was a strictly a toy to play with occasionally.
For whatever his reasons were, he parked it in his office garage about 6 years ago and never touched it since. I ran into him a couple months ago and remembered the car. I asked him about it and he said he had not thought about it for a long time. I told him I would like to buy it as the economy downturn in 2008 forced me to sell my fun car, a Porsche 911, and I missed having a sports car. He gave me the keys and a garage door opener and said to go look and mess with it and make an offer.

There it was parked, top down, flat tires, covered in dust and spider webs.
Estoril Blue, blue and black interior. I brought along a new battery and installed it. Every thing worked, engine cranked like crazy, but it wouldn't start. Tried a little starting spray and it would burn it and stop. Added fuel restore fluid, No fuel delivery. The rear window was cloudy and cracked from being folded all those years but the top was otherwise perfect.
I inspected it the best I could, no mouse damage, a tear in the driver seat bolster, a couple odd dents in the hood. The owner for some reason had a stupid after market radio installed with a DVD changer, fold out screen, GPS etc. Fortunately the original radio head was in the garage.

I talked with the owner of a well respected BMW/Mercedes repair shop, and got an idea of what to expect. I emailed the owner and told him the amount of work involved to put this car right and a guess at how much it would cost. He said just make an offer, so I offered $2,000 cash and I would have it towed away, He accepted and I now have the best deal I ever had at home.

I will report on the repair process in a following message. Meanwhile some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3303.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	373495   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3304.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	373496   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3305.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	373497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3306.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	373498  
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, 540i,Silverado
WoW!!!!

Incredible....Awesome deal!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
I hate you.

I have been looking for a fixer-upper for years but your deal is just amazing.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:20 AM
BE IRIE

Mein Auto: 1996 Z3 1.9L M44
OMG, you scored!!

1996 Z3 (M44)
Old 04-28-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 98 MZ3
Wow!! Amazing deal and, of course, perfect color combination.
Dadmog (1998 M Roadster Estoril Blue; Blue top, blue/black interior)
Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5
Great find. So why wouldn't it start? I assume at the minimum you'd have had to empty the tank and purge the fuel system.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:10 PM

More pics,
1st is the original radio back in. It really looked odd having a Pioneer with a big screen sticking up. I left the 5 channel Alpine amp and crossovers from the aftermarket install. The speakers and Tweets are Focal and a JBL sub. I installed an iPod kit that plugged into the CD changer control on the head unit. Works Great
2nd is a OEM boot I bought off eBay
3rd the new factory window installed. Anyone know how to protect it from scratching when the top is down?
4th is a picture of the repaired driver bottom bolster. It had a 5 inch tear on the left side.I found a guy who removed the leather from the bolster, dyed a new piece of leather and sewed it back together. It is an amazing repair and stitching and color are perfect. It's amazing what some people can do.

Work so far.
All fluids flushed and replaced with new OEM and filters.
Fuel tank dropped and cleaned, New fuel pump installed
A/C recharged, really cold air now.
New rear window
New Michelins all around
3 of the 4 wheels had curb rash Repaired as new. It's incredible how some people just don't care about stuff like this.
Dent wizard fixed multiple dents in the hood. This is dark magic. The hood is now perfect. He thinks they were caused by a couple teenagers having sex on the hood. It apparently is something he sees a lot of, go figure.
Found a complete set of owner's manuals on eBay new in the leather cover.
I was told that the rearview mirror had developed a bad interior seal and soon the inside fluid might leak out onto the dash. Apparently this is corrosive. I had it rebuilt

I ordered a black Strong Strut

Any thoughts on installing a K&N intake assembly? Worth it or not?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4280040.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	373580   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4280041.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	373581   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4280043.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	373582   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4280044.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	373583  

Last edited by loliver; 04-28-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:56 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by loliver View Post
... 2nd is a OEM boot I bought off eBay... 3rd the new factory window installed. Anyone know how to protect it from scratching when the top is down?...
The semi-rigid OEM boot is supposed to tuck under the edge of the body, not rest on top of it. More secure tucked, too. I only use the OEM boot for special show-type occasions. You might like the soft Travel Boot from Roadster Solutions that stores in a flat vinyl bag in the trunk, for quick on-off use:
http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page18.html
I am about to install a new OEM rear window. Who did yours, and did they have any comments about the process?
To protect the folded window, I got the Rear Window Guard/Protector from Roadster Solutions:
http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page6.html

Last edited by vintage42; 04-28-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:35 PM

I didn't know that about the hard boot fit, thanks
The window protector is what I am looking for. I bought my window from these guys. I had it installed at a auto shop that replaces tops, interiors, etc, the same guy who did the leather repair., He was recommended by the mechanic. It came with everything you need, glue, pull, etc. It took him about an hour. My wife and I were going to do it, but for $75 it seemed a better idea. There are plenty of uTube videos about how to do it though.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:09 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by loliver View Post
I didn't know that about the hard boot fit, thanks
The window protector is what I am looking for. I bought my window from these guys. I had it installed at a auto shop... My wife and I were going to do it, but for $75 it seemed a better idea. There are plenty of uTube videos about how to do it though.
Well, that strap-on window protector works. I have viewed and printed all the window install videos, DIYs and instructions, can do it in my sleep, so we will see how it goes next week.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3
Excellent deal and you are doing the car justice as well, so glad it has found a great owner!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: '03 Z4 2.5i Silver/Black
Question for the experts....
How much was this car really worth when loliver opened the garage door and towed it away?
Just curious....
I mean, Z3M, hardly ever driven, in pretty much perfect condition......lol

Old 04-29-2013, 09:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2003Z4 View Post
How much was this car really worth when loliver opened the garage door and towed it away?
Just curious....
I'd hardly call it perfect with 3 road rashed wheels. However, nice deal if you walked away with it for $2000.00. How much did you have to sink in to get it running and after repairing all the neglect?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:02 AM
Forever Fast

Mein Auto: '06 M Coupe, '08 K12S
Quote:
Just curious....
Wow!! Great work loliver. Must be tempting to flip it. :-)

Not that it's really relevant, but here in Australia that car would be worth an easy 40k as it was. After the fix up closer to 50k (USD and AUD are currently close to parity). But it's rare as hens teeth these days so maybe more to the right buyer. Not that you could sell it here easily since we are right-hand drive, but still....... I'm very jelous that you got so much for so little. More power to ya!
2006 IBlue BMW Z4 MC (OZ spec) - ESS VT2-525 Supercharged, JRZ RS1 suspension (500#F, 600#R) with Vorshlag plates, ST Trophy BBK with CL R6E pads, KKS gated exhaust, TMS sway bars, RE rear camber arms, VT engine mounts, Recaro Pole Position (driver), APR GT wing, Street: Volk G2s and Potenza, Track: Volk TE37SLs and BFG R1s.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: '03 Z4 2.5i Silver/Black
Al, Ron, somebody....I'm anxious to hear what y'all think this cool find could sell for here in the US.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=amancuso;7550983]I'd hardly call it perfect with 3 road rashed wheels. However, nice deal if you walked away with it for $2000.00. How much did you have to sink in to get it running and after repairing all the neglect?[/QUOT

To date, I am at $6450
The fuel pump was DOA and once replaced the car started first key turn. I not only had the fluids changed but all the lines were flushed as well. Luckily the fuel system had not varnished inside the tank and lines. I was lucky I could not start the car at first as the old bad gas couldn't have been good to the engine. All engine specs are good and no fault codes. The hardest thing was getting the radio code. The local dealer wasn't interested in helping out, I found a place on line that was able to provide it for a $50 fee. The tires were hopelessly flat spotted so a new set of Michelin Pilot SS on sale at Costco, were installed.
I need to take it back to the shop and get the airbag light reset from removing the driver's seat to repair the leather.

The next addition is a Strong Strut and the window protector mentioned above.

I was active in the local Porsche club for years, and also the Viper club.
I participated in the club events at Sebring and club autocross, although I am only mediocre
I enjoy it anyway. I plan on doing the same with the M Roadster

For those with cars this age, be aware of a problem with the self dimming mirrors. Mine had an odd oval in the center. After researching this I found that mirrors from a certain vender in this time period have defective seals. The oval shape was a bubble from the bad seal. The fluid inside the mirror which is what dims the mirror is highly corrosive and if it leaks, it will ruin the dash finish. I had the mirror repaired at Radar-Mirror.com. If your mirror looks strange it is worth a look.

Anyway I am extremely fortunate and happy to have a wonderful performance spots car again. It is a joy to drive.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:11 PM
badolboy

Mein Auto: M ROADSTER
bad to the bone

Your gonna love thet car, as i do my 00 m roadster, lots of little things, like i
have a hum. rear wheel bearing ? rotor ? diff. ? Good Luck let us know your
progress.. BB..
Old 04-30-2013, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i, 1998 Z3
Possibly the greatest find I have ever heard of. Congrats and enjoy! I'm sure there are many jealous people here, including me.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Quote:
Just curious....
Perfect condition????? Cracked back window, torn seat, bad tires, bad fuel pump, curb rashed wheels, dented hood. It is very sad the PO didn't at least store the car properly(--- not even with the top up?). I can't believe it all those issues with under 5K on the clock. I hope it doesn't turn into a money pit when you start driving it. I would be worried about anything with a seal which has been sitting in one place for so long.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3
She looks great... Amazing find.. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy..

This is my toy. 1998 (2.8)
Old 04-30-2013, 09:28 PM
WalkTheWalk

Mein Auto: 06 Z4 Coupe
usually not a fan of roadsters, but the more and more I've seen these z3's, I'm becoming a fan....congrats on this...this is the kind of find people dream about getting from some old lady whose husband has it, that just wants to get it out of her garage on the cheap....
Old 04-30-2013, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i 6MT
New guy with a garage find, 2000 M Roadster

Amazing find, even if you have to put $10k into restoration.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-01-2013, 04:49 AM
BMW CCA 1405

[QUOTE=loliver;7553886]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
... I was active in the local Porsche club for years, and also the Viper club. I participated in the club events at Sebring and club autocross... I plan on doing the same with the M Roadster...
An M that is driven like that is going to pull its rear subframe loose. Since you are in SW Florida, the solution is conveniently close:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...80&postcount=2
Old 05-01-2013, 05:16 AM
Ragtopper

Mein Auto: 1995 325 i(c)
Great find enjoy

Don't listen to the haters about what you paid.

The original owner's GF or anybody else could have ragged that car out. You bought it as is where is and had it towed out.
It could just as easily have hade bent valves and oil starved bearings requiring a rebuild.

Oh yea
It's not perfect

Curaçao Blau is clearly the superior color. LOL
Old 05-06-2013, 07:23 PM
same but different

Mein Auto: 135i, Z3 2.8
Wonderful score. I guarantee you everyone who has read this thread is more than a bit envious.