Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
I prefer douche'! With the accent on the e.

Sounds more worldly.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 AM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
BMW drivers are now very diverse. The undisputed d-bag car is now not even a brand but a specific model (and arguably in this color as well):

So true! Although in my area the go to color seems to be the graphite. There is one white one with chrome 20's that I see, but the winner by far is the red one I have seen with the stock wheels painted red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
I prefer douche'! With the accent on the e.

Sounds more worldly.
I like that.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 02-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 f30 n26
agree on the g37.. and here in nyc, the maxima is a very close second.. every other one the road is blacked out with a ********* behind the wheel
Old 02-27-2013, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 911 C2S
I can't believe I wasted 30 seconds of my life responding to such an idiotic thread.
2009 550i Msport (retired)
2007 E63 AMG (retired)
2005 750i (retired)
2006 Porsche Boxster S (retired)
2003 C32 AMG (retired)
2002 745i (retired, mistake)
1998 Toyota Camry (retired)
1997 Honda Civic
1995 Acura Integra
1991 GMC Safari
1986 Mazda 626
1982 Schwinn bicycle
Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurom View Post
I can't believe I wasted 30 seconds of my life responding to such an idiotic thread.
LOL. For future consideration?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
"What car do you drive?"

BMW Owner - "Yeah, it's a 2011 ZSP 6MT in SilberGrau over black, OEM wheels with 6mm tread left."

Lexus Owner - "The white one".
nice one.this thread alone answers quite a few questions.just wondering how many times I'll have my car keyed lol haters goin hater lol

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
Old 02-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Old 03-02-2013, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr29 View Post
Are BMW owners generally douche bags? as i prepare to purchase one I'm asking myself this question am I one? since most BMW owners are viewed as ***holes jerks or douche bags also what behavior should i prepare for from others.
As the BMW E46 has became quite reliable and cheap as well has having a large enthusiast and aftermarket community, it has grabbed a niche of teenagers and young males who are "..." by nature many times.

I bet 99% of such cases in what you describe are E46's. 5, 7, and X series are a different story though.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:36 PM
retiredat44

Lightbulb

I have got to say, when in Germany for 3 years, the cars were the same thing here are there,, instead of jumping in a chevy, you jumped in a foreign version of a chevy, or ford,, or vw,, and if you needed a part you could buy new, or hit the junk yard, it didn't matter.. and cars were relatively cheap there... it's just when they ship them here, they raise the price, make some changes for us laws ,and then whoever buys them, considers themselves enlightened.. otherwise it's just another car, across the pond... it's the state of mind for whoever is driving... doesn't matter which brand or type of car. same with motorcycles,,, some people just have some need to bond with someone like them...

If I jump out of my old Toyota and into my BMW, some people don't say the stupid things they say to me when am in the BMW, that they say when I am in the old 1989 Corolla with 400,000 miles. I don't expect people to be mind readers, but I don't like complete stupidness and rudeness either. People make judgements of people just because what they drive.

Take me for instance, I don't like to socialize, mostly because I am very sick, in pain, on heavy meds, had a hard life, and just don't feel well enough to go around partying. I still enjoy a good chat. I just need to go and get whatever business done. And go home and rest. That's all I can do before I collapse. To you I will look disinterested and if in a long line impatient, and not happy. But., you have no idea I am sick, on meds, and just trying to buy something, and get the hell out and go home. If I do that and jump in the BMW, I am an a-hole, if I do that, jump in the old beater with 400,000 miles on it, I am a person with no money, stupid, etc...

But, yes, there are some real D-Bags running around, giving people who resemble D-Bags a bad name.

Disabled Veteran:
Old 03-05-2013, 05:38 PM
retiredat44

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurom View Post
what he said

Disabled Veteran:
Old 03-05-2013, 07:53 PM

good replies here just wondered cuz generally bmw drivers get a bum rap so just making sure im ready for the hostility
Old 03-06-2013, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: e36 328i e46 m3
It is all in the eye of the beholder, I find benz, bmws, lexus is350s, g35/7s, who drive very douchy on my daily trips, but even people in janky cars drive like douches
Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr29 View Post
good replies here just wondered cuz generally bmw drivers get a bum rap so just making sure im ready for the hostility
When my car was stock, I never had much hostility towards me. My biggest thing was people always asking for money at the gas stations. Some people did give me nasty looks every once in a while, but I never let it get to me. It may be because I am young and am always in work clothes aka looking like a bum. Not sure
Old 03-08-2013, 02:21 PM
retiredat44

Lightbulb

what really annoys me badly is tailgating dooshes who have never been on the autobahn, and feel they must pretend while on the road here.. in California, they pretend they automatically own the road, play flash beemer lights, and feel that will automatically make them impervious and not bound to the same rules and laws and the peons (everyone else).

Well guess what !.. you are not on the autobahn, and there are speed limits on the autobahn when traveling though most large cities. Plus, Germans are courteous when they drive they use turn signals, something some morons here don't do. (I had the privilege of living there 3 short years, even though 1/2 of my family came from there, a few Generations back).

I can't take my body for granted, I am always living on the edge of my last breath (terminally ill),, and if you have the decency, you will let others live and breath... and think about your actions can destroy lives of innocents.

This autobahn mentality is not just to dooshes in BMW,s but anyone who thinks they are the worlds gift to driving faster than anyone else and flashing their lights and doing 100 in a 70 mph zone. if you do it, do it when no one else is around you.

To those that use turn signals and don't make other miserable with crazy driving, a Big Thank you!

Just sayin..

Disabled Veteran:
Old 03-08-2013, 03:30 PM
The UltimatE46 Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredat44 View Post
what really annoys me badly is tailgating dooshes who have never been on the autobahn, and feel they must pretend while on the road here.. in California, they pretend they automatically own the road, play flash beemer lights, and feel that will automatically make them impervious and not bound to the same rules and laws and the peons (everyone else).

Well guess what !.. you are not on the autobahn, and there are speed limits on the autobahn when traveling though most large cities. Plus, Germans are courteous when they drive they use turn signals, something some morons here don't do. (I had the privilege of living there 3 short years, even though 1/2 of my family came from there, a few Generations back).

I can't take my body for granted, I am always living on the edge of my last breath (terminally ill),, and if you have the decency, you will let others live and breath... and think about your actions can destroy lives of innocents.

This autobahn mentality is not just to dooshes in BMW,s but anyone who thinks they are the worlds gift to driving faster than anyone else and flashing their lights and doing 100 in a 70 mph zone. if you do it, do it when no one else is around you.

To those that use turn signals and don't make other miserable with crazy driving, a Big Thank you!

Just sayin..
I speed, but always keep left. And also signal ahead of time, not while already making the turn like most idiots.

Yes it's still not as safe to speed in general, but CHP agrees with my "safer" method. I was pulled over (for speeding) but got off with a warning and just a slap on the wrist - a fix it ticket for no front plate. Officer then told me it was me signaling that caught his eye; said it in a way to imply not to do it next time if I chose to speed.

Only for emergencies. Late for a doctor's appointment that day, or for work/midterms/classes/etc.

Accidents aren't caused by speeders, as indicated by the existence of the autobahn. It's because of idiots who make abrupt turns into (usually faster) traffic without signaling into the path of faster traffic. That and people who don't pay attention and brake abruptly, causing a chain reaction behind them.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
douche bags are usually kids. I've never seen a kid owner in a BMW service center. Maybe they go to independents.
no, the just drive mommy and daddy's car, so they don't take care of the maintenance
Old 03-09-2013, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i 6 Speed
I don't think that should connected to the BMW but the price in the automobile. Price seperates class which is generally were people don't see eye to eye. I have 2001 540i and I'm the coolest guy alive. My boss has a 2013 528 and he's a creep.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App
Old 04-27-2013, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: 04/1997 528i Auto,
I drive a 97 528i... I don't think I'm a dbag. I drive a forklift for 8 to 10 hours a day and I wanted to buy something that didn't feel like a forklift when I got off work. I have always been deeply in love with the E46 M3 and some day maybe I'll get one. But for now my e39 is doing just fine.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:00 AM

Mein Auto: 07 328i 97 Z3
Funny you should say that...
The odd reactions are from friends and relatives who have never driven a BMW. They'll get over it. Life is too short.
I am finding BMW owners to be decent people who like to talk cars.

FWIW my husband found gum stuck under the door handle of our CRV once. Oh well. I had a bunch of kids damage my Plymouth mini van once as I was sitting in it. People are weird.

Enjoy the BMW, it will put a smile on your face.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: E66 Alpine White
I get called asshole; other drivers flipping the bird at me while driving, through their sunroof. NYC Bike riders...fuggetaboudit
Old 04-29-2013, 02:40 PM
Mr. Innocent

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
I became a huge douche when I tuned the car. It's hard not to screw with people when your car will outrun AND out-maneuver theirs, and then there's the realization that if you have to stop quickly, you can. So if driving the car the way it's meant to be driven makes me a douche, then yes, I'm a big, BMW driving douche.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Bond Girl

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328i
I've come to find that douche drivers come in all shapes and sizes, and drive all makes and models of every brand across the board. A driver who challenges me to a stop light drag race showdown does not discriminate just because I'm in a BMW - okay, maybe that could have something to do with it - but the point is, I've encountered rude A-hole drivers everywhere, from all walks of life, who don't signal or who cut me off. Whether or not they want to believe I'm a snobby BMW elitist is their problem, not mine... I'll just continue to drive defensively and be courteous to those who are courteous to me.

I think the greatest trade off for other drivers thinking that I'm a douche because I'm behind the wheel of a BMW is knowing without question that I have the best looking car on the road.

"Just the thing for unwinding after a rough day at the office."
BMW CCA Member 473595

2009 E90 Alpine White | Saddle Brown | Sport | Premium | Comfort Access | iDrive | Steptronic | Super Fantastic | Bavarian Beast

Old 05-01-2013, 12:25 AM

Re: Are BMW owners generally douche bags?

this has turned into a great thread.so far ive had good and bad expriences

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-01-2013, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 07 328i 97 Z3
It occurs to me that I am so lucky to live in the Midwest, in an area where the locals drive everything from Corvettes to King Ranch Trucks. Yesterday I saw 7 Vettes, maybe 15 BMWs and countless trucks, as well as the usual Fords, Chevys, etc. No one is rich, they just do what it takes to keep and maintain a nice car. Mind you, some are very old nice cars, and very few are new.

And if someone seems jerky to me, I just drive away...quickly. because I can.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 x1 28i
I have a couple questions. When my X1 finally arrives in a couple weeks, will i automatically become a douche bag or is there some BMW sponsored training? Are there levels of douche baggery like apprentice douche and journeyman douche? Will it hurt?