Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
2007 3.0si hard to start

Just got a used 2007 3.0si with automatic and every morning it appears to be relatively hard to start, it seems to turn over about 6 times before it starts. After the first start it runs and starts great all day. It doesn't matter what the temp is as the same thing happens from 30F to 60F. It almost appears as if there is a delay with the fuel pump starting up or there is no gas pressure maintained in the fuel line, I know in my old 2003 Taurus and my wifes 2 Odyssey's, an 03 and 12, that when the key is put in position #2 and the dash lights up then the fuel pump already starts to prime the system, this doesn't appear to happen with the X3 as I can't hear the fuel pump when trying this. If I crank it over 2 times and then stop return the key back to the 0 position and then start again it fires right up. Is this delay in starting normal for an X3? I'm still under the CPO until July so I am going to try taking it in within the next week or 2, I'm just trying to get a feel for what it may be.
Ads by Google
Old 04-28-2013, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: X3
2007 3.0si hard to start

It sounds like your battery is staring to show its age and is nearing the end of its life.

Not to sound like a service advisor, but in a previous post you said the x had 66k miles. That's around 11k miles a year, which to me is a tad on the low side (roughly 30 miles a day). Lets assume they had a 15 mile 5 minute commute to work, that battery never got much chance to be charged. It might have had a hard 6 year life

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by x3brian; 04-28-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrdad View Post
Just got a used 2007 3.0si ........ it seems to turn over about 6 times before it starts. ..... I can't hear the fuel pump when trying this ..... If I crank it over 2 times and then stop return the key back to the 0 position and then start again it fires right up.
Some owners experience this on occasion - best to not turn the key in one swift movement.

Slight pause seems to keep it happy.

Might be fuel pressure still building up, or it might be something else such as the immobilizer system that needs time to complete its handshaking.

That's why it always starts right away on the 2nd. attempt as you have found.

The fuel pump is difficult to hear - more of a hiss than a ticking like some other cars.

You should be able to get away without using the delay technique most of the time,
so if it is persistent then suspect the battery or injectors, etc.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
It sounds like your battery is staring to show its age and is nearing the end of its life.

Not to sound like a service advisor, but in a previous post you said the x had 66k miles. That's around 11k miles a year, which to me is a tad on the low side (roughly 30 miles a day). Lets assume they had a 15 mile 5 minute commute to work, that battery never got much chance to be charged. It might have had a hard 6 year life

Yeah I was thinking that exact same thing. The other day while driving home I stopped at an Autozone and had them check it with a load tester and they said it was at 80%, which they deemed OK. Now this is after driving it for about 20 minutes so I'm not sure how this correlates with the reading. Since I have the CPO is a new battery covered under this?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: X3
2007 3.0si hard to start

I do not believe do. I seem to remember the battery only being covered under the 4 year bumper to bumper.

If you go to bmwusa.com you can get a PDF of what the CPO warranty covers

Old 04-29-2013, 08:33 AM

I'm dropping it off tonight for service tomorrow I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I'm also have them looking at the valves, after driving in stop and go traffic the things idles like its going to shake apart.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
My 2007 was hesitating on start and I replaced the battery and it's great now. You should replace a battery every 5 years or so, or it starts to take a toll on the alternator and starting system.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:50 AM

SA feedback and possible solution

I'm still under the CPO warranty and on the first time first time I dropped it off for this hard to start problem first thing on a cold morning I got the standard dealer response of "we cannot repeat the problem". What I have learned with the CPO warranty is that if they can't see, feel or hear the problem they will not perform any tests that take time and money to find it.

So just this week I dropped it off again for the problem and I told them I'll pay for a fuel system pressure check, then if they find anything it's on the CPO warranty to pay for it. Guess what, I just got a call that there was a severe pressure drop in the fuel system after sitting for 8+ hours and they are replacing the fuel pump and pressure regulator. Most likely I'll never know if the long crank problem at start up is really fixed until it get cold again in the fall, but at least now they are actually investigating and recognizing that there is a problem.

I'm surprised no one has ever had such a hard time with BMW service and has made a suggestion guide for how to work with BMW concerning problems and how to prod them to actually find them.