Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2-13 328i
Rear fog light

I have a new 2013 328i M Sport and understand that there are no front fog lighs and I can live with that but wonder why there isn't the rear fog light/lamp. All my MB's, Porsche's, Audi's have had a rear fog but not the BMW - why is that?

Can it be added into the rear lamp cluster?
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
Not mandated in the US?

I hate running into cars with rear fog lights. Some drivers don't seem to know their are supposed to be used only under extreme conditions. They are very bright so it is a pain to be driving behind a car that has them permantly on. I think it might make the brake lights coming on less noticeable.

In the US-spec F30, I don't believe we even have the switch to engage them. So you would first need to add that. I don't know if the wiring is there anyways,

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 03-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive
On the E90, the rear fog light is already installed. You just need to shave off a couple of little tabs from the underside of what would be the switch. I believe there is a post in that forum about it. I wonder if the F30 is the same.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
BMW owners are already considered jerks, we don't need another thing to piss off other drivers with. I've never seen anyone in the US using their rear fogs correctly.

Tim
Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
bmw owners are already considered jerks, we don't need another thing to piss off other drivers with. I've never seen anyone in the us using their rear fogs correctly.

Tim
+1

also 2012 Odyssey.

BMW CCA Member
Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive
I only use that light if it is snowing fairly heavily, raining very heavily or dense fog. I understand how you would know if someone is using the rear fog light improperly. How would you know if someone was using it properly (ie if the conditions don't dictate its use and you see a BMW, how do you know they correctly don't have the light on or just don't have the light to begin with)?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplev View Post
How would you know if someone was using it properly (ie if the conditions don't dictate its use and you see a BMW, how do you know they correctly don't have the light on or just don't have the light to begin with)?
CA law states rear fog lights are to be used only when visibility is less than 500 feet. Most MBZ and Audi owners apparently either have poor eye sight or have no clue about distances.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24602.htm
Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: '13 f30 n26
i'll take people misusing the rear fog light over idiots who have broken tail lights / broken 3rd brake light..
Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
BMW owners are already considered jerks, we don't need another thing to piss off other drivers with. I've never seen anyone in the US using their rear fogs correctly.
A month or two ago I saw the other guy (besides you and I ): A Mercedes-Benz tooling up a 40-mile stretch of Interstate, moving in and out of dense fog and misty conditions. We were both turning the rear fogs on and off quite a bit.

Everyone else I can recall noticing seems to set and forget.

N47░ 35' 30.13" E11░ 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport line
Mistaking rear fogs for brake lights is not an issue if they are implemented on only one side, like my Audi A4 did.

I always appreciated the rear fog and used it when I needed it. I am just now finding out my soon to arrive BMW will not have one.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Because it's really annoying when people turn them on when there is no fog. Ran into a C300 that had it on tonight. It was annoying as hell driving behind him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Donkeybike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Because it's really annoying when people turn them on when there is no fog. Ran into a C300 that had it on tonight. It was annoying as hell driving behind him.
Reciprocate, use your highbeams.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Re-Badged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
Reciprocate, use your highbeams.
His damn mirrors dimmed.
Quote:
Old 04-27-2013, 04:10 AM

Quote:
What is it about them that annoys you so much? They are not bright enough to dazzle you like high beam headlights. It seems the only problem they present is that you think their brakes are on. If they are on only one side that is less likely. They also typically switch off when the headlights are turned off and they have to be consciously switched back on to use them again.

When I see people driving around with rear fogs on unneccessarily, I just think they are silly or stupid, but it doesn't blind me, nor do I feel the need the flash them.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:

Tim
Key word is "correctly". They are very usefull in heavy rain storms
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 04-27-2013, 06:08 AM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryn View Post
What is it about them that annoys you so much? They are not bright enough to dazzle you like high beam headlights. It seems the only problem they present is that you think their brakes are on. If they are on only one side that is less likely. They also typically switch off when the headlights are turned off and they have to be consciously switched back on to use them again.

When I see people driving around with rear fogs on unneccessarily, I just think they are silly or stupid, but it doesn't blind me, nor do I feel the need the flash them.
Maybe my eyes are more sensitive than yours, but driving on a clear night, maybe a bit tired, I do find it 'painful' driving behind a car who turned the rear fogs.

also 2012 Odyssey.

BMW CCA Member
Old 04-27-2013, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplev View Post
On the E90, the rear fog light is already installed. You just need to shave off a couple of little tabs from the underside of what would be the switch. I believe there is a post in that forum about it. I wonder if the F30 is the same.
On my E90, I replaced the headlight switch with a European specification switch. That enabled the rear foglights. It is plug-and-play. All bulbs and wiring are already in place.

It is my understanding that on the F30, the rear foglights can also be enabled by replacing the headlight switch. But with one exception. The rear foglights must then be enabled by coding in the electronic control module. Again, all bulbs and wiring are already in place.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
I read a tutorial and enabled them in my car. Took a nickel, a pen cap, some super glue and about an hour of my time. The only time I turn them on is in dense fog or rain or if someone is tail gaiting me. I'd heard that they don't trust US drivers with them.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Re-Badged

Quote:

They dazzle me because to my eyes, they are as bright as the high beams. My eyes start to hurt. When the conditions are clear, there is no need to have them on.
Quote:
Old 04-28-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
They dazzle me because to my eyes, they are as bright as the high beams. My eyes start to hurt. When the conditions are clear, there is no need to have them on.
No Argument that they should only be used in the right conditions. The question is do you take something away from everyone because some people are too stupid to use it properly.

I'd prefer it if they just ticketed people for driving with them when it was clear.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
Quote:
No Argument that they should only be used in the right conditions. The question is do you take something away from everyone because some people are too stupid to use it properly.

I'd prefer it if they just ticketed people for driving with them when it was clear.
That seems to be what our government is good at. Punish everyone to save society, not just the bad people. Ok, but I digress. This isn't the political forum.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
BMW's rear fog lights are disabled on US vehicles because they are symmetrical and physically too close to the brake lights--the DOT believes they can be too easily mistaken for brake lights. Many other European cars are OK because they illuminate only one side or exceed the minimum separation between fogs and tail lamps (whatever that may be). I suppose the reasoning is that some halfwit driving with rear fog lights on in clear weather may cause some inattentive halfwit following behind to fail to stop in time because the real brake lights somehow went unnoticed. If there's one thing the government loves to do by regulation, it's protect halfwits from themselves...so there you are.

One minor drawback of the rear fog lights: Whillle they are on, the dynamic brake force lights are inactive because that is another function of the same lamps. So if you really stand on the brakes, following traffic no longer gets the STOPSTOPSTOP NOW! warning of that additional pair of lights.

N47░ 35' 30.13" E11░ 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 04-29-2013, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Quote:

Tim
Then you've never driven behind me in heavy rain, snow or fog. Yes, I'm an enthusiast, and probably one of a very few people who know what they are and how to correctly use them.

I had to retrofit my Passat with the capability of the rear fog by replacing the light switch with a Euro-spec version, running a wire from that switch to the tail light, and doing some minor modifications to the wiring on the tail light. My Passat has 4 red brake lights. 1 of them on the driver side is what is used as the rear fog.

Quote:

People who have no clue how to correctly use the features of their cars turn on all the lights (headlights, front fogs, and rear fogs) because they think having lights on the car is cool. I'll usually see Audis driving down the highway on a bright, sunny day with the rear fogs on. It's confusing to most people because they can be mistaken for brake lights. And like following a brake-rider, you have more risk of rear-ending them because you may fail to react to real braking/brake lights. Plus, on a dark highway, that high-intensity fog/brake bulb does dazzle your eyes.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 04-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
My own rule is that whatever car I drive has to meet ECE lighting specs. This includes amber turn signals, side repeaters, and rear foglights. My X3 meets those requirements (and doesn't meet FMVSS anymore). I went thru the trouble of installing wiring, switch, and tapping a power source, yet don't use rear foglights frequently. however I live in the mountains where fog is somewhat pervasive so I use them when appropriate, when forward visiblility falls below 100m.

For future car purchases, if I can't readily convert it "back" to ECE lighting specs, I won't buy the car, period. Pretty simple.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Donkeybike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss View Post
On my E90, I replaced the headlight switch with a European specification switch. That enabled the rear foglights. It is plug-and-play. All bulbs and wiring are already in place.

It is my understanding that on the F30, the rear foglights can also be enabled by replacing the headlight switch. But with one exception. The rear foglights must then be enabled by coding in the electronic control module. Again, all bulbs and wiring are already in place.

In what module is the coding for the rear foglights located on the F30?