Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-29-2013, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 Honda CR-V
Just drove a BMW for the first time ...

So, furlough week off ... sounds like a good time to test drive a car, right? Am pondering a CPO 328i, a 2013 Honda Accord and a 2013 Altima. I know, this is total apples and oranges. Which one doesn't belong?

But, given I don't want to spend more than $31,000 ... here is where I am.

Anyway, was not shocked at how great the BMW drove. Salesperson let me take it to 90 mph and took me to a slight S curve to show handling. In all, very impressed. As for Honda vs. Nissan? My wife and I have had four Hondas. No real discernible difference between the Honda and Nissan outside of the fact the Accord is just butt-ugly.

Anyway, back to the BMW. Anything I should look for, hear for, feel for on the test drive. Everything seemed great. No white smoke when I stood behind and had him start the engine. It's got 29,000, premium package and clean carfax. Asking $31,500 ... But, I'm going to look around.

With Carfax, it's what's reported. So really, you don't know. I asked him if he knew if the car had been "tracked" ... He said no, and added that people really don't track 328is ... Anything else I should look for and ask?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Jersey Born 'nd Raised

Mein Auto: 2011 328i X-Drive
What year is the car? You should get a PPI and all of the service records on the vehicle. You can never be too sure with carfax.

2011 328xi Sedan --- Titanium Silver (Ext.) Black (Int.) --- Fully Loaded
Old 04-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
328i are (generally speaking) very good as far as reliability goes. I do think (without knowing a model year) that the price asked is a bit high (or way too high if it is not CPO).

One thing about tracking the car. I do it (go on a racetrack with a car in signature picture) and I will tell you that I would buy tracked car from an enthusiast owner a lot sooner than non tracked car driven by a housewife or 16 years old as their first car. The reason is that I suspect the enthusiast owner took a very good care of it when maintenance needs are concerned. BMWs can (and will) take a LOT of abuse. The difference from other brands is that BMWs don't think of it as abuse nor do their owners - they both think of it as a "lot of fun"

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 04-29-2013, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Sedan
Could you provide more details on the car? $31,500 seems slightly high, as other posts stated.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
Well, what is important to you? You are comparing a sports sedan to two sedans made for mass consumption both of which are FWD, larger, better mpg, less nimble, and have CVT transmissions.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:25 PM

@Unrealli ... You're right. And that's what I'm deciding ... What's important to me right now. As I said, when you throw the Beemer in the mix, it's apples and oranges. Weighing: Great, gorgeous looking car, likely painful negotiation and potentially expensive fixes vs. your basic fully-loaded, solid fun car with what I presume will be a hassle-free purchase. If the Beemer wasn't so fun and solid, it wouldn't be a contest.

As for car itself, light blue 328i, 29,000 on it. Premium package with moonroof, usb for iPod, run flats, four-door, etc. ... The 31,000 (I think ... Since I wasn't buying today, I wasn't paying too close attention) ... I figured I could talk down to 28,000 or 29,000 ... There was the same one (SULEV) next to it for $3,000 less and only 18,850 miles on it ... I asked him why the difference, he said the more expensive one was the CPO vs. non-CPO ... He asked me, I think (he didn't speak great English) ... With the CPO, you'll get a better financing deal or rate, factory maintenance warranty for another 18 months (end of four years) ... Again, I wasn't totally focused because I knew I wasn't buying ...

Anyway, I've never bought a used car, and have never invested $30,000 in a car ... So, going BMW is a little daunting ... But, after driving it, seemingly well worth it ... And also, and I know this ... BMW is a great car, great engine.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Big Matty Wheels

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i, 01 Allroad
If you enjoy driving or want to enjoy driving then get the BMW. There is not much, if anything, to enjoy about a Honda. The point is simple, saves on gas and practical. It sounds like you sort if want to enjoy driving. If you want a CPO then start searching until you find the best deal, offer significantly less than they are asking, and buy it.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Post #2 asks directly and post #4 asks indirectly, what is the year of the car? We can't assess if the price is worth it without this important fact. Maintaining the 328 would be worlds more expensive than the Honda and likely the Nissan. Are you ready to accept this? The prices are similar for this reason. The 328 used is similar in cost to the others as it will eventually cost you to keep it up. With that all understood, the 328 should be alot more fun than the other two to drive. Presuming it is an E90 328, this engine is durable. I recently have come to the understanding that the N52 engine (code for 328 naturally aspirated) is not direct injected. It will do better in the long run in terms of not building up crap in the intake tract as compared to the N54 (335i engine from E9x). Port injection helps keep the intake ports and valves clean.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 04-29-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 PM

Sorry BB_Cuda ... blanking there ... It's a 2011.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i xDrive
2011 328i xdrive coupe here locally listed for $29k with 29k miles, their price seems high
Old 04-29-2013, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blc2000 View Post
Sorry BB_Cuda ... blanking there ... It's a 2011.

As you've acknowledged, I'm sure you can negotiate the BMW's price down a bit. If you don't, walk away and find another one. Plenty of 328s out there. Since you're not desperate, you have leverage.

Also, bear in mind that any 2011 model year BMW (CPO or otherwise) will be covered by warranty (and all maintenance) until 2015, so this might somewhat offset maintenance costs of the Honda and Nissan (assuming they do not include free maintenance), and I'm guessing both only provide 3 year/ 36 K warranties.

Last, you can purchase an extended BMW warranty that will cover you as far out as 2018 if you're concerned about repairs. There's a dealer out your way who is active on this board (think his name is Daniel from Pacific BMW) who is giving seemingly good deals on warranties. FYI, you can buy a BMW extended warranty from any U.S. dealer, and need not be limited to the guy trying to sell you this particular car.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Drive it like u stole it!

Mein Auto: 2013 M3
If you get the CPO car, the warranty is extended to 6 year/ 100k miles.

1997 328i- retired
2007 328i- retired- lease
2006 330xi- retired
2011 335xi-PCD-12/13/10 - DINAN3-----retired
2013 M3-Laguna Seca-6 speed-EDC

2006 X5- retired
2011 X5- retired- buy back

bmw cca#443379
Old 04-29-2013, 09:56 PM
Loving my d

Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
Quote:
@Unrealli ... You're right. And that's what I'm deciding ... What's important to me right now. As I said, when you throw the Beemer in the mix, it's apples and oranges. Weighing: Great, gorgeous looking car, likely painful negotiation and potentially expensive fixes vs. your basic fully-loaded, solid fun car with what I presume will be a hassle-free purchase. If the Beemer wasn't so fun and solid, it wouldn't be a contest.

As for car itself, light blue 328i, 29,000 on it. Premium package with moonroof, usb for iPod, run flats, four-door, etc. ... The 31,000 (I think ... Since I wasn't buying today, I wasn't paying too close attention) ... I figured I could talk down to 28,000 or 29,000 ... There was the same one (SULEV) next to it for $3,000 less and only 18,850 miles on it ... I asked him why the difference, he said the more expensive one was the CPO vs. non-CPO ... He asked me, I think (he didn't speak great English) ... With the CPO, you'll get a better financing deal or rate, factory maintenance warranty for another 18 months (end of four years) ... Again, I wasn't totally focused because I knew I wasn't buying ...

Anyway, I've never bought a used car, and have never invested $30,000 in a car ... So, going BMW is a little daunting ... But, after driving it, seemingly well worth it ... And also, and I know this ... BMW is a great car, great engine.
Fun is right. Totally different driving experience from a Honda or Nissan. Now that you have that, what should you be looking at...

As others have mentioned, the 328s are pretty solid so nothing really catastrophic there. you really should look at the maintenance history. If you buy from a BMW dealer they will have the full history of what was done on each car (at least as far as they can tell) and you should ask for that. Don't just look at it, read it. As you know BMWs are expensive to fix and probably the largest source of issues down the line is poor/improper maintenance. This is one of the reasons that it is free for the first 4yrs 50k mi. A real incentive for people to take care of their leases and to provide some confidence to subsequent buyers thus keeping the lease residuals higher. If there are no maintenance records see if they have receipts (why someone would pay for something that is free is beyond me, but sometimes they do). If incomplete, I'd pass on that one.

Also, look at the in service date and how long the dealer has had the car on their lot. The warranty and maintenance are good for 4 yrs from this date, and similarly an extended warranty (2011s were built as early as mid 2010 so no guarantee on it being covered until 2015). As someone mentioned, A CPO BMW gets you a pretty good inspection (at least 50% on the tires and brakes), and 2 extra years and up to 100k mile extended warranty (plus 0.9% financing for now at least). It doesn't cover everything that the new car warranty does, but it covers a lot. This really should cost the buyer about $1 - $1.5k + the cost of tires if they are needed (brakes are free within the first 4/50). I know it doesn't matter right now to you as you are still looking, but the other non certified car was a better deal than the one you drove. Regardless, you should be able to find a nice 2011 CPO in the high $20k range. a couple k less if it has been on the lot for a while - unpopular color or whatever.

Bottom line, if you go with a used BMW with decent warranty left you should be pretty good, if something is broken it will be covered.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: 89 E30 Cabrio
Quote:
So, furlough week off ... sounds like a good time to test drive a car, right? Am pondering a CPO 328i, a 2013 Honda Accord and a 2013 Altima. I know, this is total apples and oranges. Which one doesn't belong?

But, given I don't want to spend more than $31,000 ... here is where I am.

Anyway, was not shocked at how great the BMW drove. Salesperson let me take it to 90 mph and took me to a slight S curve to show handling. In all, very impressed. As for Honda vs. Nissan? My wife and I have had four Hondas. No real discernible difference between the Honda and Nissan outside of the fact the Accord is just butt-ugly.

Anyway, back to the BMW. Anything I should look for, hear for, feel for on the test drive. Everything seemed great. No white smoke when I stood behind and had him start the engine. It's got 29,000, premium package and clean carfax. Asking $31,500 ... But, I'm going to look around.

With Carfax, it's what's reported. So really, you don't know. I asked him if he knew if the car had been "tracked" ... He said no, and added that people really don't track 328is ... Anything else I should look for and ask?

with 29,000 miles the risk of a blown head gasket/ burn rings, burnt valve stem seals seam very unlikely on a BMW (all these cause smoking typically) you shouldnt have to worry about that till close to 200,000 miles.

At 29K worse on an Inline 6 bmw you dont have a thing to worry about. These cars are built like a Sig sauer. Burry it in the mud for 2 years, dig it up then kill everyone in the room.

Id look for if the warranty is still valid, and get it. Its a BMW
Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i M-Sport
Quote:

Do NOT get a CVT. They suck as driver's cars go and are insanely expensive to replace when they take a dump. And when talking about buying almost any car, "investment" is never the right word.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
If after driving the 2011 BMW the 2013 Honda and the 2013 Nissan you aren't in love with the Bimmer I'd go with the Honda. The older BMW is never going to be as economical and dependable as the Honda (although, based on my experience, I think it could hang with the Nissan on these parameters).

If you are just looking for comfortable, economical and dependable transportation it's damn hard to beat any of the major Japanese brands. I just had a 1996 Toyota Camry totaled while parked in front of our home. It was chugging along at 136,000 miles with only a front brake pad replacement and a bad CV joint/ half shaft between it and perfection ($112 in parts and my labor). It didn't have a spot of rust on her and still had the original exhaust and struts.

This excludes oil changes, tires etc. We are replacing it with a Corolla (for my wife) tomorrow.

I have a 1987 Toyota MR2 that has logged 26 years and 87,000 (admittedly garaged and pampered) miles of intense back road blasting with only brake pads, one caliper, and three mufflers, besides routine maintenance items, since new.

My Bimmer is a used 2006 325i. It conked out ten miles after I bought it. It was only a 30 cent fuel pump fuse but it freaked me out. I have driven it 2,000 miles since then but I can't say I fully trust her yet.

That said, I LOVE THE CAR!

I'm in. I'm going to buy an OBDII cable and software and bond with her. Whatever she needs I'll give it to her.

This is love.

If you don't love the Bimmer...

don't buy it.

If you do...

enjoy! I doubt you'll be sorry.

But buy her for passion, not for practicality.

Last edited by BashedBarrique; 04-30-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:13 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:

I don't want to spend more than $31,000
By many accounts, the new Civic Si has one of the best clutch-shifter setups of any car around. The top of the line Si sedan with navi goes for $23,392 in my zip code.

I wanted/need a manual with 5 doors -- so I'm "stuck" with the E91 at least until my extended warranty expires. The E9x may be the most reliable BMW, but it's still no Honda or Toyota. BMW dealer service has been very attentive. Unfortunately, the car has required way too much of it.

So for $31,000, if I didn't need that 5th door, I might buy an Si and do something else with the $7,608 in change.

(Full disclosure: At the moment we have a couple of Honda trucks, a couple of Honda generators, a Honda lawnmower, Honda tractor and Honda garden tiller, I've had an Acura, and my daughter has a Honda Accord. And we own stock in Honda.)
2008 E91 station wagon 21K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, Dunlop Winter Sports on car.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 04-30-2013, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3star View Post
These cars are built like a Sig sauer. Burry it in the mud for 2 years, dig it up then kill everyone in the room.
This is the best description I've seen yet for the brand.

I'd make sure that the car (if xDrive as well), also has the sport package. The better seats and steering wheel make all the difference. You can tell it has the sport package if the seats have extended thigh support (meaning you can pull out the front of the seat).
Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
What type of transmission does the E9x have? I assume its not CVT?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by twhisten View Post
If you get the CPO car, the warranty is extended to 6 year/ 100k miles.
Keep in mind that the CPO warranty is not as comprehensive as the factory warranty and there is a deductible.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii View Post
Well, what is important to you? You are comparing a sports sedan to two sedans made for mass consumption both of which are FWD, larger, better mpg, less nimble, and have CVT transmissions.
Accords have CVTs now???

Quote:
Originally Posted by drboomer View Post
What type of transmission does the E9x have? I assume its not CVT?
Depends but they do NOT have a CVT (continuously variable transmission). BMWs use either DCT or Steptronic automatics. The Steptronic uses a torque converter and the DCT uses - well as in the name - a dual clutch. I don't know if the 328 has a DCT option though.

Edit: There is also, of course, a manual transmission of which is the superior transmission
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T

Last edited by Last Sight; 04-30-2013 at 08:50 AM. Reason: To stop floydarogers from crying
Old 04-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sight View Post
...Depends but they do NOT have a CVT (continuously variable transmission). BMWs use either DCT or Steptronic automatics. The Steptronic uses a torque converter and the DCT uses - well as in the name - a dual clutch. I don't know if the 328 has a DCT option though.
You have committed sacrilege in not mentioning that BMWs have traditional manual transmissions! (Of course, some Honda models also have them.)
Old 04-30-2013, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
You have committed sacrilege in not mentioning that BMWs have traditional manual transmissions! (Of course, some Honda models also have them.)
I only framed my response in the context of automatics. Trust me, I have a 6MT and would only get a 6MT

I will edit my response to include manual transmisisons And yes, the Accord Coupe has a manual trans - even on the V6 last time I looked.
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
Correction, the Accord V6 has a 6AT. All the 4cyls have CVT or 6MT option.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii View Post
Correction, the Accord V6 has a 6AT. All the 4cyls have CVT or 6MT option.
The new Accord Coupe V6 is definitely available with a 6 speed manual. I just read an article in Auto Week about that exact car.

I also test drove a 2008 Accord Coupe V6 6 speed manual before I bought my 325i. It was quicker than the Bimmer but the suspension and steering were more tuned to comfort and of course it was FWD.

Nice car though.

Last edited by BashedBarrique; 05-01-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: wrong name of magazine