Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Question about ASS Auto start/stop

I guess that is what ASS stands for.

I've read where some hate this and have it coded out/off and others "sort" of like it. After going to Vegas and driving in stop and start traffic, I can see why you wouldn't like it.

However, I have a question for those that actually use it. I'm finding that when it turns off at a light that within 30 sec or 1 min. it turns itself back on even though I have my foot still firmly on the brake.

This doesn't feel/sound like its normal, of course the dealer/tech says "Oh, there are a dozen things that it monitors so if it turns itself back on its normal". I'm thinking "BS"
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328xi
I use it in the morning on the way to work because I usually put it in eco mode and I don't remember it turning back on by itself. There is one really long light that's about 60-90 seconds too.

It's annoying at times so I just turn it off. I got last user mode as well so right before I get to work I turn it off so on the way home I can just let loose.

One annoying thing is that when you flip it into eco mode it automatically turns the ASS on.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post

I've read where some hate this and have it coded out/off and others "sort" of like it. After going to Vegas and driving in stop and start traffic, I can see why you wouldn't like it.

However, I have a question for those that actually use it. I'm finding that when it turns off at a light that within 30 sec or 1 min. it turns itself back on even though I have my foot still firmly on the brake.

This doesn't feel/sound like its normal, of course the dealer/tech says "Oh, there are a dozen things that it monitors so if it turns itself back on its normal". I'm thinking "BS"
It does monitor several things such as battery level and car interior temp for example. I find on a warm day with the AC on, ASS never stays off more than 10-20 seconds before the interior starts to get a little warm and the engine restarts to get the AC going again.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
I think it's normal. Mine does that occasionally, anyway. Monitoring "a dozen things" may be an exaggeration. But it's got to turn itself back on at some point to make sure the engine stays warm and the oil circulated. Otherwise it's like doing cold starts over and over again.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Totally normal. Read about everything you wanted to know about the auto stop start and more here - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=606503
Old 04-28-2013, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:

I noticed this a couple times, but I wasn't sure if it was because I took pressure off of the brake pedal or not.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Modern Line
Quote:
I guess that is what ASS stands for...
And a few other interpretations

Quote:
...However, I have a question for those that actually use it. I'm finding that when it turns off at a light that within 30 sec or 1 min. it turns itself back on even though I have my foot still firmly on the brake.

ASS details on pages 61 to 63 in the Owner's Manual
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASS.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	373802
p62. But I guess you already know that

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaS View Post
...I got last user mode...
Please elaborate; this sounds like a handy option. Is this an optional feature or standard? I cannot seem to get more info from the Owner's Manual.

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Retired: '07 X3 3.0d M-Sport - '04 X3 2.5i Sportpack - '99 328i E46 - '93 325i E36

Last edited by LvdB; 04-29-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvdB View Post
And a few other interpretations

ASS details on pages 61 to 63 in the Owner's Manual
Attachment 373802
p62. But I guess you already know that

Please elaborate; this sounds like a handy option. Is this an optional feature or standard? I cannot seem to get more info from the Owner's Manual.
It's a free software update the dealer can apply that remembers the ASS setting. Without it your ASS will automatically be on next time you start the car by default.

Some dealers will apply it before you take delivery where others won't because they can claim it as warranty work once you have taking delivery. You will have to ask for it as I doubt they will tell you about.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i X-drive
Quote:
It's a free software update the dealer can apply that remembers the ASS setting. Without it your ASS will automatically be on next time you start the car by default.

Some dealers will apply it before you take delivery where others won't because they can claim it as warranty work once you have taking delivery. You will have to ask for it as I doubt they will tell you about.
YUp. Just got mine done today actually.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 PM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
Got ASS update when I had rusty seats replaced and it's relief to not turn ASS off by rote every time I press the start button. Now it's off by default and if I choose to use it, it's optional.

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats

Last edited by Pappy Pipes; 04-29-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sedan
Re: Question about ASS Auto start/stop

Taking mine in tomorrow to have it reprogrammed. It's a great idea, but it is poorly executed.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-30-2013, 01:06 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I would agree that its a good idea on paper, but maybe not so much in execution. Maybe a better idea would be to turn off half the cylinders on the 6 or 2 of the 6. I guess the 4s are out of luck.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:13 AM

If it wasnt so abrupt and harsh it would be okay. One has to wonder how long the starter is going to last using the ASS feature.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Modern Line
Quote:

Thanks MastaS - I'll have ASS updated soon too

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Retired: '07 X3 3.0d M-Sport - '04 X3 2.5i Sportpack - '99 328i E46 - '93 325i E36
Old 05-01-2013, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport
If such an update is out, does that mean any deliveries at Munich Welt, going forward, will already have this feature set to remember the last setting? If not, and if asked, will the Welt staff update the software before taking delivery? Any new car owners who can chime in? - esp the ones who took delivery in the past month..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Bimmer App

2013 335i M-sport xDrive 'Superman Combo'
Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Premium, Technology, Sport auto, Rear-view camera, Park Distance Control, HK
ED: May 28, 2013
Redelivery: Aug 12, 2013
Old 05-01-2013, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 328i RWD SportLine F30
Got my car a week ago, and it's not coded to remember last ASS setting. It wasn't ordered, but it was an incoming dealer inventory item (hadn't even hit the lot)
Old 05-01-2013, 05:50 PM

My dealer said that they want you to put 100 miles on the car before they will reprogram the ASS. They said that they need to get authorization from BMW before the can do the reprogramming.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
I asked my dealer to re-code the A.S.S. before I take delivery of my 328i in the next few days, but they responded that the EPA won't allow them to do it before the car has 2,500 miles on it.

How should I respond politely to the dealer? Ask for documentation? Reference all the people online who have had their cars re-coded?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 Sportline
Quote:
Originally Posted by er3 View Post
I asked my dealer to re-code the A.S.S. before I take delivery of my 328i in the next few days, but they responded that the EPA won't allow them to do it before the car has 2,500 miles on it.

How should I respond politely to the dealer? Ask for documentation? Reference all the people online who have had their cars re-coded?
Maybe another dealer? The DO have to get authorization from BMW though... it seems to take almost a day for them to get the authorization, however.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:18 PM

I asked my dealer 2 weeks prior to delivery and they did the re-encode before I picked the car up.

I'm in Canada so I'm not sure if our policies are different. I have heard others say they need you to sign for the car before they could do the re-encode.