Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 320, 528i
Please Help...Is This Black Sapphire OR Jet Black??

I completely forgot to add a feature to the F30 i've ordered (which has started production). The dealer was nice enough to order another car w/ what I want, however, I'm really second guessing myself with the color.

This is a 1 minute video if you guys can please watch it and tell me what color the first black F30 is and then the second black one. Or are they the same type of black? This will be a great help since I can see them moving in the sun. I really love the way the first one looks.

Thanks!!

Ads by Google
Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Havana 328I
Big call, IMO they could both be either.

I'm not sure anyone could be 100% sure with such a short viewing.

Good luck.

H
Old 04-25-2013, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i

At first glance looked like both were Jet Black.

A second look I think first is Jet Black and second is black sapphire.

Could be wrong, I was try to use sun reflection to determine flatness of color ( jet black looks flat to me ) and really both look flat but second seemed to have a little gleem

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Yoyo Mama

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 335xi BSM

Too hard to tell. If I had to venture a guess they are both jet black.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

F30 2013 335i xDrive BSM :: 8AT :: Sport Line:: Tech Package :: Anthracite :: Heated Seats

E90 2006 325i SG :: steptronic :: xenon :: power/heated seats :: comfort access :: sat prep :: poplar
Mods: Chrome Exhaust Tips

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Retired: 2001 325i
Retired: 2003 TL 3.2
Old 04-26-2013, 03:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sedan
I'm not sure about the video, but I own 2013 F30 in black sapphire. The jet black is a much deeper and darker black in my opinion. The black sapphire metallic paint has a charcoal grey look depending on how light hits it. I love black cars and i dont think you can make a bad choice.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:54 AM

Mein Auto: 335 luxury line
I have sapphire black and my brother has jet black. The sapphire black looks much better IMO - it pops out. In combination with the luxury package it looks very sharp.

Last edited by gooer; 04-26-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
My 535 is sapphire black. The idea is that when you look really close, you see that there are small metallic flakes "floating" in the paint layer. These tend to reflect the light like aluminum foil, causing a more "sparkling" effect. When you step back and look at a larger area, the effect is that the paint is deep and rich. When you wax it well, it looks like you're looking into a deep, dark, pool of liquid.

So I am trading in that car for an F30 M-Sport. What color is the new car? Alpine White. That's right. Sapphire black looks really great, but man, it is hard to care for. The least contact with anything not super soft and smooth (car wash brushes, for example) will cause micro-swirls in the paint, which are immediately obvious because you notice them against that beautiful deep dark background. I decided it was just not worth the trouble anymore, and voted with my wallet for a flatter white that will require a lot less babying.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Well, it's difficult to tell with a so-so quality video, plus everyone's monitors are going to be calibrated differently. As the video starts, you see the tail of a car, then it pans across the side of a Mineral Gray. The next car to pass looks more blue to me, and I'm guessing it's Imperial Blue in the shade instead of one of the blacks. If not Imperial Blue, is Carbon Black available on the F30 in other markets? CB is actually a dark metallic blue.

The next car to pass with the guys waving out the windows is black. But the quality of the video makes it hard to determine if it is the metallic Black Sapphire or the gloss Jet Black. If I were to take a guess, I'm thinking Jet Black, because it just doesn't look "shiny" enough to me to be metallic.

After that, of course, you have Melbourne Red and then either a Mineral White or Glacier Silver. I'm leaning towards GS.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 04-26-2013, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: a car
Actually, the first luxury line F30 looks like its imperial blue. Second one looks like Jet Black. Obviously, I could be wrong.

2013 328i Sedan | ULEV N20 | M Sport Line | Estoril Blue II | Black Dakota Leather | Premium Package |
Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dynamic Handling Package | Lighting Package |
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound | Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles | Anti Theft Alarm |
Port install: BMW M Performance Exhaust |
Old 04-26-2013, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 320, 528i
I think you guys were spot on...I cant believe I mistook a dark blue for black lol. The second does look like jet black, however as someone stated earlier..it can be decieving to look at these things online, so Ill have to go to the dealership and see a side by side comparison. Its embarassing because I already own a 5 in black sapphire. Thanks
Old 04-27-2013, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: E90
Looks like their both Jet black. I just can't seem to like the frontend of the F30.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:41 PM

Mein Auto: Corvette, 740iL, 328i
Can't tell, but I'm pretty sure it's Black!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 13 335i M Sp, 13 SubBRZ
Slightly off topic but I have Sapphire Black and really like it. I find it has more purple and green flakes in it than just grey. The metallic black with just grey looks dull. The Sapphire has a few colors and looks super in the light. It is a few steps more conservative than Audi's gorgeous Panther Black that can look nearly purple in the sun.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: Black F30 N55
Hi - first post here - I found this interesting because I just sold my Jet Black 04 E46 and purchased an F30 N55 on Sunday.

It took me while to decide between Black Sapphire and Jet Black. All other features on the car were the same, except for the paint. After looking at them side by side on a nice sunny So Cal afternoon at the dealer for what seemed to be like an eternity, both my wife and I preferred the Jet Black. The BS just had too much sparkle for my taste, especially on a bright sunny day.