Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 128i (just ordered)
Leap of faith

I just did it. Ordered a 128i yesterday. It will take 8 weeks or so, but I am not in an immediate need of this particular car. LeMans Blue, M Sport Package, moonroof and (reluctantly) automatic. Wife has to drive it, too.... I never thought I would buy one. When it was coming to the US, I was very curious, but got disappointed how "expensive" it was. 5 years later, just when it is going out I have decided to buy one. I am sure this will be one of the last units BWM is going to build and it is somewhat exciting. Will post pics when it gets here.
Ads by Google
Old 04-28-2013, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 128i
Good for you! Congratulations.

I'm about 4 weeks ahead of you and hoping to take delivery around May 15, according to the latest update from my CA at Fields. I ordered my 128i in space gray and with premium instead of sport package. I liked the sport package, especially from the exterior, but half my driving is on the uneven brick streets in central Orlando, and the dips and potholes have done a pretty good number on the front-end of my current car.

Had some initial misgivings about the automatic, like you describe. For me, it was mostly how much it suffered in a head-to-head comparison against the 135's DCT. I haven't driven a manual since I was 17 so that wasn't really an option.

I think it's all in what you're comparing to and what you're looking for. So I went back to Fields a few days later and test-drove only the 128i, so that the comparison was by feel against my '06 Mazda 3s instead. That's a 2.3l four-cylinder with a four-speed automatic. When you go head-to-head with that, the 128i was much better-suited to fun on the winding roads and hills around northwest Orlando. After all, in the '80s my dad drove a '74 2002 my grandfather had given him, the legendary 2002, and he loved that car. It only had a 2-liter 4-cylinder engine. (Of course, it was 600 pounds lighter, 14 inches shorter and 6 inches narrower than my Mazda...)

It's really a shame that BMW is phasing out the N52. I absolutely loved the sound of that engine from the moment I heard it come on. I would've waited to see what the 2 Series looked like, but I'm partial to naturally aspirated engines.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw
Re: Leap of faith

congrats

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-28-2013, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 128i (just ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlenparcel View Post
Good for you! Congratulations.

It's really a shame that BMW is phasing out the N52. I absolutely loved the sound of that engine from the moment I heard it come on. I would've waited to see what the 2 Series looked like, but I'm partial to naturally aspirated engines.
I agree. At the same that makes 128i even more special. If you think about it, 128i is not the only BMW, but probably is the only car you can buy new at this moment with a naturally aspired L6. And it is sure to end soon.

Last edited by TTT; 04-28-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:32 AM
BMW Parts Guy

Mein Auto: e39/e38/austin healey/jag
The 128i is going to be one of those "last of the old guard" cars. Good for you in getting one! Take care of her and post up some pictures in a few months