Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: a car
Asian Language in iDrive

Hi,

I have some Asian (mainly Korean) songs in my USB flash which I have connected to iDrive for music. The song titles which are in Korean are broken up. They are displayed as squares instead of actual characters. Is there a way to display these correctly? A software patch for the iDrive?

I know the 5 series is like the best selling foreign car model in South Korea. Surely, they must be able to view their music correctly over there..

Thanks.

2013 328i Sedan | ULEV N20 | M Sport Line | Estoril Blue II | Black Dakota Leather | Premium Package |
Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dynamic Handling Package | Lighting Package |
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound | Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles | Anti Theft Alarm |
Port install: BMW M Performance Exhaust |
Ads by Google
Old 04-30-2013, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: Corvette, 740iL, 328i
My friend also has the same problems with his English songs displaying in his Korean made Hyundai, playing thru his Korean made Samsung Galaxy S.
Only thing that shows up correctly is the PSYchedelic song in his GanghamBeemer.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
My guess is that the US models don't have the Hangul character set loaded. When they export to Korea, they probably load up the Hangul set, so that's why Korean customers have no issues.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
One thing that's worth trying is to ensure ID3 tags in the files, and filenames on the USB device, are written using the UTF-8 character encoding. The iDrive fonts support Unicode and at least a few accented and non-Latin code blocks (such as Cyrillic, which shows up fine on mine). If the encoding is wrong however you see boxes or mangled names.

It's a bit of a long shot...I agree that the fonts loaded for the US and Europe might not include Hangul characters. However it should be relatively easy to try.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in period. You can guess the rest. BMW CCA
Old 04-30-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
One thing that's worth trying is to ensure ID3 tags in the files, and filenames on the USB device, are written using the UTF-8 character encoding. The iDrive fonts support Unicode and at least a few accented and non-Latin code blocks (such as Cyrillic, which shows up fine on mine). If the encoding is wrong however you see boxes or mangled names.

It's a bit of a long shot...I agree that the fonts loaded for the US and Europe might not include Hangul characters. However it should be relatively easy to try.
Thanks, I checked and they are already encoded correctly.

2013 328i Sedan | ULEV N20 | M Sport Line | Estoril Blue II | Black Dakota Leather | Premium Package |
Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dynamic Handling Package | Lighting Package |
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound | Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles | Anti Theft Alarm |
Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 AM
0-60 2.9

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive M Sport
none of my chinese song names display correctly. chinese do look square-ish, but not actual squares.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:41 AM

I spoke to BMWNA, then a local dealership, then my sales person in California, then a shop foreman who is Korean. He said that Asian countries get a whole different OS installed on their iDrive and none of the US dealerships have it.

The only solution he's found is to connect an iPod Touch 4 (or above) or iPhone 4 (or above) into the iDrive. Go to CD/Multimedia -> Plug in instead of USB. That displays what's exactly in your iPod/Phone screen and you can view your non alphabet song titles correctly on the NAV screen. I think he said you need BMW Assist and Enhanced Bluetooth and USB to do this. The display doesn't transfer into HUD so the titles will still be broken there.

I have yet to try this method and confirm as I just sold my old iPhone 4 on craigslist for $230 last Sunday..

Can someone try to confirm? I will try to get a hold of a used iPod in the mean time.

Thanks.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Contact forum vendor BimmerTech for language option coding details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkapdolee View Post
I spoke to BMWNA, then a local dealership, then my sales person in California, then a shop foreman who is Korean. He said that Asian countries get a whole different OS installed on their iDrive and none of the US dealerships have it.

The only solution he's found is to connect an iPod Touch 4 (or above) or iPhone 4 (or above) into the iDrive. Go to CD/Multimedia -> Plug in instead of USB. That displays what's exactly in your iPod/Phone screen and you can view your non alphabet song titles correctly on the NAV screen. I think he said you need BMW Assist and Enhanced Bluetooth and USB to do this. The display doesn't transfer into HUD so the titles will still be broken there.

I have yet to try this method and confirm as I just sold my old iPhone 4 on craigslist for $230 last Sunday..

Can someone try to confirm? I will try to get a hold of a used iPod in the mean time.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: F30 320D
I think you need your center to add the Korean language OS as mine has English/Korean option.

If I switch to English, all the text menu and the voice menu comes out in British English accent.

If switched to Korean, all text/voice comes out in Korean. So I guess, it's not just fonts but another os completely since the voice for all commands changes respectively.

Here's the portion of the spec gathered from my VIN#

Old 05-01-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remotecontrol View Post
I think you need your center to add the Korean language OS as mine has English/Korean option.

If I switch to English, all the text menu and the voice menu comes out in British English accent.

If switched to Korean, all text/voice comes out in Korean. So I guess, it's not just fonts but another os completely since the voice for all commands changes respectively.

Here's the portion of the spec gathered from my VIN#

Hey Thanks.

Where did you get a Korean language OS? Do you live in Korea? Do you know if I can get it in America?

Old 05-01-2013, 11:12 PM

Mein Auto: F30 320D
Quote:
Hey Thanks.

Where did you get a Korean language OS? Do you live in Korea? Do you know if I can get it in America?
Sorry, can't help. I live in Korea. :P
Old 05-19-2013, 04:58 PM

For anyone wondering, I confirmed that the iPhone 4 + cradle solution works. I can now display Korean song titles correctly on my iDrive screen. The only negative is the lack of split screen functionality.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i Alphine Whi
Where did you purchase the cradle? do you know if it supports iPod or not?
I have a 3GS 16GB and and iPod 80GB, I prefer to use the iPod instead of the iPhone~
Old 05-31-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi View Post
Where did you purchase the cradle? do you know if it supports iPod or not?
I have a 3GS 16GB and and iPod 80GB, I prefer to use the iPod instead of the iPhone~
I got the cradle from someone on Craigslist for $140 and the iPhone 4 from a friend for $100. But I had previously sold my old iPhone 4 for $230 not knowing I would need it later so that worked out pretty well.

There are several different cradles for different device you are trying to connect. Here's the list.

http://www.circlebmwparts.com/partsn...smartphone.htm

I think the oldest apple devices supported are iTouch and iPhone 3G so no iPod classic.

I suggest that you scroll through the list of cradles above and find the one you want. Search on ebay or Craigslist. Make sure it is Media and not Phone or Music. I think Media is the only one that supports the Plugin functionality.

The one you want is probably 84 21 2 218 391.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i Alphine Whi
Thanks alot!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5d 2011 750xi
Quote:
For anyone wondering, I confirmed that the iPhone 4 + cradle solution works. I can now display Korean song titles correctly on my iDrive screen. The only negative is the lack of split screen functionality.
Does this only work with the BMW cradle? And does it also work for the contacts (I have many contacts in Korean on my iPhone) stored on the iPhone?
BTW, I have a 2013 X5 with BMW Apps and the smartphone integration (but no cradle as of yet).
Thanks!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgchoi View Post
1. Does this only work with the BMW cradle?

2. And does it also work for the contacts (I have many contacts in Korean on my iPhone) stored on the iPhone?

BTW, I have a 2013 X5 with BMW Apps and the smartphone integration (but no cradle as of yet).
Thanks!
Hey a lot of my contacts are in Korean too!

1. Yes it does only work with the BMW cradle. When you go to iDrive external devices, the Plugin option can only be used with the cradle and not with the USB. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought one myself.

2. I will check on this later but I don't think it will work nor do I think its a good idea. People on bimmerfest have suggested having a separation between music and phone. That is, carry two separate devices unless you plan to listen to music via bluetooth on your phone (which I've tried btw and noticed significant downgrade in sound quality vs. the usb cable or cradle). If you use your iPhone for both phone and music via cradle, you would have to plug in your iPhone into the cradle every time you enter the car as well as take it out every time to exit. That can be very inconvenient and easily forgettable.

So your options are,
1) Phone: iPhone via cradle (will check if Korean is displayed), Music: iPhone via cradle (Korean is displayed) - this option will be inconvenient as mentioned above.
2) Phone: iPhone#1 via bluetooth (korean not displayed), Music: iPhone#2 via cradle (Korean displayed) - you will need to buy a separate iPhone#2. You can buy one used.
3) Phone: iPhone via bluetooth, Music: iPhone via bluetooth. No Korean on either. Also, you can't scroll through music via iDrive. You can only change to next song or previous song.

Let me know if you have more questions. I'll go check to see if contacts work on cradle.

Lastly, I would like to see if Korean words can correctly be displayed on bimmerfest as I have never seen it here before.

***50504;***45397;***54616;***49464;***50836;?

Edit: hmm... looks like Korean is not displayed correctly on bimmerfest..

Old 06-08-2013, 06:44 AM

Ok I just checked. It looks like option 1) above is not an option. It looks like the only way to connect your phone to your car is via bluetooth and that does not display Korean. You can still plug your iPhone into the cradle but you would need to connect the phone part via bluetooth and keep the music as Plugin.

So yeah.. as far as I know, there is no way to display Korean contacts correctly. It wasn't much of a problem for me as I don't talk on the phone that much while driving.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Ok I just checked. It looks like option 1) above is not an option. It looks like the only way to connect your phone to your car is via bluetooth and that does not display Korean. You can still plug your iPhone into the cradle but you would need to connect the phone part via bluetooth and keep the music as Plugin.

So yeah.. as far as I know, there is no way to display Korean contacts correctly. It wasn't much of a problem for me as I don't talk on the phone that much while driving.
Hey, thanks a bunch! I really appreciate it.
The only concern I still have is that there is a difference between the iDrive on your new 3 series and my 2013 X5 (X5 still uses the most recent CIC iDrive vs. Navi Pro that's on your 3 series) and I'm uncertain if mine will display the language even with the cradle.
The cradle is so darn expensive to just purchase and test out. ;(
But it does work like on your car, it'll be worthwhile getting the cradle.
Any clue?? Thanks again man!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Hey a lot of my contacts are in Korean too!

1. Yes it does only work with the BMW cradle. When you go to iDrive external devices, the Plugin option can only be used with the cradle and not with the USB. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought one myself.

2. I will check on this later but I don't think it will work nor do I think its a good idea. People on bimmerfest have suggested having a separation between music and phone. That is, carry two separate devices unless you plan to listen to music via bluetooth on your phone (which I've tried btw and noticed significant downgrade in sound quality vs. the usb cable or cradle). If you use your iPhone for both phone and music via cradle, you would have to plug in your iPhone into the cradle every time you enter the car as well as take it out every time to exit. That can be very inconvenient and easily forgettable.

So your options are,
1) Phone: iPhone via cradle (will check if Korean is displayed), Music: iPhone via cradle (Korean is displayed) - this option will be inconvenient as mentioned above.
2) Phone: iPhone#1 via bluetooth (korean not displayed), Music: iPhone#2 via cradle (Korean displayed) - you will need to buy a separate iPhone#2. You can buy one used.
3) Phone: iPhone via bluetooth, Music: iPhone via bluetooth. No Korean on either. Also, you can't scroll through music via iDrive. You can only change to next song or previous song.

Let me know if you have more questions. I'll go check to see if contacts work on cradle.

Lastly, I would like to see if Korean words can correctly be displayed on bimmerfest as I have never seen it here before.

***50504;***45397;***54616;***49464;***50836;?

Edit: hmm... looks like Korean is not displayed correctly on bimmerfest..

Can I also trouble you to check if Facebook BMW App shows posts in Korean (messages, etc)?
My apologies if I'm asking you to do too much (I know I am ) and thanks again!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:59 AM

Quote:
The only concern I still have is that there is a difference between the iDrive on your new 3 series and my 2013 X5 (X5 still uses the most recent CIC iDrive vs. Navi Pro that's on your 3 series) and I'm uncertain if mine will display the language even with the cradle.
You're welcome.

I don't know much about the different iDrive systems but I suspect that it will probably work as long as you have BMW Apps and Smart Phone Integration. Actually, you may need the Enhanced Bluetooth and USB option as well (don't know if they have that in X5s). You might want to check with the X5 forum. As far as I know, the Plugin functionality is nothing more than the iDrive mimicking the iPod out display. It will show whatever is in the iPod/iPhone regardless of which language.

I don't know how lenient the return policy is over there in Canada but if its anything like over here, you might want to just try it out at a BMW dealership and return it if it doesn't work. If you ask the parts department, they may know whether the Plugin will work on your car or at least let you try it out to find out for free. Cradle does not require any special installation. You just plug it into your car kinda like a USB drive and you can plug it out whenever you want. It won't damage the parts or anything.

Last edited by kkapdolee; 06-11-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Can I also trouble you to check if Facebook BMW App shows posts in Korean (messages, etc)?
My apologies if I'm asking you to do too much (I know I am ) and thanks again!
I would do this today if I actually had it set up already but I never do facebook in my car let alone send text messages. I have an additional problem that my phone (the one I use for phone calls, not music) is an Android not an iPhone. I'm not sure if the facebook app even works on the car via Android and don't know how to set up. I'll look into it and let you know but a quick search on this forum tells me that it doesn't work yet.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 Sportline
Quote:

I have some songs with japanese language that do not display, so thank you for the information.

@ jgchoi, in the US, the 2013 3 series has the same nav you have in your X5 (the CiC). Internationally, the 3 series switched in Nov 2012 to use the NBT, but in the US all 2013s have the CiC still (so the OP should have the same nav as you, unless he has an Active Hybrid 3).
Old 06-13-2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
I have some songs with japanese language that do not display, so thank you for the information.

@ jgchoi, in the US, the 2013 3 series has the same nav you have in your X5 (the CiC). Internationally, the 3 series switched in Nov 2012 to use the NBT, but in the US all 2013s have the CiC still (so the OP should have the same nav as you, unless he has an Active Hybrid 3).
Thanks for the confirmation. In fact, I just did buy the cradle from another X5 owner on XBimmers. Yikes! Oh wait, I stopped listening to any Korean music couple years ago...
Old 06-13-2013, 02:06 AM

Quote:
I would do this today if I actually had it set up already but I never do facebook in my car let alone send text messages. I have an additional problem that my phone (the one I use for phone calls, not music) is an Android not an iPhone. I'm not sure if the facebook app even works on the car via Android and don't know how to set up. I'll look into it and let you know but a quick search on this forum tells me that it doesn't work yet.
I would imagine it not working for the msgs, FB, etc. Thanks!