Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
With standard or sport (passive) suspension, the driving experience switch (Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport) adjusts:
- throttle response,
- auto transmission shift points
- steering weight/stiffness

If you have the adaptive sport suspension, the same driving experience switch affects suspension stiffness - you do not get an extra switch for the adaptive suspension.
What you do get is ability to configure via iDrive whether Sport applies to Drivetrain only (normal stuff covered by Sport), Chassis only (adaptive suspension), or Both.
I understand and agree with you.

I was addressing BJ's response to captainaudio's question ("Which options improve the steering and brake feel?") which said that DHP corrects both.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:45 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlukja View Post
I understand and agree with you.

I was addressing BJ's response to captainaudio's question ("Which options improve the steering and brake feel?") which said that DHP corrects both.
That was my mistake.

I thought I read "which options improve steering and handling feel" to which my answer was correct. The only thing that improves brake feel are the M-Sport brakes. I find the dust-free standard brakes just fine.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 PM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 10' 328i Cp;12' X5 35d
Stripped Down 328i

I would go for a CPO E90/92. It's some good values out there. And if you had to finance BMWNA may have some good rates. Be patient and buy from a reputable dealer. That's my two cents..

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2010 328i M Sport Package, BMW Performance Exhaust & Short Shift Kit.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickh View Post
OP:
You can negociate a BASE 2013 328i sedan for Invoice price of $33,900, plus $895 Destination Fee for total of $34,795. Minus USAA discount - $1500.
So TT&L may be around $35K.
Gets you a black or white ext w/ 8 speed steptronic auto, 17" wheels, & all the excitement of a BMW 3 Series.

Please, Please call it a BASE 328i, & not a Stripped down or Cheap model.

Never mind the guys on here who says you must spend $50K on a bloated & optioned out 3 Series. If you need a souped up stereo, nav system, or other creature comforts, Your Base model will be a few pounds lighter & may outrun them all (may, but not likely).
You'll definitely comes out way ahead at trade in time, as those who owns the highly optioned out $50K will get hammered on trade in value, as most dealers (& Carmax) won't care that you paid extra for metallic paint, overpriced nav systems, upgraded stereo systems, bigger wheels.

Another option is to do a 36 month lease. If your FICO score is above 675, BMW bank NA will lease you a Base 328i sedan for $349 / month, with $2750 down, or a Base 328i Coupe for $329 / month with $2750 down.
Leasing is not sound financial advice for someone living off their savings. IMO. Plus, would they even pass the credit check in the first place????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
What does this mean? The brakes are no different and the only difference in the steering is the variable rate. I have not driven a DHP F30 but my educated thought is that the ride is better controlled but the steering feel is no better. Maybe the improved body motion control translates to better steering accuracy.
DHP includes Variable Steering. It's definitely different. It's stiffer some times and lighter other times. Unfortunately, there really hasn't been any thorough comparison between steering with DHP and steering without DHP. I personally haven't spent enough time in a car without DHP to really compare and comment on it. And folks without DHP haven't spent enough time driving a car with DHP to comment either.

Last edited by krash; 04-30-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Thanks to everyone who provided the input. They all have been very helpful for my decision making process. It is obvious that everyone has his/her own reasons for buying a BWM. For me, with my limited budget, I will go mainly for BMW's fun driving factor without paying too much for its luxury. That is why I decided to look for a base 328i instead of a fully loaded 320i. I definitely like the idea of adding DHP option. I am not sure about adding PDC, Rearview Cam and Xenon. But I am not convinced at all to add leather seat and/or moonroof. I may remove the alarm from my original plan since it is not that useful.

A few questions: I was told DHP has some issues (steering wheel vibration?). Has it been solved? I am thinking add reaview cam without PDC. In that case will I still can see those color lines and marks on the screen for parking? How about Navigation system option? Why did I hear very few of you ever mentioned it?
(Update: Just found out that the rearview cam option has to come with PDC together. )

I had some email exchange with one of dealers. The initial response was not very encouraging. I was told that I need to have a special order and there is 60-day wait because they can not find one with both DHP and leatherette options in the entire western US... Look like I might give up DHP if I don't want to wait for that long.

Last edited by valley_nomad; 05-05-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:39 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
I can't wade through 5 pages of posts, so apologies in advance if this is redundant.

Either your "investment" in yourself will be a success, or it won't. If it's a success, you will soon want to move up to a BMW with more features. If it's not a success, you may have to move down-market to a VW, Fusion or equivalent. Either way, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A REALLY HARD TIME FINDING A BUYER FOR THE STRIPPED 328.

If you feel you absolutely, positively "must" drive a 328, LEASE ONE for 2 years. That way, you don't take a huge chunk out of your savings. Finding someone to take it off your hands becomes BMWFS' problem, not yours. And if your business goes through the roof before the 2 year lease is up, you can always throw the sucker on Lease Trader or Swap-a-Lease.

Which brings up another alternative. Why not do a lease assumption now? You can drive a nice BMW for 6 months to 3 years, probably with some very nice options you would not have sprung for on a new car, and you have minimal acquisition costs: sign on the dotted line, make the first month's lease payment and you are on your way.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 05-05-2013, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
I disagree that a stripped BMW will have poor resale. In contrast, a manual transmission will have more difficulty to sell. If the car is kept for 130,000 miles, the resale value will be very close, especially if the car is also 13 years old. A 5 year old striped car will have decent resale value.

In Germany, the cars are more basic. Even the tint on the top of the windshield is optional. Cloth seats are standard. They sell a 316i.

Last edited by Dave 20T; 05-05-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i ZSP ZMT
Ten years ago, I had a choice of a new 325i or 330i. I liked the price of the 325i with the sport package and ordered one, no other options, and a five-speed manual. All the new cars on the lot were overloaded with options that I did not want or need. I never felt the car lacked anything. In the next week or two, my 325i, now with 150,000 miles on it, will be my trade-in for a factory-ordered 320i, again with the one option, the sport package, and now with the six speed manual. I've never had a boring mile in my two previous three-series and am sure I will be very happy with the new 320i. It will even be more fun to drive than the 320xi demo car at the dealer, a pretty basic model, but two grand more than my car, and of course a slushbox.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Ten years ago, I had a choice of a new 325i or 330i. I liked the price of the 325i with the sport package and ordered one, no other options, and a five-speed manual. All the new cars on the lot were overloaded with options that I did not want or need. I never felt the car lacked anything. In the next week or two, my 325i, now with 150,000 miles on it, will be my trade-in for a factory-ordered 320i, again with the one option, the sport package, and now with the six speed manual. I've never had a boring mile in my two previous three-series and am sure I will be very happy with the new 320i. It will even be more fun to drive than the 320xi demo car at the dealer, a pretty basic model, but two grand more than my car, and of course a slushbox.
How did you find the power in the 320i?

Are you going to get mixed setup or the square setup.

Check the manual seat controls on the new car...they are different than the E46. For me, I found the location of the control for sliding the seat back and forth a bit bothersome.

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 2K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars
Old 05-06-2013, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by valley_nomad View Post
Thanks to everyone who provided the input. They all have been very helpful for my decision making process. It is obvious that everyone has his/her own reasons for buying a BWM. For me, with my limited budget, I will go mainly for BMW's fun driving factor without paying too much for its luxury. That is why I decided to look for a base 328i instead of a fully loaded 320i. I definitely like the idea of adding DHP option. I am not sure about adding PDC, Rearview Cam and Xenon. But I am not convinced at all to add leather seat and/or moonroof. I may remove the alarm from my original plan since it is not that useful.

A few questions: I was told DHP has some issues (steering wheel vibration?). Has it been solved? I am thinking add reaview cam without PDC. In that case will I still can see those color lines and marks on the screen for parking? How about Navigation system option? Why did I hear very few of you ever mentioned it?
(Update: Just found out that the rearview cam option has to come with PDC together. )

I had some email exchange with one of dealers. The initial response was not very encouraging. I was told that I need to have a special order and there is 60-day wait because they can not find one with both DHP and leatherette options in the entire western US... Look like I might give up DHP if I don't want to wait for that long.
Test drive a 3 without DHP and see if it's good enough. It just might be.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:59 AM

The demo car had just 430 miles on it so I kept the rpm below 4500 during my test drive but the throttle response was excellent. I set the mode to Sport. The steering of course is completely different, with almost zero road feel, but I had a rental car in Europe two years ago with similar steering and I got used to it right away. Most of my driving there was on mountain roads and I enjoy testing tire adhesion often.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 AM

And I got the mixed summer tires since I like to drive the car in a sport manner--and the summer tires mean a higher top speed limit of 145 mph. And, yes, I noticed on the demo car that they have made a slight change in manual seat controls. I should mention that snow where I live is becoming very rare and I leave my car in the garage if there is much snow on the ground. My wife usually has snow tires on her car in winter anyway.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:08 AM
0-60 2.9

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive M Sport
xenon and dhp.

dont worry about the rest.