Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi
iPhone song list

I tried searching for this here and on Google and was unsuccessful.

I have a 2013 335xi with Tech package and do not use the cradle accessory. I plug the phone into the center USB with a white Apple cord.

I am disappointed with the iphone interface in how to navigate to a song. I am sure I must be doing something wrong.

I have all the songs in one playlist (maybe this is one problem).

When I use the search feature to find an artist for example. I choose the artist and then can choose a song. After that song is finished, it doesn't play the next song. It repeats that same song.

I was thinking I would be able to see a list of artists or albums (like it is on the iPhone) and be able to play a song and stay on that list so I could choose another song or play the next song.

I don't know if I am doing something wrong on the iDrive or if I have set up the songs incorrectly in iTunes or both.

I was really looking forward to this feature in my new car because the iPhone integration in my previous car (Lexus) was terrible and I'm disappointed. Please help.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Does this thread help explain the behavior?

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 04-30-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Does this thread help explain the behavior?
It explains the behavior of one of the examples I gave but it doesn't help me with the functionality but thanks for the reply.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 740 Li
iPhone song list

I have a USB plugged in from iTunes and found it does the same thing, even though I have a ton of songs by the same artist, when I searched by artist it just played 1 song... I did find searching by album gave me the whole song list. I would recommend organizing your playlist to how you like it. I bought the thumb drive to avoid paying $150 for an iPod, but now that I don't have "my playlists" it kinda sucks...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)
Old 04-30-2013, 08:25 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadeweber View Post
I tried searching for this here and on Google and was unsuccessful.

I have a 2013 335xi with Tech package and do not use the cradle accessory. I plug the phone into the center USB with a white Apple cord.

I am disappointed with the iphone interface in how to navigate to a song. I am sure I must be doing something wrong.

I have all the songs in one playlist (maybe this is one problem).

When I use the search feature to find an artist for example. I choose the artist and then can choose a song. After that song is finished, it doesn't play the next song. It repeats that same song.

I was thinking I would be able to see a list of artists or albums (like it is on the iPhone) and be able to play a song and stay on that list so I could choose another song or play the next song.

I don't know if I am doing something wrong on the iDrive or if I have set up the songs incorrectly in iTunes or both.

I was really looking forward to this feature in my new car because the iPhone integration in my previous car (Lexus) was terrible and I'm disappointed. Please help.

Thanks in advance.
Your issue is that you are choosing a song.

Use the search feature, navigate to an artist, and then scroll down one click to where it says 'play all'. It will then play all of the songs by that artist in alphabetical order.

Same thing if you navigate to an album. If you navigate to album and then select a song you will not get the result you're looking for. You must select an album and then go one click down to 'play album'. Once you understand this little nuance it becomes very easy to use.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 04-30-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Your issue is that you are choosing a song.

Use the search feature, navigate to an artist, and then scroll down one click to where it says 'play all'. It will then play all of the songs by that artist in alphabetical order.

Same thing if you navigate to an album. If you navigate to album and then select a song you will not get the result you're looking for. You must select an album and then go one click down to 'play album'. Once you understand this little nuance it becomes very easy to use.

BJ
Thanks BJ. I was hoping you would respond. Is there something I should be doing in iTunes to improve the functionality? What about playlists?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:29 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadeweber View Post
Thanks BJ. I was hoping you would respond. Is there something I should be doing in iTunes to improve the functionality? What about playlists?
Yes.

Playlists are like mixed-tapes, allow you to take a group of songs and pull them together for fast access. Try this:

Create a new Playlist called "Best of Classic Rock".
Pick your 10 favorite bands. Doors, Stones, Floyd, Led Zep, etc.
Pick your top 5 songs from each.
Drag those songs into the Playlist you created.

You now have your 50 favorite songs and 3 hours of music in a simple Playlist you can put on random and every song is a must-listen. "Best of New Wave", "Best of the Beatles", etc.

I only listen to Playlists, have 100's of them.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 04-30-2013, 05:26 PM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
You need to make Playlists in iTunes and transfer them to the iP.

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats