Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
New oil guide tube - Dipstick HARD to remove

Hi all,

I have just replaced my dipstick guide tube last night. The old one was the "original" version with two concentric pipes that inevitable clogs after a while. The new guide tube seems to be made out of a single pipe.

I have also bought a new dipstick as on my older one the plastic tips were kind of rotating freely.

So I put the new guide tube in, bolted it and inserted the dipstick. Now right before inserting it completely, it felt like the tip of the dipstick passed over some "rough and bumpy spots" . And when I attempted to take the dipstick out ... it came about 2-3 inches and then it got stuck on something . I gently wrestled with it for a while, turning and pushing and eventually got it out but boy, it was a struggle. Tried with the old dipstick, same thing .

Looking at the dipstick plastic tip afterwards, I could see some very tinny "dents" as a result of my struggle. It looks like it's catching on some metal parts inside the tube, maybe where the CCV return hose/nipple joins the tube.

Has any of you seen/experienced this before with the new guide tube ? Have I got a bad one ? I am worried that at some point the dipstick plastic tip will break apart ending up in the oil pan

Thanks !
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2013, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Reference this thread:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...lating%20valve
Old 05-02-2013, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Jason5driver, THANKS VERY MUCH !! At least I am not the only one having this issue. Still reading that thread but I'm already planning once back home to take the old dipstick and file the square edges to make them rounder. We'll see if that helps.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4te View Post
At least I am not the only one having this issue.
Just in case it helps, don't make the mistake I did of losing the dipstick guide tube lower o ring!
- How to test, clean, & redesign the original BMW dipstick guide tube to prevent CCV vent clogs (1)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Yes, also note that another HUGE problem with draining oil back through the metal oil dipstick tube is, that the metal dipstick tube itself is a POOR insulator...
So, in cold climates, the metal tube absorbs cold faster.
The rubber hose from the CCV still insulates somewhat, but where it meets the metal tubing, not so much, and there is change in temperature there at that connection, thus, condensation is created...
That is why usually when you pull-out the oil dipstick to check the oil, a lot of times you find yellow gunk stuck to the lower side of the oil dipstick...
Reference this quick sketch:
Click image for larger version

Name:	E39 M54 Oil Separator 2a.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	374562

Last edited by Jason5driver; 05-03-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
i miss bimmerfimer
i cray when i read this where the hell this NASA Jedi disapear ???

=====================================

Comrade. When I say something is black, it is black. When I say it's white, it is white. When it comes to cars, they are an extension of how I rule and run my show, my life and who I am; Comrade...Bimmerfiver was born at night, but not last night and when he says something, that thing is as real as rain. You are separated from me by many hundreds of miles, but rest assured, your distance from me is only as far as your eyes from your computer screen. If you were closer, say in my driveway or under my hood...it would not matter nor make a difference. Why? Because what I have said, stated and written here is as valid, as substantial as what you would see with your own eyes in my driveway.

And what have I taken the time to write, here, now, in this thread, three times? For the fourth time, I state clearly: there is a big problem with the new, upgraded dipstick tube as it will not allow the dipstick to be removed (or inserted) within the tube without tremendous force, violent yanking, as the dipstick is literally caught/snagged within the tube.

You do not have to believe me.

I would ask you to understand this. There are many bright people on this Forum. When they speak, they hath spoken and what it is, is what it is. In my circle of life, living, hobbies, work...when I say something, the thing I have taken the time to state is black, white or perhaps I also enjoy great folly, humor and in these cases, I speak with colors.

You are choosing to disbelieve what is fact. You are opting not to believe. Comrade, when you are on the International Space Station and you send an email to Base Command, "NASA, there is a significant problem with the gyro sensor in docking base A, it will not sense rotation, whatsoever and I have tried many attempts to restart the gyro with no success. It's backup system is also in failure mode. Need assistance immediately." Igor, if you report that to me, let me assure you my reply will not be, "Are you sure?" By replying as such I am bringing you back to First Base. You have already been to first base, second base, third base and you are now at home plate with a serious issue. It would be my responsibility as your NASA Base Commander to listen to you, believe you and find a method to advance your issue to successful conclusion...immediately.

In real life, outside this Forum, in my professional work, I can only inform you that great men believe me the first time. I do not ever repeat myself. I do not have to. I look you in the eye and black and white are more than just heard, they are felt. In the W&P section I offer opinion, in the OT section I offer absurdity and in this Forum, I offer experience and fact.

Jason has a struggle with my style and approach. Often an issue with an e39 for me is brought back to first base. He has a midwest approach which consists of roads, paths, streets. In New York we only have highways. You understand Comrades? Here we have someone from Finland, he seems rather sharp. Me? I believe him the first time.

My very simple, mice nuts if you will (as clearly I have a much bigger fish to fry with my torque converter and/or transmission) issue was stated last week. It is my experience and fact today that a new, upgraded Dipstick Tube, purchased from BMW, installed by my own hands, will, just as F5D stated...this new dipstick tube has a serious flaw...and yes, watching your "video" on "how-to remove a dipstick" one time or one thousand times...it will not change this scientific fact.

I told you and I meant it. In 1980 at the Lake Placid Olympics I would have screamed so loudly at the CCCP players I would make their red blood burst from their ears. I was ten years old then and I imagine I could have kicked the crap out of the entire CCCP team. I wanted to be on the ice and pull a Darth Vader on them. I am a Jedi like my father before me. I am very happy today, decades later, this American Yankee Cowboy can befriend a Red Commie Ruskie Bast*rd. My Comrade, we are e39 brothers in arms and what does this mean? More than anything it means if you are on first base, stuck, or third base, frustrated, I must immediately help you home. Sign-up and write your name, believe me and F5D. He is correct. He is an e39 brother (and they play pretty good hockey over there, too). We defeated the CCCP bastids at Lake Plaicd, but the Gold Medal game...it was against the Fins.

To hockey, vodka and e39's:

Last edited by champaign777; 05-03-2013 at 11:52 AM.