Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-19-2013, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X-3 35
Lucky for me i got a nail in one of my Pirelli P7 Cinturatos. at 16000miles i decided to not go for a simple repair but to replace the front tires. the dealer has the Pirelli OEM tires at $389 each and Bridgestone Turanza EL42 at $300 each. Michelin MXM4 Primacy would have been the same price but they were not in stock. HUGE difference in the way this car drives. it is actually fun to drive now. i was concerned that the electric steering did not have the same feel as the old hydraulic steering but it was these lousy Pirellis all along.
As an aside, i ran a flat rear tire about 30 miles to the dealership at 60mph. The handling was insane. i struggled to maintain myself in the lane. the tire looked almost completely flat. i do not consider the Pirellis as being run flat capable. very dangerous in that situation. but then again, i think they were dangerous when they were at proper inflation, after the first 10,000 miles. so glad its the tires and not the car.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_jo's View Post
Lucky for me i got a nail in one of my Pirelli P7 Cinturatos. at 16000miles i decided to not go for a simple repair but to replace the front tires. the dealer has the Pirelli OEM tires at $389 each and Bridgestone Turanza EL42 at $300 each. Michelin MXM4 Primacy would have been the same price but they were not in stock. HUGE difference in the way this car drives. it is actually fun to drive now. i was concerned that the electric steering did not have the same feel as the old hydraulic steering but it was these lousy Pirellis all along.
As an aside, i ran a flat rear tire about 30 miles to the dealership at 60mph. The handling was insane. i struggled to maintain myself in the lane. the tire looked almost completely flat. i do not consider the Pirellis as being run flat capable. very dangerous in that situation. but then again, i think they were dangerous when they were at proper inflation, after the first 10,000 miles. so glad its the tires and not the car.
You ran on a run flat at 60 mph?? No wonder you had issues You shouldn't go over 40 when you have a "flat" with a run flat. The slower the better. I'm surprised you didn't have to change out all four tires since you had 16,000 miles on them. The X-Drive is super sensitive to tires that are not matched tread. If all the tires were fairly new it wouldn't be a big deal, but with new in the front and old in the back you may have issues.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X-3 35
I ran 60 on the flat tire because i knew i was replacing it. I really didn't care if i trashed it. My experience has been mostly with Michelin tires. My Toyota Sequoia has 57,xxx miles on its original Michelin tires. My kids both have late model X-5's with Michelin Latitude Tour HP 19" 50 series run flats. My daughter has had three flats in the past year and we think nothing of running on them for several days before getting them fixed. they typically get 33-35,xxx miles on a set before replacing. My wife has an '08 X-3 with Michelin Pilots that easily ran 48,xxx miles before replacement. All these Michelins run quiet and smooth with no cupping or noticable wear on the edges. the handling starts to deteriorate in the last 5,000 miles or so of their life on the X-5's. The only tires that i have had on a BMW that only lasted in the mid-teen mileage was a 745iL with Continentals that were P275/40-19s. They would go out to 17,000 but the handling and noise was not fun. I had a 330ica Convertible with Continentals 17" 40 series in the back and 45's in the front. The rears would go about 14,xxx and would be down to the tread indicators and wear flat across. The 45 series fronts would go twice as far, about 28,000 miles. All these cars had at least three sets of tires and the replacement mileage was the same each time. I have heard about having different tires or differently worn tires on an X-drive and possibly causing some hard, but the dealer did not blink an eye or say anything about putting four new ones on. i really just wanted to see if new tires on the front would change the horrible steering response i was getting before diving in on all four. I was considering getting rid of the car due to the poor steering but I am very happy to say its not the car. 16,000 miles on OEM Pirellis on 50 series 18" seems to be very poor endurance. i would have expected twice that mileage at least. i drive very conservatively. i had just gotten back from a 374 mile trip and got 30.5mpg which is the best ever. i usually get 27-28 on trips. I have never had front tires cup on the outside like this new X-3. i wonder if its just the Pirellis.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: X-3 2013
My X-3 has Pirelli P-7! Maybe it is part of the problem but I had the same tires with my 2009 without any prolem.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
2011 x3 3.5 highway stability

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaj View Post
Hello, first post. I came upon this site when I googled steering issues for the 2011 x3 but so far have not seen my exact potential issue. We traded in or 2009 x3 for the 2011 and I have found that on the highway in moderate to high cross winds the car behaves erratically. The old x3 was very solid in high winds and continued on where you pointed it. This model the steering wheel will be on center but the car will pull to the left or right when hit by a cross wind (I admit I am guessing/hoping it's a cross wind that is instigating this). In other words, it appears the front wheels are moving independent of the steering wheel. I will have the steering wheel pointed straight and the car will literally drive into the other lane if I do not correct it by going in the opposite direction with the steering wheel. I would expect if my front wheels are pointed enough to move me to the other lane that would be reflected on the steering wheel position. It's a very strange sensation and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

thanks, jd
Well this to me seems like an wheel alignment issue

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-24-2013, 07:19 PM

Dont buy!

Look my post no. 42. Exactly the same problem. Not an alignment problem for sure (the car is like "waving" from right to left and left to right. I constantly need to adjust the direction. The car does not stay on a straight line and is way less stable than my previous X-3. I am now pretty sure there is nothing to do...not a german car anymore.Surely my last...
Old 04-25-2013, 05:22 AM

2011 x3 3.5 highway stability

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrade View Post
Look my post no. 42. Exactly the same problem. Not an alignment problem for sure (the car is like "waving" from right to left and left to right. I constantly need to adjust the direction. The car does not stay on a straight line and is way less stable than my previous X-3. I am now pretty sure there is nothing to do...not a german car anymore.Surely my last...
Sorry, I missed reading all the posts. I am going to be picking MY'14 X3 in a week and this does seem to be a serious problem. As you said, it could be just that the car is much lighter than the 35i. You should seriously bring this up with BMW NA

Old 04-25-2013, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Have you check the alignment? I would at least check it before you rule it out.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:31 AM

We will see May 15...I am going to my Bmw dealer!
Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 PM

To Rao112: Give me some feeback. Otherwise...it is a nice car...My x-3...same color and same leather

Last edited by dbrade; 05-02-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
To Rao112: Give me some feeback. Otherwise...it is a nice car...My x-3...same color and same leather
Hi dbrade, I just picked up my car the day before. In fact my first BMW. It drives awesome. I love the interior and also the way it matches with mineral silver exterior.

I have driven few miles on the highway and it drives pretty stable so far. I read your first post again and it smells very much like an alignment problem. I really think you should rule that out first before getting into further diagnosis..
Old 05-03-2013, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
I haven't noticed steering or wind blown issues while driving our 2014 X3 in Chicago. My suggestion is for the OP to check alignment, tire pressure, tire condition, etc.With extremely high wind any car will will move to some degree.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 05-03-2013, 04:59 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rao112 View Post
Sorry, I missed reading all the posts. I am going to be picking MY'14 X3 in a week and this does seem to be a serious problem. As you said, it could be just that the car is much lighter than the 35i. You should seriously bring this up with BMW NA

This is not a serious problem. One cannot look at every concern posted here as a serious problem.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired