Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-02-2013, 05:31 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Low Coolant Thanks to the Dealer...

Must we check everything after routine service at our dealership?

After oil service some months ago (the last time the hood was opened on my car), I started to get a low coolant dash warning.

I immediately went to the local dealer and pulled into the service lane (empty)...no appointment... to explain that I was there to buy coolant, but could they explain to my how I would know how much to put in?

No, they couldn't, wouldn't...and I'm shunted off to the parts dept. for a $34.00 of BMW "concentrate" coolant. Just apply a 50/50 mix of it with water.

After the car cools down I attempt to remove the coolant res. cap...but it's stuck...someone put it on "cocked" and it has been leaking fluid as evidenced by the dried fluid around the cap. Ah ha!

The tank seems quite empty so I apply 1.75L of concentrate, but this fills the tank...no room for any water now. I can't imagine that this is harmful, but will have the car in for the battery recall in a few weeks to get everything all sorted out.

I'll give the car a thorough "going over" after getting it back.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Did you buy the car there?

Whenever I'm low on coolant I roll in like you, unannounced, pop open the hood, the SA runs out with a bottle of pre-mix coolant, fills it up & I'm out of there.
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 05-02-2013, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
I had to reconnect the blow off valve and the tube on the back of the air box after the HPFP recall. They just slammed the stuff back under the hood and sent me on my way. I noticed an unusual sound and after some investigation found all the air intake tubes undone. I called and they explained that it couldn't have happened there. Needless to say I haven't been back.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySL View Post

Whenever I'm low on coolant I roll in like you, unannounced, pop open the hood, the SA runs out with a bottle of pre-mix coolant, fills it up & I'm out of there.
I did not (but they didn't bother to inquire or run the VIN).

I was somewhat hoping they'd do that as I also gave several hints that my lease was expiring in two months...as I stood in the empty service area. No takers.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
That's pitiful. When was dropping hints necessary for decent & respectful customer service?
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 05-02-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
That's pitiful. When was dropping hints necessary for decent & respectful customer service?
It gets better. After buying my coolant I was hanging around the service area (parked close to it), and a SA came over asking if the parts dept. had "taken care of me." I said, yes...I was just waiting for the car to "cool down" before driving off. At this point I took the 2nd opportunity to mention that I thought it was odd that the coolant indicator would come on since that car had such low mileage and I would soon be turning it in on lease.

He shrugged and wandered off.

Here's what a well-trained employee would have done:

"Mr. Pointandgo, if you have a few minutes, let's top off your coolant...and while we're doing that, I'd like to introduce you to one of our top sales advisors if you don't mind. You're a long time BMW customer? We'd like to keep it that way. Have you experienced the new 3-series? We can arrange for a test drive in only a few minutes."

This particular dealer spends a LOT of money to get people into their showroom (local advertising). They had a ready-to-buy customer right there...and they blew me off for a quart of coolant. Nice.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 05-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Amazing what living in a BMW centric demographic can do to customer service. Any speculation as to whether you might have been treated differently if it were a 6er, or an M3/M5?

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 05-02-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Amazing what living in a BMW centric demographic can do to customer service. Any speculation as to whether you might have been treated differently if it were a 6er, or an M3/M5?
Oh, I expect so. E90s are the "commodity" European "luxury" car in L.A., they're ubiquitous and probably outnumber Toyotas! Thus my "car break-in" error of last year.

I've e-mailed the dealership this evening asking them why a quart of coolant got in the way of a potential car "deal" after I explained to the service advisor that I was two months shy of lease expiration...and "blown off" for a "comp" top off. I didn't mention any names or specific time periods.

Curious to see what they have to say. I did (somewhat arrogantly) preach to them about the SA being savvy enough to 'top off' my car while introducing to me to a sales advisor while I was there. Team effort!

I did acquire my E39 from this dealership some years ago. My sales person was a native of Germany (quite elderly), and a 'bit' actor having played many parts in the TV series, "Hogan's Heros" usually as a German officer. I thought he looked familiar. Prior to that he did serve in the Wermacht in WWII.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 05-03-2013, 12:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
Par for the course. However, for me, the damage they commonly do to my car is give it a "complimentary wash" so that it looks worse than when I brought it in. It took me 20 minutes to remove the water spots Wednesday night. Each time I bring it in I think, "They won't screw it up this time" -- but they do. I'm going to have to enter a standing order for them not to wash my car.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Old 05-03-2013, 04:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
I took my car in for reprogramming the radio, they parked it in the front when finished and I got a slight ding from a neighboring door, Next time I went in told them not to bring my car out front till I am there to pick it up , I also purchased Koni shocks and struts and ask for a quote to install them, They Never even called me and never Answered my emails, So I take it if you dont purchase the parts they are not interested in keeping the mechanics busy, and wont install them

they would be Hendrick BMW on Independence in Charlotte NC
Old 05-03-2013, 05:55 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
I took my car in for reprogramming the radio, they parked it in the front when finished and I got a slight ding from a neighboring door, Next time I went in told them not to bring my car out front till I am there to pick it up , I also purchased Koni shocks and struts and ask for a quote to install them, They Never even called me and never Answered my emails, So I take it if you dont purchase the parts they are not interested in keeping the mechanics busy, and wont install them

they would be Hendrick BMW on Independence in Charlotte NC
Very few garages will install parts purchased elsewhere, you won't believe the can of worms this opens. I don't want to hijack P&G's thread so won't go into details.
P&G, the arrogance of most business's employees would have you think that the economy is booming. Try getting a parts counter guy to greet you with a friendly smile and a 'How can I help you?' instead of a 'Yeah?' Near impossible.
First impressions count, and so few places make a positive first impression. You're right about how that SA should have handled the meeting. Opportunity lost. But, you see, the SA gets graded on parts sales, he couldn't care less about another car sale. His raise in unaffected by it...
Old 05-03-2013, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: '00 Z-3 '06 325ixT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Very few garages will install parts purchased elsewhere, you won't believe the can of worms this opens. I don't want to hijack P&G's thread so won't go into details.
P&G, the arrogance of most business's employees would have you think that the economy is booming. Try getting a parts counter guy to greet you with a friendly smile and a 'How can I help you?' instead of a 'Yeah?' Near impossible.
First impressions count, and so few places make a positive first impression. You're right about how that SA should have handled the meeting. Opportunity lost. But, you see, the SA gets graded on parts sales, he couldn't care less about another car sale. His raise in unaffected by it...
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Don't put up with this crappy treatment from the dealer. It doesn't matter if you have a warranty, car is a CPO or you're a customer-pay, find and establish a relationship with a good independent shop. Dealers, SAs, parts departments etc. get away with this maltreatment because we let 'em. It's your money, it's your car, it's NOT your job to take their abuse.
Try these web sites: www.dealerrater.com
www.bimmershops.com
www.bimrs.org
Got a local BMW club, check with the members.
With the help of a Bentley manual and the many BMW forums: Do It Yourself!

Many, not all, dealers feel they don't really need you. Small goodwill courtesies such as a coolant top-off are a PITA. Their motto is "If you ain't buyin', they ain't tryin'" Unfortunately son techs, not all, are going through the motions.

Find an independent shop, establish the relationship. My shop, has an hourly rate $30. less than the local stealer, has a GT-1, is staffed with senior BMW techs, guarantees their work, has a small mark-up on parts, allows me to bring in my own parts (and just charges me the hourly rate), will inspect & evaluate you are for a small nominal fee, is glad to do a PPI, has a Hunter tire mounting/alignment equipment & know how to use it. The owner, himself a factory trained BMW tech inspects every job before it leaves his shop.
Shops like this are out there. Find one.

If you still choose the dealership for parts and service, fine as it your choice but if you're dissed then make your feeling known on the survey card, let the forum tribe know what happened and who's responsible and advise BMW NA.

Remember....bitch, it's your right.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:

This is exactly what should happen.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 05-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Low Coolant Thanks to the Dealer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Must we check everything after routine service at our dealership?

After oil service some months ago (the last time the hood was opened on my car), I started to get a low coolant dash warning.

I immediately went to the local dealer and pulled into the service lane (empty)...no appointment... to explain that I was there to buy coolant, but could they explain to my how I would know how much to put in?

No, they couldn't, wouldn't...and I'm shunted off to the parts dept. for a $34.00 of BMW "concentrate" coolant. Just apply a 50/50 mix of it with water.

After the car cools down I attempt to remove the coolant res. cap...but it's stuck...someone put it on "cocked" and it has been leaking fluid as evidenced by the dried fluid around the cap. Ah ha!

The tank seems quite empty so I apply 1.75L of concentrate, but this fills the tank...no room for any water now. I can't imagine that this is harmful, but will have the car in for the battery recall in a few weeks to get everything all sorted out.

I'll give the car a thorough "going over" after getting it back.
I'm sorry to hear about your tragedy. This is why I'm always skeptical about dealers. They should have treated you much better that that, considering how you're a long time customer.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-03-2013, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328xi N51
I ran low on coolant this winter to the point of the idiot light turning on, so I topped it off with distilled water (probably about 15oz). For the next time I mail ordered a jug of coolant since I didn't want to visit the dealer. I was surprised to see my coolant was low since it's a closed system. After that I've been checking it monthly with no change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcreese View Post
Par for the course. However, for me, the damage they commonly do to my car is give it a "complimentary wash" so that it looks worse than when I brought it in. It took me 20 minutes to remove the water spots Wednesday night. Each time I bring it in I think, "They won't screw it up this time" -- but they do. I'm going to have to enter a standing order for them not to wash my car.
Water spots... I wish that was the only damage my car had after dealer washes. My car ends up so swirled after they wash it. Under the florescent lights at the gas station at night I can't stand looking at it because it accentuates all of the little fine scratches. It reminds me of a 20-year old Cutlass I owned. Next time I bring it in I will make it clear that they will not wash it. Now that it's warming up again I'll have to spend an afternoon removing them.

Last edited by hellosopo; 05-03-2013 at 04:16 PM.