Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-13-2013, 12:10 PM
bmw325 bmw325 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 8,331
Mein Auto: 528i
2011 N55 HPFP failure

At long last I get to join the hallowed ranks of bimmerfest HPFP fails. While n55 failures are certainly lower than before, i've seen enough of them (atleast for 2011s) that it still seems to be a problem. I think i read somewhere that they redesigned it again in 2012 and I haven't read of any failures for 2012+ models so maybe its finally cured for good.

Anyway, I really lucked out with how/when it failed:
My wife had just gotten back from a long/harrowig drive on the BQE. She parked on the street. I was trying to move the car closer to the curb when the check engine/rough idle reared its head. Shut the car off and called roadside assistance the next day (Sunday). They took longer than they shoudlve but I didn't really care since i was home. Towed it away, brought to the dealer and the car was fixed by 1pm the next day.

I'm lucky it didn't happen when my wife was driving on the highway or else it would've been no more BMWs for me. Actually she grew up with Saabs, so roadside breakdowns don't phase her as much.

Even though I've read about and been somewhat prepared for this as a possibilty, its still kind of weird to think this type of thing is happening in any sort of numbers on a modern car. Most cars are so reliable now that people complain if the wiper spray pattern doesn't please them. Kind of weird in this day and age that there's a problem that occurs in more than a sampling error's worth of cars that can cause them to stall /signifianly lose power.

I wonder if this type of thing will become more commonplace in the next 5-10 years as carmakers scramble to include and debug more new technologies to increase fuel eoncomy. The previous 10-20 year have been sort of a "golden age" for cars where modern electronics have made things more reliable and carmakers have been able to fine tune. Now we're entering a new era. Same thing with airplanes possibly as evidenced by the trouble with the dreamliner.

Anwyay, thanks to being completley bashed over the head with HPFPs on this forum, I actually sort of smirked when it happened. I think hpowders came to mind. Didnt get upset at all
__________________

Last edited by bmw325; 03-13-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 03-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Last Sight's Avatar
Last Sight Last Sight is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hunterdon County, NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
Actually she grew up with Saabs, so roadside breakdowns don't phase her as much.
Never had problems with my 9-3 until my sister ran into the back of a pickup truck and totaled it If Saab was still alive, I'm not sure I'd even be on this forum.
__________________
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-13-2013, 12:45 PM
hondo402000 hondo402000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,738
Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
if BMW ever stick lithium Batteries in the cars then yes I would say they could have dreamliner problems or just burn the car up

I wonder if its the percentage of Alcohol in the fuel thats causing the issues, I keep hearing ads on the radio that says if your car is not a flex fuel car the manufacturers will not warranty alcohol related break downs

but then like we have the option of non alcohol gas

Hondo
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 PM
kunal_D's Avatar
kunal_D kunal_D is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,556
Mein Auto: 2008 335i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
At long last I get to join the hallowed ranks of bimmerfest HPFP fails. While n55 failures are certainly lower than before, i've seen enough of them (atleast for 2011s) that it still seems to be a problem. I think i read somewhere that they redesigned it again in 2012 and I haven't read of any failures for 2012+ models so maybe its finally cured for good.

Anyway, I really lucked out with how/when it failed:
My wife had just gotten back from a long/harrowig drive on the BQE. She parked on the street. I was trying to move the car closer to the curb when the check engine/rough idle reared its head. Shut the car off and called roadside assistance the next day (Sunday). They took longer than they shoudlve but I didn't really care since i was home. Towed it away, brought to the dealer and the car was fixed by 1pm the next day.

I'm lucky it didn't happen when my wife was driving on the highway or else it would've been no more BMWs for me. Actually she grew up with Saabs, so roadside breakdowns don't phase her as much.

Even though I've read about and been somewhat prepared for this as a possibilty, its still kind of weird to think this type of thing is happening in any sort of numbers on a modern car. Most cars are so reliable now that people complain if the wiper spray pattern doesn't please them. Kind of weird in this day and age that there's a problem that occurs in more than a sampling error's worth of cars that can cause them to stall /signifianly lose power.

I wonder if this type of thing will become more commonplace in the next 5-10 years as carmakers scramble to include and debug more new technologies to increase fuel eoncomy. The previous 10-20 year have been sort of a "golden age" for cars where modern electronics have made things more reliable and carmakers have been able to fine tune. Now we're entering a new era. Same thing with airplanes possibly as evidenced by the trouble with the dreamliner.

Anwyay, thanks to being completley bashed over the head with HPFPs on this forum, I actually sort of smirked when it happened. I think hpowders came to mind. Didnt get upset at all
I just had my HPFP replaced today as well. I took my car into the dealer a 2nd time for a check engine light. First time they told me it was a vacuum leak, and now they tell me it was the fuel pump.

Regardless, my car was already recalled and had the latest HPFP. Other than the engine light I experienced no driveability issues except maybe a slightly rough idle and that too only sometimes.

Don't really know if the pump was actually about to fail or if they just replaced it for the hell of it, but I guess I can be added to the list of people with failures of the latest HPFP.
__________________

08' E90 335i, Sport, Premium, Logic 7, 6-spd
01' 330i TiAG, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, 5spd - R.I.P 04/12- gone but not forgotten.

Last edited by kunal_D; 03-13-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-16-2013, 07:44 AM
bmw325 bmw325 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 8,331
Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sight View Post
Never had problems with my 9-3 until my sister ran into the back of a pickup truck and totaled it If Saab was still alive, I'm not sure I'd even be on this forum.
Yeah saabs tend to either be really great or rely terrible. My mother in law still has a 91 900 that looks like it just came off the showroom floor. Love the looks of those classic 900s. My dad used to have a 9000 that was awful (transmission, fuel pumps, fuses blowing, ecu, trim falling off) and another friend had a 9000 where the rear axle came off! My wife also had a 9000 that left her stranded multiple times. I'll admit that I'd still like to own a 900 spg in grey one day.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 PM
kettassi kettassi is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 335i
My 2011 335i HPFP failed too after a bit over 30K. Did not go into limp mode. Had long crank for over 6 months. First time dealer recharged my battery, but problem did not go away. Second time dealer performed software update. Same problem. So they replaced my HPFP with 13-51-7-616-446. Original one was 13-51-7-613-933. My 446 is supposed to be the 4th revision. Not sure how it differs from the other 446's. Long crank problem is gone now. Interestingly gas mileage is increased from 27-28 to 29.4 MPG. Drivability seems improved too. Hope this one lasts.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-04-2013, 01:52 AM
Robin128 Robin128 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cardiff, Wales
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 173
Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 335i auto, Volvo T5 man
Gather HPFP failures are lifetime warranty/recall in USA...what about UK anyone?

__________________


One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms