Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-01-2013, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 328i
While Having Battery Recall, Found Out Need New Radio...

Brought my 2011 328i sedan in for recall and happened to mention to SA that the radio would just turn off with a loud popping sound every so often...
Calls me back later that day to say car needs new radio that is being ordered and installed tomorrow...
What the heck happened?
Is this just an unusual occurrence, or is this a warning about things to come with this car?...
Good thing it's still under warranty...
I was already considering buying the Gold extended warranty, figuring I didn't need the extra electronics coverage since I don't have NAV...
Now I don't know...
Ads by Google
Old 05-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Yes, loud popping from the speakers. I'm on my third or fourth radio and third or fourth software update. It was OK for almost a year and started doing it again. Unfortunately, it does this in random clusters, and has stopped doing it again.

I have the "Platinum" extended warranty. The car started doing it early in life during the original warranty period.

The best failure was driving back from Thanksgiving dinner and I was telling my daughter -- who drives a Honda Accord -- that BMWs are a lot of fun to drive and "really not all that unreliable" (she was having trouble stopping herself from laughing!) when deus ex machina, the BMW poltergeists intervened, the radio quit, half the radio display went blank, and the other half showed machine gibberish.

The automobile radio was introduced in 1930. You might think all the smart engineers who work for BMW would have this figured out by now.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 05-02-2013, 03:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
sounds like the new-er the BMW models the more issues they have. Glad I bought a 6 year old used one, so far no problems

Hondo
Old 05-02-2013, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
Yes, loud popping from the speakers. I'm on my third or fourth radio and third or fourth software update. It was OK for almost a year and started doing it again. Unfortunately, it does this in random clusters, and has stopped doing it again.

3rd or 4th unit....electronics are extraordinarily reliable....do ya think it might not be the radio?
Old 05-02-2013, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
The best failure was driving back from Thanksgiving dinner and I was telling my daughter -- who drives a Honda Accord -- that BMWs are a lot of fun to drive and "really not all that unreliable" (she was having trouble stopping herself from laughing!) when deus ex machina, the BMW poltergeists intervened, the radio quit, half the radio display went blank, and the other half showed machine gibberish.
Dude, you can't spit in the face of God and not expect some consequences!

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 05-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
3rd or 4th unit....electronics are extraordinarily reliable....do ya think it might not be the radio?
This should be nearly perfect technology. I've never had a problem with a radio in a Honda or Toyota.

(edit: -- but I've had several Volvo and Porsche radios. Think, maybe, there is a pattern?)

One BMW failure was a replacement radio and it failed almost immediately. I'm guessing the BMW replacement radios are "remanufactured" and if the defect doesn't appear during inspection, it will just reappear when it's reinstalled in another car. After another attempt I needed to wait for a software update. If they needed to rewrite the software, they were apparently aware of a problem.

My E91 was built in Germany so I presume the optional Poltergeist Package (ZPPP) was inadvertently included in a USA build. GOK what the problem really is, but it seems to have BMW stumped.

Although the "popping" has made my wife hit the ceiling, it doesn't happen all the time. I love the way the car responds and handles. It's about as fun a way to get to Home Depot or Costco as I can think of. The only question is if I'm brave enough to keep it after the extended warranty expires.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"

Last edited by Bob Shiftright; 05-02-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
I agree, probably not the radio.

Also, if I am not mistaken our "radio" is a lot more than just a radio. Doesn't is allow an interface to the bluetooth, car diagnostics etc. Don't think Toyota and Honda use the radio for anything other than a radio.

Last edited by mossman35; 05-02-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
I had to have the radio (sound system?) replaced twice in my Lexus because a CD would randomly eject.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
The CD player in my wife's Infiniti was replaced 3 or 4 times. I lost count.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
My E91 was built in Germany so I presume the optional Poltergeist Package (ZPPP) was inadvertently included in a USA build. GOK what the problem really is, but it seems to have BMW stumped.

That's bad. Real bad.

What's made by man can be fixed by man - BMW declines to take the time. Lemon that puppy & move on....

Prob intermittant which can be devilish to track down. Me being me, I'd install a data logging energy monitor here & there to diagnose. It'll detect where a glitch occurs and more importantly, if installed @ more than one point, a pattern of failure.

That's important info! But nooooooooooooo.....
Old 05-04-2013, 11:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 335i auto, Volvo T5 man
Regulator on alternator not calibrated properly/not working pushing out too many volts???

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
OP: Anything can break. BMW doesn't design or build the radios. It was likely made by Alpine or another large OEM. They are usually very reliable (I've never had one fail in any of my 7 BMW's). But there's no such thing as perfect reliability with anything electronic (or anything else for that matter). They live in an environment with lots of vibration, jarring, temperature and humidity shifts, etc. Thankfully you've got a warranty so no out of pocket costs to get it fixed.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 1989 VW GTI 16V
yup, on our second head unit and it occasionally does the popping or sometimes the radio/cd/bluetooth just simply doesn't work unless I turn off the car and restart it.... going to have the battery recall service done this friday. Hopefully, it'll fix this issue.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i, 01 325I
I had my speakers pop and the radio went blank for a second. Dealer replaced the amplifier. So far so good.