Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 04-27-2013, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 325si
Why I can't own nice things. (westpark sucks)

Posted this on a few of the other forms thought ya'll might like to give it a read.

Parked my car Thursday evening in the underground lot at my building. Came out Friday morning to the pictures below. Apparently both the management company and the parking company knew about this problem and did nothing to fix it. (at least block it off!!!) From what I was told it is a mixture of calcium sulfate and salt.

http://s884.photobucket.com/user/The...eshow/BMW%20M3

I am wondering what kind of compensation I should be looking for, It would be dam near impossible to find another 5 speed vert in good shape in Alberta, and I have no idea what this one is worth here.

The only one I have seen so far that is local was $14,999

Now they are saying that they're not responsible for anything that happens in the lot they manage. Excuse my french, but why exactly not??? If it was 3rd party damage than that would be different (theft or vandalism) but its not as far as I can tell, the damage was done due to gross negligence on Westpark's part. They knew about the problem, had already damaged 5 vehicles this year, and being the negligent they are, didn't bother to even block off the area that was causing damage.

I have pictures and videos of crap leaking all over this place.

First they tell me that they're totally responsible and to go and get quotes from different body shops in town. Then they tell me they are not responsible when they find out what how much the 4 different quotes come too. ($11,008.21)

Then "Chad" (real name) at westpark tells me that there's no way my bmw m3 is worth more than $2300, so I tell him to find one in Alberta and see what there worth (only one I could find was $14,999) and he said he will not pay any money because they're not responsible.

So I send over a "letter of demand", saying that based on the 4 quotes they had me get, they are responsible for the damages to my vehicle and I will expect full payment by the 19th of this month.

In turn I get a letter from their lawyer. Saying that they never admitted guilt even though they paid for the auto detailing, the car is only worth $2300, and my demand letter for $11,008.21 (based on the quotes they had me get at the shops they sent me to) is outrageous and totally without merit.

Cliff notes I need a lawyer. And some Publicity wouldn't hurt. Know anyone???

It looks like I will be taking them to court, and if you know anyone that has had this happen to them, please let me know as it will most likely be a class action case. (someone with legal precedent would be great)

Wish me luck

Update apr 28th

As I was taking pictures of the permanent damage tonight, an older gentleman approached me and asked if I was the one that had done an interview with the CBC (on the radio thursday and should be on tv soon)

I told him that it was me, and he asked me to come take a look at his car. As we are walking over he tells me that 2 weeks ago (when he was on a vacation) some of the same stuff had dripped on his car, and eaten away at the paint to the point where it would require a repaint.

As I take a look at it, I see the same type of damage that has happened to me! He then informed me that the vehicle is a lease and that he will be turning it in in the next few weeks, but he is not sure what to do about the etched paint or what to do when he gets a new car after the trade in.

I inform him that the leasing company would most likely charge him for the damage and he should contact both the leasing company and his insurance company immediately. As I am telling him that he asks me what my plan is. (I'm going to sue the **** out of them) he then tells me that his wife works for a law firm, and he would like to join me when I sue both Westpark and Timbercreek property management.

We exchange emails and phone numbers and part ways.

Here are some of the pictures I just took

My car as it sits tonight

His car:

This can only help my case, right?

Last edited by The G.O.A.T.; 04-27-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Moved pictures around
Ads by Google
Old 04-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Don't ask us. Get an attorney.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: Lexi
Make sure your attorney threatens to seek out other car owners who suffered similar damage to their vehicles over the years. Might just help hurry along that settlement.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:57 PM

I know there are a bunch of others and I have pictures of them... I am also going to print a flyer with a picture of my car covered in the goo, and ask if there vehicle has had this stuff on it to contact me through email.

I don't have an attorney yet because I was going to go through small claims court, but if we get past the mediation and pre trial, I will get one.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:03 PM

I also got an email last night from another person in this building that had there car damaged, and wants to sue.

I think this will go class action after I slip flyers under every unit's door, and wouldn't be surprised to have 20+ people come forward.

They should have just payed me. But they didn't... so **** 'em
Old 04-29-2013, 03:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to dannyc9997
Mein Auto: 540i
Subscribed. Good luck I hope to something good for you come out of this.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: Lexi
Quote:
Originally Posted by The G.O.A.T. View Post
I also got an email last night from another person in this building that had there car damaged, and wants to sue.

I think this will go class action after I slip flyers under every unit's door, and wouldn't be surprised to have 20+ people come forward.

They should have just payed me. But they didn't... so **** 'em
Get the attorney involved sooner rather than later. While the building management may be talking tough, a quick word to their insurance carrier by your attorney can get things moving pretty quickly. Have your lawyer write into the retainer letter that you will be directly and fully compensated for your legal expenses outside the usual class action contingency arrangement. Good luck.

Last edited by williakz; 04-29-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williakz View Post
Get the attorney involved sooner rather than later. While the building management may be talking tough, a quick word to their insurance carrier by your attorney can get things moving pretty quickly. Have your lawyer write into the retainer letter that you will be directly and fully compensated for your legal expenses outside the usual class action contingency arrangement. Good luck.
One of the people that has contacted me has said that his wife works for a law firm so that side of it should be covered.

Thanks for the advice, and the well wishing.

Nick
Old 05-02-2013, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Please keep this updated. I'd like to see those scumbags get what's coming to them.
2003 BMW 530i|Alpine White III/SandBeige|5-Speed|143,300 miles|17" BBS RK, 8.5" Front, 10" Rear|Eibach Front and Rear AntiRoll Kit|M Sport Suspension Swap|"Muffler Delete" Mod|ZHP Shift Knob|Mtech Front Bumper with T-bar Grille|M Sport Steering Wheel Swap|Auxiliary Input Mod

Do you live in or near Jacksonville, FL? Interested in hooking up with fellow BMW owners? Check out JaxBimmers!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 PM

First of all, thanks for the support.

If any of you have some time, and would like to help me out, please send an email to the reporter (and cc me) showing your support. It will help me get some media coverage.

Her email address is : elizabeth.snaddon@cbc.ca

Mine is : rock106_5@hotmail.com

Thanks guys,

Nick