Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: F11 535d xdrive
Bluetooth coding

Hello Bimmerfest coding community,

I am a proud owner of a brand new F11 535d xdrive.

First of all - a big thank you for all the material already available in your posts. I have spent the last few days reading through as many of them as possible to get a good grasp of coding.

Due to misleading information from the sales rep, I didn't order the enhanced Bluetooth package 6NK and have now only the basic 6NH. I am very disappointed that I cannot have audio streaming over Bluetooth.

Having read through many of the threads in this forum, I do get the impression that I could probably code my car to have 6NK.

A few specific questions on this:

* Is it correct that I should change the VO/FA code for the Head Unit to have 6NK instead of 6NH? Is that sufficient or should I do something extra?
* What version of psdzdata do I need for my car (production date March 2013) ?
* I am trying to download ESys from the torrent but it is only 29% done after more than 24 hours... Can anyone please share a link to a faster source (perhaps requiring paid access) both for ESys and correct version of psdzdata?

I have built the cable already and verified that my laptop gets an IP address from the car so it seems to be working.

I don't have much to offer in return to the community but I could probably find a FTP server where the downloadables can be made available (at least for some time). I am also a software developer (quite a lot of Java work) at daytime so if my skills could help out somehow - I can definitely try to help.

Best regards,
Erik
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2013, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328xi
Quote:
Is it correct that I should change the VO/FA code for the Head Unit to have 6NK instead of 6NH? Is that sufficient or should I do something extra?
Change 6NH to 6NK and code HU_CIC then MEDIA would do, if you just want A2DP and regular iPod white cable connection with music and album art.
Quote:
What version of psdzdata do I need for my car (production date March 2013) ?
P2.48.3, F020-12-11-505 which means you need to buy a token for E-sys 3.22.5 and P2.49.1 while you at it.
Quote:
I am trying to download ESys from the torrent but it is only 29% done after more than 24 hours... Can anyone please share a link to a faster source (perhaps requiring paid access) both for ESys and correct version of psdzdata?
What version are you downloading? Find Shawn on this forum for a link.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:29 PM

Hi,

I have successfully changed my VO/FA to include 6NK instead of 6NH.

However since I don't have navi, I don't have HU_CIC or HU_NBT ECU-s that I could code. Is there something else I can code instead?

Here is a list of ECU-s I have: ACSM CAS DME DSC2 EGS EHC1 EKPM2 EMF FLA3 FRM FRR FZD GWS HKFM HU_CHAMP2 ICM IHKA JBBF KOMBI LMV_FR PDC SVT SZL_LWS ZBE3 ZGW2

Thank you,
Erik
Old 05-02-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJ View Post
Hi,

I have successfully changed my VO/FA to include 6NK instead of 6NH.

However since I don't have navi, I don't have HU_CIC or HU_NBT ECU-s that I could code. Is there something else I can code instead?

Here is a list of ECU-s I have: ACSM CAS DME DSC2 EGS EHC1 EKPM2 EMF FLA3 FRM FRR FZD GWS HKFM HU_CHAMP2 ICM IHKA JBBF KOMBI LMV_FR PDC SVT SZL_LWS ZBE3 ZGW2

Thank you,
Erik
Please post the last 7 digits of your VIN so I can futhur help you out, you need media combox for BT audio stream and ipod intergation. The combox is located in you trunk under the mat cover, to the left of the fuse box (on myF30). Check what's there and post the part number so we know sure you have a media combox.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i XDrive
Bluetooth coding

You have HU_CHAMP do the VO code there after you change to 6NK

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-02-2013, 02:20 PM

Hi,

Last 7 digits of VIN: D089920

I checked the trunk. There is one box on the left with no markings. On the right there are two boxes with markings. I attached photos of all three - is any one of them a combox?

Thank you,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	374437   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	374438   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	374439  
Old 05-02-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristras View Post
You have HU_CHAMP do the VO code there after you change to 6NK

Try that first. It's the easiest way to find out if your hardware supports 6NK. I will dig into your pics a bit more once I get home.

Last edited by maxpnc; 05-02-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:42 PM

Bluetooth coding

The first one looks like the amplifier. The other two are not the Combox. Did you check the middle? Lift all the trim by hand.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:49 PM

Bluetooth coding

If you lift the trim in your trunk, like you are looking for a spare tire, you should see something like this

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1367531349.456534.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	374441

The silver box on the left is the Combox

Old 05-03-2013, 11:45 AM

Hi,

I made another attempt today and yes, coding HU_CHAMP2 got me a little bit further.

Now I have more Bluetooth options in the menus about audio and office-related things, but... when I pair my phone, it still says that it is only enabled for Phone audio and nothing else. The options for the phone don't help either - only phone audio is available there. I tried the same with another phone but got exactly the same result. I also looked around in all the options under HU_CHAMP2 and enabled anything that mentioned Bluetooth but it didn't help.

Could it be that I have such a basic head unit that the hardware is incapable of A2DP audio and other advanced things? Or could it still be solved using some clever coding?

Thank you,
Erik
Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 PM

I checked under the bottom of the trunk and found two more boxes next to the battery. However none of them were aluminium like the combox on your picture
Old 05-03-2013, 01:04 PM

Bluetooth coding

When you select the Telephone on your menu, do you have a configure Telephone option? You should see a menu that will allow you to select Telephone and audio.

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1367611431.928227.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	374576

Old 05-03-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristras View Post
When you select the Telephone on your menu, do you have a configure Telephone option? You should see a menu that will allow you to select Telephone and audio.
I have that menu but my only option there is Telephone. The others options are not there.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:29 PM

Bluetooth coding

Check if what you have on the Bluetooth options menu

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1367616574.468789.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	374586

Old 05-05-2013, 11:08 AM

Hi,

I have that menu and it contains the same options. But regardless, the Bluetooth options menu for the phone only shows "Telephone". I have tries re-pairing the same and another phone several times with no success.

I also discovered that the Telephone functionality doesn't work properly this way either. The car shows calls coming in but I don't hear the caller and the the caller down't hear me.

I suspect that the 6NK option might make the car to assume that combox exists and expect that to do its part. Which unfortunately is not true in my case.

Or could there be another option hidden in some other ECU that might help?

Do you know of anyone who has accomplished this on a car without navi?

Thank you,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bt0.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	374944   Click image for larger version

Name:	bt1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	374945  
Old 05-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Hi,

I have that menu and it contains the same options. But regardless, the Bluetooth options menu for the phone only shows "Telephone". I have tries re-pairing the same and another phone several times with no success.

I also discovered that the Telephone functionality doesn't work properly this way either. The car shows calls coming in but I don't hear the caller and the the caller down't hear me.

I suspect that the 6NK option might make the car to assume that combox exists and expect that to do its part. Which unfortunately is not true in my case.

Or could there be another option hidden in some other ECU that might help?

Do you know of anyone who has accomplished this on a car without navi?

Thank you,
Erik
If you have a Combox (Assuming no NBT Head Unit as is your case), you will see CMB_MEDIA ECU in your SVT. Then and only then can you change 6NH into 6NK.

No CMB_MEDIA = No 6NK

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 AM

Unfortunately I don't have CMB_MEDIA.

So it looks like the only way to get 6NK is to get a combox retrofit. Is it so?

What other additional functionality would the combox give me besides the Bluetooth-related things? In your opinion - would it be worth the hassle?

Thank you,
Erik
Old 05-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have CMB_MEDIA.

So it looks like the only way to get 6NK is to get a combox retrofit. Is it so?

What other additional functionality would the combox give me besides the Bluetooth-related things? In your opinion - would it be worth the hassle?

Thank you,
Erik
I think Combox is worth it, but you may not.

Here are links for the retrofit:

Bimmer-Tech:

http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...a-pnp-retrofit

Bimmer Retrofit:

http://bimmerretrofit.com/store/inde...&product_id=66
  • Bluetooth audio streaming
  • Album Art covers display (over USB port in the armrest)
  • Office menu (for iPhone only Contacts are currently available, other phones can have text messages, Calendar, Tasks, Emails, etc.)
  • New version of Voice Control powered by Nuance including One-Shot Destination Entry feature
  • Internet and BMW Live* (Optional. Please check the available options)
It says you need 609, but I have heard Combox can be retrofitted without 609, but you will not have the Voice Control powered by Nuance of course.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips