Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 07-28-2010, 03:59 PM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,920
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihigloria3 View Post
What site did you get your repair kit from?
See post #4.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-08-2010, 06:04 AM
BugsCoke BugsCoke is offline
Registered User
Location: US
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 325xi
Step by step Instructions

Thanks for the pictures, it does help somewhat. I had my driver's side door lock break apart and fall inside the door. I was able to get all of the pieces out and remove the lock cylinder. I ordered a kit with all new parts, but I am having some issues on the way it goes back together. Some of the parts can be put together in multiple ways, but I know there is only one "right" way. Does anyone have any step-by-step pictures as to how the lock is reassembled?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-08-2010, 08:12 AM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,920
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsCoke View Post
Thanks for the pictures, it does help somewhat. I had my driver's side door lock break apart and fall inside the door. I was able to get all of the pieces out and remove the lock cylinder. I ordered a kit with all new parts, but I am having some issues on the way it goes back together. Some of the parts can be put together in multiple ways, but I know there is only one "right" way. Does anyone have any step-by-step pictures as to how the lock is reassembled?
Read the earlier posts, especially #6 and you'll have to experiment a bit. It's not hard to get the parts together in the right order but it will probably take multiple attempts before you get it right. Insert the key and make sure it moves each part as you proceed. It's pretty much a trial and error assembly but you will eventually come up with the correct combination if you persist. Consider it BMW's "Rubik's Cube".
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-28-2011, 07:22 AM
BugsCoke BugsCoke is offline
Registered User
Location: US
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
Read the earlier posts, especially #6 and you'll have to experiment a bit. It's not hard to get the parts together in the right order but it will probably take multiple attempts before you get it right. Insert the key and make sure it moves each part as you proceed. It's pretty much a trial and error assembly but you will eventually come up with the correct combination if you persist. Consider it BMW's "Rubik's Cube".
I can't believe BMW does not have step-by-step reassembly instruction.

I tried putting it together a few weeks ago. What I found is that you have to have the key inserted to do so and if the pieces are not in right, the key does not pull out. I am going to use the pictures on this post to try again. I will also take my own pictures as I proceed so that I can post them here to help others.

Stay tuned!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-02-2011, 10:28 AM
BugsCoke BugsCoke is offline
Registered User
Location: US
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 325xi
Here is a diagram of how the pieces should be aligned:


The round pieces are the two different shades of orange and the spring is in blue. The spring needs to be twisted (tight) clockwise looking down and then the shaft inserted on top and C-clip slid into place. Then replace the small roll pin in the hole.
Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Starless Starless is offline
*^^^^^^^^*
Location: STL, MO
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,619
Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Ok, I'm a victim of the broken lock too today.

2 kits on ebay, one from UK, the other one from Turkey. Does it matter which one I get? My key does not spin "around" though, it spins freely to 90 degrees both ways. (Remote has been dead for more than a year)

P.S Just ordered the one from Turkey, looks like it will work. Paid $20 + $20 for expedited shipping to US. I need to lock my car somehow!

Last edited by Starless; 06-04-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-04-2011, 09:34 AM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,920
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
Ok, I'm a victim of the broken lock too today.

2 kits on ebay, one from UK, the other one from Turkey. Does it matter which one I get? My key does not spin "around" though, it spins freely to 90 degrees both ways. (Remote has been dead for more than a year)

P.S Just ordered the one from Turkey, looks like it will work. Paid $20 + $20 for expedited shipping to US. I need to lock my car somehow!
I got the one from Turkey, it took 2 1/2 weeks to get here. The kits are probably the same. Maybe you can find someone selling a used lock cylinder and put the keyed part from yours into it? There was a guy in Arizona selling kits too, but I didn't save his website. Do a search, maybe you'll get lucky.
__________________
Don't be gormless; get some gorm!
![/I][/FONT]
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Starless Starless is offline
*^^^^^^^^*
Location: STL, MO
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,619
Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
I got the one from Turkey, it took 2 1/2 weeks to get here. The kits are probably the same. Maybe you can find someone selling a used lock cylinder and put the keyed part from yours into it? There was a guy in Arizona selling kits too, but I didn't save his website. Do a search, maybe you'll get lucky.
Thanks, man! Well I already ordered mine and I paid $20 for DHL express, so it should be 3 to 6 days (I hope)

Hey, catso, I've got a question, when my key moves freely 90 degrees both ways (not 180 or 360) do you think it's one of those little parts that come in the kit that is broken? I assumed it will be the case, but you, having done the repair, will probably know for sure?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Pendulum's Avatar
Pendulum Pendulum is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Thunder Bay
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 537
Mein Auto: '05 AW/IR M3
Starless, if you refer to post #6, I believe it is part "C", top left piece, that is most prone to failure. In my case "C" had broken into 3 pieces and was still in place which allowed for the lock cylinder assembly to rotate 90 degrees to both the left and right. The kit does include everything you need to rebuild your cylinder other than the cylinder that your key fits into.
__________________
Maximum PSI Stage 1 Turbo
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-04-2011, 11:55 AM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,920
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
Thanks, man! Well I already ordered mine and I paid $20 for DHL express, so it should be 3 to 6 days (I hope)

Hey, catso, I've got a question, when my key moves freely 90 degrees both ways (not 180 or 360) do you think it's one of those little parts that come in the kit that is broken? I assumed it will be the case, but you, having done the repair, will probably know for sure?
Yeah, mine didn't turn all the way around, only about 90 degrees in each direction. The little parts that break are pot metal, not very strong. BTW, it's really easy to remove the cylinder assembly: remove the plug on the side of the door and probe around with a 5mm allen wrench until you find the setscrew, unscrew it and you can then wiggle the lock assembly out of the door handle.
__________________
Don't be gormless; get some gorm!
![/I][/FONT]

Last edited by catso; 06-04-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Starless Starless is offline
*^^^^^^^^*
Location: STL, MO
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,619
Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendulum View Post
Starless, if you refer to post #6, I believe it is part "C", top left piece, that is most prone to failure. In my case "C" had broken into 3 pieces and was still in place which allowed for the lock cylinder assembly to rotate 90 degrees to both the left and right. The kit does include everything you need to rebuild your cylinder other than the cylinder that your key fits into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
Yeah, mine didn't turn all the way around, only about 90 degrees in each direction. The little parts that break are pot metal, not very strong. BTW, it's really easy to remove the cylinder assembly: remove the plug on the side of the door and probe around with a 5mm allen wrench until you find the setscrew, unscrew it and you can then wiggle the lock assembly out of the door handle.
Thanks, guys! I'll be waiting for the kit to arrive and I'll report my findings.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-04-2011, 11:30 PM
robj213 robj213 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ft Worth, TX
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 745
Mein Auto: 2003 325i SP, Xenon
Check out post #6 for video on assembling the lock cylinder.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=810099
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-05-2011, 04:20 AM
Starless Starless is offline
*^^^^^^^^*
Location: STL, MO
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,619
Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj213 View Post
Check out post #6 for video on assembling the lock cylinder.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=810099
Awesome! Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Starless Starless is offline
*^^^^^^^^*
Location: STL, MO
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,619
Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Ok, just rebuilt my lock using the repair parts. Took me may be 30 minutes. The hardest part was to bring the spring to tension and when I did and thought I was all done I found out that I used the part for the right door lock instead of the left door lock part. Had to redo it, but by that time I got the hang of how to assemble it and it took less time to put it together the right way.

Big thanks for the video, it helped a lot! Without instructions in this thread it would be indeed like trying to put Rubik's Cube together. But now I'm back in business of locking the car on the parking lots May be one day I'll take care of my remote too.

Last edited by Starless; 06-09-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-22-2011, 03:25 AM
Harry Hangers Harry Hangers is offline
Registered User
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: X5 - 2001
X5 Door Lock Barrel Replacement

Hey folks,

I spent hours trying to work out how to put the spring on the x5's Drivers door lock back into the correct position after replacing the door lock barrel.

After pulling all my hair out, I found this post and it answered my questions in minutes. Obviously the X5 and 3 series share the door locking mechanism parts.:

Thanks for taking the time to put this post up!!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-09-2012, 07:02 PM
JBW2BF JBW2BF is offline
Registered User
Location: U.S.A.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 330i
I know it's an old thread, but just wanted to thanks everyone who contributed to this thread. It helped me solve my door issue.

While reassembling, one thing I found helpful was turning and placing the spring with plier while having another person put Part 'A' in place.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Starless Starless is offline
*^^^^^^^^*
Location: STL, MO
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,619
Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
Ok, just rebuilt my lock using the repair parts. Took me may be 30 minutes. The hardest part was to bring the spring to tension and when I did and thought I was all done I found out that I used the part for the right door lock instead of the left door lock part. Had to redo it, but by that time I got the hang of how to assemble it and it took less time to put it together the right way.

Big thanks for the video, it helped a lot! Without instructions in this thread it would be indeed like trying to put Rubik's Cube together. But now I'm back in business of locking the car on the parking lots May be one day I'll take care of my remote too.
OK, my repair kit worked for 2 years. Lock broke again. Ordered another same kit from the same seller. For 2 years I've been using the lock ONLY, no remote. So this is how long it lasts - 2 years.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-30-2013, 06:14 PM
chucka chucka is offline
Registered User
Location: Long Island NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: none
What part breaks on the lock and how much would a dealer charge, just asking thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
door lock


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms