Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-28-2010, 03:59 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihigloria3 View Post
What site did you get your repair kit from?
See post #4.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi
Step by step Instructions

Thanks for the pictures, it does help somewhat. I had my driver's side door lock break apart and fall inside the door. I was able to get all of the pieces out and remove the lock cylinder. I ordered a kit with all new parts, but I am having some issues on the way it goes back together. Some of the parts can be put together in multiple ways, but I know there is only one "right" way. Does anyone have any step-by-step pictures as to how the lock is reassembled?
Old 10-08-2010, 08:12 AM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsCoke View Post
Thanks for the pictures, it does help somewhat. I had my driver's side door lock break apart and fall inside the door. I was able to get all of the pieces out and remove the lock cylinder. I ordered a kit with all new parts, but I am having some issues on the way it goes back together. Some of the parts can be put together in multiple ways, but I know there is only one "right" way. Does anyone have any step-by-step pictures as to how the lock is reassembled?
Read the earlier posts, especially #6 and you'll have to experiment a bit. It's not hard to get the parts together in the right order but it will probably take multiple attempts before you get it right. Insert the key and make sure it moves each part as you proceed. It's pretty much a trial and error assembly but you will eventually come up with the correct combination if you persist. Consider it BMW's "Rubik's Cube".
Old 04-28-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
Read the earlier posts, especially #6 and you'll have to experiment a bit. It's not hard to get the parts together in the right order but it will probably take multiple attempts before you get it right. Insert the key and make sure it moves each part as you proceed. It's pretty much a trial and error assembly but you will eventually come up with the correct combination if you persist. Consider it BMW's "Rubik's Cube".
I can't believe BMW does not have step-by-step reassembly instruction.

I tried putting it together a few weeks ago. What I found is that you have to have the key inserted to do so and if the pieces are not in right, the key does not pull out. I am going to use the pictures on this post to try again. I will also take my own pictures as I proceed so that I can post them here to help others.

Stay tuned!
Old 05-02-2011, 10:28 AM

Here is a diagram of how the pieces should be aligned:

The round pieces are the two different shades of orange and the spring is in blue. The spring needs to be twisted (tight) clockwise looking down and then the shaft inserted on top and C-clip slid into place. Then replace the small roll pin in the hole.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:24 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Ok, I'm a victim of the broken lock too today.

2 kits on ebay, one from UK, the other one from Turkey. Does it matter which one I get? My key does not spin "around" though, it spins freely to 90 degrees both ways. (Remote has been dead for more than a year)

P.S Just ordered the one from Turkey, looks like it will work. Paid $20 + $20 for expedited shipping to US. I need to lock my car somehow!

Last edited by Starless; 06-04-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:34 AM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
Ok, I'm a victim of the broken lock too today.

2 kits on ebay, one from UK, the other one from Turkey. Does it matter which one I get? My key does not spin "around" though, it spins freely to 90 degrees both ways. (Remote has been dead for more than a year)

P.S Just ordered the one from Turkey, looks like it will work. Paid $20 + $20 for expedited shipping to US. I need to lock my car somehow!
I got the one from Turkey, it took 2 1/2 weeks to get here. The kits are probably the same. Maybe you can find someone selling a used lock cylinder and put the keyed part from yours into it? There was a guy in Arizona selling kits too, but I didn't save his website. Do a search, maybe you'll get lucky.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:25 AM
*^^^^^^^^*

Quote:
I got the one from Turkey, it took 2 1/2 weeks to get here. The kits are probably the same. Maybe you can find someone selling a used lock cylinder and put the keyed part from yours into it? There was a guy in Arizona selling kits too, but I didn't save his website. Do a search, maybe you'll get lucky.
Thanks, man! Well I already ordered mine and I paid $20 for DHL express, so it should be 3 to 6 days (I hope)

Hey, catso, I've got a question, when my key moves freely 90 degrees both ways (not 180 or 360) do you think it's one of those little parts that come in the kit that is broken? I assumed it will be the case, but you, having done the repair, will probably know for sure?
Old 06-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 AW/IR M3
Starless, if you refer to post #6, I believe it is part "C", top left piece, that is most prone to failure. In my case "C" had broken into 3 pieces and was still in place which allowed for the lock cylinder assembly to rotate 90 degrees to both the left and right. The kit does include everything you need to rebuild your cylinder other than the cylinder that your key fits into.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:55 AM
catso

Quote:
Thanks, man! Well I already ordered mine and I paid $20 for DHL express, so it should be 3 to 6 days (I hope)

Hey, catso, I've got a question, when my key moves freely 90 degrees both ways (not 180 or 360) do you think it's one of those little parts that come in the kit that is broken? I assumed it will be the case, but you, having done the repair, will probably know for sure?
Yeah, mine didn't turn all the way around, only about 90 degrees in each direction. The little parts that break are pot metal, not very strong. BTW, it's really easy to remove the cylinder assembly: remove the plug on the side of the door and probe around with a 5mm allen wrench until you find the setscrew, unscrew it and you can then wiggle the lock assembly out of the door handle.

Last edited by catso; 06-04-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:18 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendulum View Post
Starless, if you refer to post #6, I believe it is part "C", top left piece, that is most prone to failure. In my case "C" had broken into 3 pieces and was still in place which allowed for the lock cylinder assembly to rotate 90 degrees to both the left and right. The kit does include everything you need to rebuild your cylinder other than the cylinder that your key fits into.
Quote:
Yeah, mine didn't turn all the way around, only about 90 degrees in each direction. The little parts that break are pot metal, not very strong. BTW, it's really easy to remove the cylinder assembly: remove the plug on the side of the door and probe around with a 5mm allen wrench until you find the setscrew, unscrew it and you can then wiggle the lock assembly out of the door handle.
Thanks, guys! I'll be waiting for the kit to arrive and I'll report my findings.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 325i SP, Xenon
Check out post #6 for video on assembling the lock cylinder.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=810099
Old 06-05-2011, 04:20 AM
*^^^^^^^^*

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj213 View Post
Check out post #6 for video on assembling the lock cylinder.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=810099
Awesome! Thank you.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:10 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Ok, just rebuilt my lock using the repair parts. Took me may be 30 minutes. The hardest part was to bring the spring to tension and when I did and thought I was all done I found out that I used the part for the right door lock instead of the left door lock part. Had to redo it, but by that time I got the hang of how to assemble it and it took less time to put it together the right way.

Big thanks for the video, it helped a lot! Without instructions in this thread it would be indeed like trying to put Rubik's Cube together. But now I'm back in business of locking the car on the parking lots May be one day I'll take care of my remote too.

Last edited by Starless; 06-09-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:25 AM

Mein Auto: X5 - 2001
X5 Door Lock Barrel Replacement

Hey folks,

I spent hours trying to work out how to put the spring on the x5's Drivers door lock back into the correct position after replacing the door lock barrel.

After pulling all my hair out, I found this post and it answered my questions in minutes. Obviously the X5 and 3 series share the door locking mechanism parts.:

Thanks for taking the time to put this post up!!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
I know it's an old thread, but just wanted to thanks everyone who contributed to this thread. It helped me solve my door issue.

While reassembling, one thing I found helpful was turning and placing the spring with plier while having another person put Part 'A' in place.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:52 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Quote:
Ok, just rebuilt my lock using the repair parts. Took me may be 30 minutes. The hardest part was to bring the spring to tension and when I did and thought I was all done I found out that I used the part for the right door lock instead of the left door lock part. Had to redo it, but by that time I got the hang of how to assemble it and it took less time to put it together the right way.

Big thanks for the video, it helped a lot! Without instructions in this thread it would be indeed like trying to put Rubik's Cube together. But now I'm back in business of locking the car on the parking lots May be one day I'll take care of my remote too.
OK, my repair kit worked for 2 years. Lock broke again. Ordered another same kit from the same seller. For 2 years I've been using the lock ONLY, no remote. So this is how long it lasts - 2 years.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: none
What part breaks on the lock and how much would a dealer charge, just asking thanks