Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: 323i
Erratic Power Window on e36...

Hello!

I'm having a really unusual problem with my '92 e36 318is and would like some advice/input on how to deal with it.

The driver's side power window motor is acting really erratic. Sometimes the window functions properly (i.e. goes up and down). Other times, when raising the window, it will stop, then go back down about half an inch. Sometimes it will only do this up/down nonsense once, then resume normal operation. Other times it will do it over and over again effectively preventing me from rolling up the window fully.

I've already done some basic trouble shooting on this problem. The fuse is good, wires are in good shape, the motor operates just fine when hot wired. The passenger side door operates without problems so I switch power window switches for a rule-out, but the window kept acting up. I lubricated the tracks, and that seemed to help, but it kept persisting.

My current theory is the motor is damaged and overdrawing. The circuitry of the power window motor seems like it has a current overdraw protection feature (correct me if I'm wrong). It would make perfect sense that the motor is simply giving out, causing internal shorts, and the overdraw protection feature is kicking in.

Can somebody weigh in? I'm a pretty competent DIY mechanic but I'm at a loss right now.
Advertisement