Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Smile Sweet Loaner 2014 528i

Nice ride! Thanks Devon Hill!

Last time I dropped the wifes '11 328i at the dealer they put me in a 3 series that didn't even have an iDrive. So I was not looking forward to leaving my car at home today.

BUT, I walk out to the lot and the guy sends me off in a Sweet looking 5 series with 102 miles on the dial.

Very nice ride. Lots of toys, CA, HUD. I don't even miss my car...too much.

New feature for BMW. When you stop at a light, the car stalls itself untill you release the brake. Then it restarts itself. It's a gas saving feature that is supposed to be mandatory in a few years according to the SA. Not sure I like it, but the saved money would be nice.
HUD, Comfort Access

Advertisement
Old 05-02-2013, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
They are just setting you up, to buy the wife a new 5 series! There is rime, to their reason. Does the engine actually turn off?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Sweet Loaner 2014 528i

The new 328 I got two weeks ago had the same Eco feature - engine is off at stop and restarts when you take your foot off the brake. You can disable it or put it in sport mode which also disables it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 05-03-2013, 03:32 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
...and we think we have battery problems! Every time you stop the car it shuts off and keeps running A/C, radio, etc... You know that is going to end up leaving people at a light with no battery.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 05-03-2013, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman View Post
...and we think we have battery problems! Every time you stop the car it shuts off and keeps running A/C, radio, etc... You know that is going to end up leaving people at a light with no battery.
If you are sitting for a while, the car will restart on its own, when the battery level starts to drop too much.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 650i/Mustang/Explorer
The auto start/stop feature is becoming more standard on cars due to CAFE Regulations. All hybrids have had it for a while. BMW's execution of start/stop is pretty awful though due to how apparent it is. Some cars the engine shut off and restart are not noticeable at all. Whenever I drive a BMW with efficient dynamics that start/stop defeat button below the vehicle on/off button becomes my best friend haha. FYI if you do own a BMW with Efficient Dynamics, dealers are now allowed to reprogram the start/stop feature to stay on or stay off with that button, not default to on every time you drive the car.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
I was talking with our local BMW owner today, when she commented on this feature. She said that it could be disabled in the IDrive. She commented it felt pretty odd!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman View Post
My 2012 528i has it and there in no issue at all. I programmed the auto off to remember the setting a long time ago so it's not an issue. All hybrids have this too. Better get used to it, in the next few years that's the way all cars will be.

BTW that car gets 37mpg on the highway and 28 mpg overall. It can move pretty quick when you want it to in sport mode. It'll take my 650 off the line.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White

Last edited by roseng; 05-07-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
A loaner 328 that we had about 5 months ago also had that eco-stop feature. Only I didn't know anything about it. I left the dealer with no stops between there and the interstate, drove 20 minutes home, got off on the surface streets and the first sustained light I stopped at the car "stalled" out. At least that is what I thought happened. So I put it into Park, hit the start button, thinking to myself "these guys gave me a lemon". Pull up to the house, come to a stop for a minute to gather some stuff, stalls out?? This time I take my foot off the brake and voila, it started back up. That is when I figured it out!!!

I have read reviews about the Mercedes version and they said it was nearly imperceptible when starting back up. The BMW one you definitely feel it power down and back up.

And yes, the x28 engine cars are peppy!