Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: Mazda 6
New member question X1 backup cam?

Hi there! New member here trying to learn all that I can about the X1. My wife and I are looking at vehicles and currently the X1 is very high if not on the top of the list. The only other candidate is the Land Rover Evoque, but that vehicle's capabilities are pretty far beyond what we feel as necessary. (not to mention $$)

I wanted to ask all of the X1 members here, do you use the backup camera and/or do you feel it is a "must have" accessory? We live in the southwest so many places are pretty open and I don't think I've parallel parked in about 5 years... My issue is you can't get the backup camera in the X1 without the tech package.

I don't feel there's much in the tech package that can't already be done on a smart phone, nav, turn by turn, email reading, facebook, etc. Perhaps some of those who own an X1 could share some insight on what other benefits there are... otherwise I can't' see paying 2.5K for a backup camera... Does the Idrive add any other cool features that make it more worth the price?

Thanks for the advice!!!

J
Ads by Google
Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 PM
BJB

Mein Auto: X1

I would say external visibility isn't as good as other cars I have had and wish my x1 had backup camera. Hid lights too.
That said, I am comfortable w/o camera. I bought from inventory so got what was available at a good price.
Those are my only regrets and enjoy it a lot

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by bjbolduc; 05-07-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 x128
I love the backup cam on my X1. Very clear picture and provides overlapping grid lines that help in backing... The video also shows 3-dimensional surfaces that obstruct you (and as you get closer, those surfaces change color) so is extra helpful

Not sure if the sensors on the front + back are part of the tech package but that helps me a lot... the sensor on the front not only detects distance from a wall in the front, but also shows distance from a curb in front of you (cos 2 of the front sensors are low enough)
Old 05-08-2013, 05:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i
I really like the backup camera and have found it helpful, but in all honesty, it would probably not be a dealbreaker if I didn't have it.

But - I really like the navigation system and would not consider buying another new vehicle that does not have a hard drive based nav system. For years I have been a fan of ancillary navigation systems (used Garmin devices for a decade and switched over to android and Google Navigation an couple of years ago) and always mocked those who had hard drive based systems integrated into the car. Having a hard drive nav system now, I can tell you that it is far superior to using a phone for navigation. Larger screen, no issues with mounting or hand holding and generally more features (big exception - real time traffic is not as robust as you get on Google Nav). I know everyone has their personal preferences and I didn't expect to like the Nav system that much, but I am a convert.

I'm also not sure if uploading music from CD or usb stick to the hard drive requires iDrive, but I have found that to be an awesome feature - much better than plugging in an iphone or streaming from android. I'm not even sure you can bluetooth stream on the BMW without iDrive.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: Mazda 6
I didn't know the X1 had a hard drive option... Our dealer here doesn't seem to be that helpful, polite guy but I get the impression we're being profiled (young couple) and not really given any appreciable time of day. It doesn't help our cause that we're looking at the "cheapest" BMW. (or in marketing speak, most affordable) But the X1 really is the vehicle that seems to fit our mission the best.

Does anyone know if the hard drive is only available with idrive as the above post implies?

Thanks for the helpful comments!
J
Old 05-08-2013, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
I didn't option for the backup camera as it would have forced me to get the sunroof.
And really didn't want the sunroof. But if the backup camera was a standalone option, I probably would have gotten it.
The passenger side mirror also folds down automatically to give you a better angle of the ground while backing up in reverse.

The nav screen is nice, expensive, but very nice. It was a must for me since I like the options it has with showing and scrolling through music titles. Navigation was important too since the wife and I travel lots.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: RX-8

Aftermarket back up cameras are an option.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-08-2013, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by s205designs View Post
I didn't know the X1 had a hard drive option... Our dealer here doesn't seem to be that helpful, polite guy but I get the impression we're being profiled (young couple) and not really given any appreciable time of day. It doesn't help our cause that we're looking at the "cheapest" BMW. (or in marketing speak, most affordable) But the X1 really is the vehicle that seems to fit our mission the best.

Does anyone know if the hard drive is only available with idrive as the above post implies?

Thanks for the helpful comments!
J
The hard drive is part of the idrive/navigation package. Part of the drive is used to store maps and data for the navigation, there is about 12gb allocated for you to use to store music.