Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-23-2013, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: bmw x5 4.6is
BMW X5 Gearbox faults any ideas ???

Hi Have a BMW x5 4.6 E53
Having probs with the gear box
bit worried about it to tell you the truth have went through all the threads on here regarding gearbox faults.

Recently got the gearbox oil changed and the level is correct rechecked it today.

we first took two litres out of the box and refilled and ran it for 50 miles to flush it through the box .
Then replaced all the oil and filter and refilled with oil

Since then the box not really engaging gear so driving it in manual which is smooth enough and go's up and down gears well when warmed up.

but first thing in the mornings for first 10 mins car is reving and then slowly engages gear sometimes jumps to second itself even in manual (this is driving in Manual ) afraid to drive in auto.

it will drive along ok in manual after that for a while but on a motorway just at about 70 miles per hour after 5 mins will go into trans fail mode.

been in and out of garage past few days and left it this morning to get read the following 5 faults where coming up.

20 speed signal N-ab ( output)

30 Mechanical converter lockup clutch monitoring 1M

33 Gear monitoring 1M code 004

36 Gear monitoring 4 Code 005

3B Stall speed monitoring

The garage seems to think it might be a software problem ???? What do you think ??

He is going to take it to a friend BMW tech tomorrow and up grade gearbox software and engine software so the two of them is matched ... has anyone ever heard of matching the engine to the gearbox ?

what do you think ?? could it be software are is the gearbox on its way out ?? anyone come across these probliems before ??

Thanks ..
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2013, 02:54 PM

also is the abs module linked to the gearbox in any way ?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: x5
There is a Computer update - I ordered the cord through ebay and did it myself but search the forums for a computer update. The problem exists b/c the amount of fluid/pressure the computer tells the gearbox to load/unload while gear shift is wrong - esecially relevant between 2nd and 3rd - most noticed rolling into an incline and hitting the gas it would slam into gear. The update fixes it. I first replaced the gearbox oil as well which helped sort of - but the update is what did the trick. Don't go to a BMW dealer - goto a mechanic that is a bmw mechanic you will save tons!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:32 AM
Yippikayaaaay

Mein Auto: 2002 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetone71 View Post
There is a Computer update - I ordered the cord through ebay and did it myself but search the forums for a computer update.
You can do that!!! What are the advantages of software update?
Old 05-08-2013, 02:20 PM

thanks guys for posting , went to a BMW independent with the BMW software , cleared faults etc , took x5 for a spin drove the life out of it to see what new faults came up.
internal fault came up in the gearbox ,basically its looking for a gear and not finding it between first and second 3rd to fourth.
I was having real probliems in the morning before the oil heated up in the gearbox it was slipping badly in the lower gears , it was the plates internally slipping , I can only assume that when the oil heats up the expand somewhat making better contact.
anyhow it is going tomorrow to get gearbox reconditioned
thanks very much for your comments
Old 05-18-2013, 06:59 AM

well guys .. got jeep back with gearbox done .. it is tip top now unreal the difference.
guy said there was a bearing gone drum punctured and plates gone , changed the lot and put it back together test drove it and would not give it back until they had driven it cold.

got it done in a garage in Dublin autotranz cannot speak more highly of them cost me 1500 euro and paid him cash and he knocked 50 off so 1450 euro about 1250-1300 stg
car going like a dream

what number of guy no problem but I highly recommend them