Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 05-06-2013, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: BMW m3
Smg trouble

My "a" auto mode is manual mode and "s" sequential is auto mode and the transmission light comes on can somebody help me
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
I'm not quite sure I understand your question/problem...

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 05-07-2013, 06:44 AM

My car has the smg trans when u first put it in drive it goes to auto mode "a" which is automatic shifting right? Well u have to manual shift it and sequential mode "s" is auto it's backwards from what the owners manual said
Old 05-07-2013, 06:51 AM

Hmmm, okay. So to start the car, you need to have it in neutral. When you put it in gear, you move the lever to the right. Are you moving it ALL the way to the right (second "click"?) If so, that is putting it into Auto mode. Of course, even in auto mode, as soon as you use either the shift paddles or the shift lever to change gears, it reverts back to Manual mode.

As far as the gear display on the instrument cluster, I know there was a running change which slightly changed the way it looks. On mine, when I'm in Manual mode, there is an "A" displayed on the right side. That indicates that if you want to switch to Automatic mode, you move the lever all the way to the right. I so rarely use Auto mode, that I forget what the display says when I'm in it. I can't recall if it displays an "M" or if the "A" is just a different color...

2002 M3 Convertible
Old 05-07-2013, 08:09 AM

Oh so the the "a" stands for if u want to switch to auto mode? I thought whatever mode you where in would come up on the screen
Old 05-07-2013, 11:29 AM

Yeah, I made the same mistake the day I took the car for a test drive.

2002 M3 Convertible
Old 05-07-2013, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nstone View Post
Oh so the the "a" stands for if u want to switch to auto mode? I thought whatever mode you where in would come up on the screen
Basically yes, it's actually a digital representation of the shift pattern you see on shift knobs. It varies because the A/S mode is a toggle switch and changes with your setting.

As far as the light goes, then it can be one of many reasons behind it. Do a search and you'll be able to read for days.

540i - Stock/Sport / 6MT / 13.9@100mph
WS6 - 231/234 / 6MT / 4.10 / 410rwhp
ITR - 262/262 / 5MT / 12.2:1 / 9600rpm

540i/6 Sport, Jet Black, Style 65, LED tail, DICE+GROM USB, !CDV, Redline MT-90, M1 0-40w
Old 05-08-2013, 07:44 AM

It was such a nice evening yesterday that I took my M3 out for a spin. I made a point to check out the display in Manual and Auto modes. Plus I found a good picture of the SMG display...

Large Number - Indicates the gear you are currently in.
Bar Graph - Indicates the "shift level", more bars = faster shifting.

The hodgepodge of lines, letters and arrows indicates the "shift pattern" of the shift lever on the center console:

R - Moving the lever to the left and forward puts the car in reverse.

0 - The zero indicates neutral. I believe some cars have an updated display that has an "N" for neutral instead of the "0".

Up/Down - Moving the lever one "click" to the right puts the car in manual mode. The transmission will not shift* unless you move the stick forwards/backwards or use the shift paddles. (*The car will bounce on the rev limiter instead of automatically up-shifting. However, it will automatically downshift to keep the car from stalling.)

A - From the neutral position, moving the lever two "clicks" to the right puts the car in automatic mode. Simply using the paddles or forwards/backwards on the stick reverts to manual mode. (When you are in Auto mode, the A is replaced by an S, indicating that moving the lever to the far right position will also put the car back in Manual mode (I think the S stands for Sport.))

NOTE: When in Auto mode, an "A" will appear to the lower right of the large gear number to indicate that you are in Auto mode.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	112_0208_11z_Shift_Business_2002_BMW_M3_SMG%202002_BMW_M3_SMG%20Dashboard_View.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	375386  

2002 M3 Convertible

Last edited by OBS3SSION; 05-08-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:52 AM

On a side note, something that the SMG M3 has that the traditional manual cars does not is the "Shift Lights".

On the tachometer, we have the amber lights that light up when the car is cold to indicate a reduced red-line. As the engine warms up, the lights go out one by one until you have your full 8000 RPM red-line.

Once warm, if you rev the engine up towards the 8000 RPM red-line, those same lights will start to light up to indicate when to shift. It's pretty cool, but in my opinion useless. The car revs so quickly that by the time they light up, you've already shifted or you're bouncing off the limiter. Plus... if I'm up to 8000 RPM, I'm probably doing light-speed and watching the road instead of my gauges!

But figured I'd put this out there since most people don't know about it.

2002 M3 Convertible

Last edited by OBS3SSION; 05-08-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:44 PM

Ok I see now thanks for all the help I appreciate it!