Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci cabriolet
Can I replace Becker amp with aftermarket?

As title really - I have the smaller Becker amp in my car and the rear drivers side speakers vibrate occasionally (although for some reason not constantly).
After checking up on forums, everything seemed to point to a wet amp overloading one circuit causing the vibrate.
I checked the amp yesterday and it all looks very clean with no sign of corrosion, water damage or even water ingress.
So as I can get easy access to the amp plug, cani simply cut off the Oem amp plug and wire in an aftermarket amp?
If so, what would you know what type of amp I would need! (Power output, channels etc) and does anyone know what colour wires relate to what connection?

Lastly, how easy is it to get to the speakers in the rear side panel (cabriolet)? It sounds like its the lower half moon shaped speaker grille where the majority of the vibration incoming from,so if its a simple job to access these I might try this first

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 05-09-2013, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645CI, sport package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman645 View Post
As title really - I have the smaller Becker amp in my car and the rear drivers side speakers vibrate occasionally (although for some reason not constantly).
After checking up on forums, everything seemed to point to a wet amp overloading one circuit causing the vibrate.
I checked the amp yesterday and it all looks very clean with no sign of corrosion, water damage or even water ingress.
So as I can get easy access to the amp plug, cani simply cut off the Oem amp plug and wire in an aftermarket amp?
If so, what would you know what type of amp I would need! (Power output, channels etc) and does anyone know what colour wires relate to what connection?

Lastly, how easy is it to get to the speakers in the rear side panel (cabriolet)? It sounds like its the lower half moon shaped speaker grille where the majority of the vibration incoming from,so if its a simple job to access these I might try this first

Thanks!
just from a simple electrical standpoint. If you do that, you need to make sure the unit has almost the exact same requirements for amperage and voltage. I'm not very well versed in sound systems specifically. But any device using electrical power will have precise requirements as to how much power is enough, and how much is too much. If you acquire an aftermarket piece that has the same requirements and tolerances of the OEM piece then you should be OK.

Finally, before you start swapping out pieces, is your car giving off any other symptoms beyond speak buzz? My car was in need of a new alternator (voltage regulator specifically) and one the symptoms was speaker buzz. Others included my car throwing up warnings on my Idrive which would later disappear as well as having a fluctuating idle.

I haven't heard the speaker buzz issue from other guys with dying alternators, but after I had mine swapped out my sounds system was back to off-the-lot quality.

hope this helps.