Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 03-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
I drove a Tesla Model S

My friend who has an MB E63 AMG as his other car got his Tesla in January. I realize the Tesla S is not only a car but a religion so these comments will not be well received by some. When I 1st saw the car I was disappointed, it didn't look as good as pictures I'd seen. The interior was poor to say the least and the seats were rock hard. The driving experience was nothing special either. The car accelerates quickly but it's different than my M3 or his E63, probably because it's silent. You can't coast like when approaching a stop light, you have to keep the pedal down some. He said it had to do with brake regeneration.
It has the max range and some other stuff and cost 110k. One thing that was impressive was he asked me for the name of a song I liked and I said Boogie Wonderland. He then told it to play it and it did. My friend is a tech wreck kind of a guy and he loves the advanced technology and he loves the Tesla too but I'd a lot rather drive my M3, his E63, or a Porsche 911S, it isn't even close.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Prime Minister of Mexico.

Send a message via MSN to DanielMX Send a message via Yahoo to DanielMX
Mein Auto: GMC Yukon Denali (B5)
You think that the Telsa is a good start for the mass production full-electric cars?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:18 AM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren View Post
One thing that was impressive was he asked me for the name of a song I liked and I said Boogie Wonderland. He then told it to play it and it did.
My Mustang GT does this. When I have a first time passenger I usually demonstrate the feature by commanding, "Play Mustang Sally!"

[

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 03-12-2013, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielMX View Post
You think that the Telsa is a good start for the mass production full-electric cars?
I think it's a good start but would like to see a nice electric car with decent range for a lot less than what the S costs. Maybe a car the size and price of a BMW 3 series. Right now, the most viable vehicle in this class is the Volt due to it's on-board gas generator.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
nissan leaf - cheap, decent range, looks awful, zero pleasure in driving. but a great start
Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 325it / 5sp
I test drove the S last month and had a very different impression than you... well, except for the seats (which are nowhere near bmw's seats), I thought the car was phenomenal. The power was impressive and the handling was phenomenal for a car of that size. I appreciated the interior space (seating for up to 7, but 5 very comfortably) and thought the car looked great from the outside.

I wouldn't drop $100K on it, but the 60kw battery seems reasonable... and range is actually not bad. I rarely drive more than 50 miles in a day, and on a few occasions will drive 100. Trips of 200+ miles just don't happen for me much anymore.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:44 PM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
They start at $52k.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options

Interesting that Autotrader has people trying to sell them for more than they cost new.

I think performace of the 85kW version is comparable to an M5...
Old 03-28-2013, 05:27 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Very intrigued by the Tesla. The reliability concerns don't phase me (I have had BMWs and Audis...so I'm used to crap not working). I look forward to their 3 series competitor.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Here's why I would never buy a Tesla, at least not right now:

First off, up close it doesn't look all that attractive, though I admit it does have a striking and great road presence from afar.

The big kicker is the horrid fit and finish. The chrome wrap around the greenhouse isn't aligned through all panels. The front and rear doors aren't perfectly smoothly aligned, you can see areas that are wider in gap than others, and when you run your finger front one door to another, you can feel the points/raised edges of the metal and trim where they meet.

It's detail stuff like this that makes the fit and finish akin to a 10+ year old Ford to me. Yes they can throw all kinds of fancy lights and materials on it, however a detail freak like myself needs to see flawlessness in fundamental areas like fit and finish. IMO that is what truly spells out a luxury car. If they don't pay close enough attention to simple fitment and alignment/gaps, who knows where else they're skimping.

Ordered: Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350 "Sport", '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Overly Intellectual

I didn't notice any of that fit and finish stuff at the last Supercar Sunday when they had 5 Tesla Model S cars there, but I'll look closer next time. I disagree about the design. I think they're attractive up close too.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
I see several Tesla S every day and I also think that they are better looking in motion or from a distance. F10 and F30 do not lose their taut look when you get closer. With the Tesla, you discover that she is a bit flabbier and her complexion is not quite as smooth.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
I see several Tesla S every day and I also think that they are better looking in motion or from a distance. F10 and F30 do not lose their taut look when you get closer. With the Tesla, you discover that she is a bit flabbier and her complexion is not quite as smooth.
Okey dokey. To my eyes the F10 and F30 are invisible, nondescript cars with zero stylistic flair.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Overly Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Okey dokey. To my eyes the F10 and F30 are invisible, nondescript cars with zero stylistic flair.
I Totally agree with this!

BMW completely lost me with the new design. The M5 doesn't look like a beast anymore. It looks like a Taurus.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:54 AM
Dark Knight

OMG, they both have 4 doors and 2 headlights. Completely interchangeable.

P.S: That M5 pic made me wet my pants a little. I guess it's time to go to the Ford dealership and pick up that Taurus.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Why do people argue about styling? I don't think there's anything more subjective than how a car looks. I mean, there are actually people out there who like cars like the Pontiac Aztec, Porsche Panamera, and Nissan Juke!

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 05-06-2013, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Fit and finish on the Model S is just fine. The car is a technological powerhouse. It's truly cutting edge. It's sad to see members take potshots at a truly innovative and game-changing American car.
BMW 550i, BMW 545i

Last edited by swajames; 05-06-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS3SSION View Post
Why do people argue about styling? I don't think there's anything more subjective than how a car looks. I mean, there are actually people out there who like cars like the Pontiac Aztec, Porsche Panamera, and Nissan Juke!

True... isn't the X6 just the latest version of the Aztek?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
True... isn't the X6 just the latest version of the Aztek?
Probably. Pontiacs have always been BMWs... they have the same kidney grills!

Back to the topic at hand; After my test drive, the only thing keeping me from buying a Model S is that I can't afford an $80,000 car. I think they look great, and I'm ALL OVER the electric power-train. Instant rocket-like acceleration at any time, from any speed! Flat handling due to a CG that feels like it's at the center of the earth. And NO gas!

True... you do get more for your money on other luxury/premium brands, but you're paying for new tech, and a new paradigm with the Tesla. Once electric tech becomes more mainstream, you'll see prices equal out. Oh, and my test car did have a funky fit/finish issue on the dash that I noticed: The door trim had a weird overlap to the dash instead of a nice mating like you'd expect. But that wouldn't stop me from buying it.

My current plans are to lease something now, and hope the Model C is ready to be my next car.

2002 M3 Convertible

Last edited by OBS3SSION; 05-07-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Dark Knight

Re: I drove a Tesla Model S

The fit/finish issues are very real both inside and out. Even salesmen reportedly comment on it saying some owners feel it gives the car "character" (lol). It's unacceptable for a car of that price range but the question is: Is one willing to look past it in order to get such revolutionary tech and be as part of something possibly game changing.

I also agree that the exterior looks good from afar but looses its tautness up close. Just not as refined a design as a German who usually keeps its precision from all lengths of view.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Dark Knight

Checked out another Tesla today and this one had much better fit/finish than the last one I saw. I guess you can therefore add "inconsistent" to my previous list. However, good news for me is that I now am warming up to the car a lot more, considering the details tell me a very big story.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Checked out another Tesla today and this one had much better fit/finish than the last one I saw. I guess you can therefore add "inconsistent" to my previous list. However, good news for me is that I now am warming up to the car a lot more, considering the details tell me a very big story.
I think what you're seeing there is the Tesla factory learning how to make cars. Each day/week/month there will be improvements. The Model S is very much an early adopter's car. While I wouldn't say it's a "prototype", it is still in a constant state of development. I like it for what it is and what it represents for future tech.

And again on the looks; completely subjective. I like the Model S up close and from a distance. I think most of BMW's designs in the past 10 years have looked bloated and flaccid.

2002 M3 Convertible
Old 05-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS3SSION View Post
I think what you're seeing there is the Tesla factory learning how to make cars. Each day/week/month there will be improvements. The Model S is very much an early adopter's car. While I wouldn't say it's a "prototype", it is still in a constant state of development. I like it for what it is and what it represents for future tech.
This is true. It's what I was talking about with the salesman as well.

I just bought some TSLA stock after they reported results (should have bought it at $40 as initially planned but decided I wanted to see if their results were hype or solid, unfortunately stock has almost doubled since then).

The jury has been out, but I think they're the real deal within this industry. Either they won't be around in the future, or they will be huge, not much middle ground between there.

What I like about Tesla is an Apple-like mentality in how they're going their own way in revolutionizing a sector of American corporate culture, though obviously in the very beginning stages of it. And like Apple, they're proving in a particular sector that Americans don't only make junk, when those sectors were beforehand overrun with American companies that did make junk.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:22 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
You bought what? Buy the rumor, sell the news! We're above most analysts price target right now, I hope it holds for your sake. I had $60 strike calls, sold them this morning for a 500% return. That was fun.

Anyway, I think it's an astounding car. Does it have some room to grow, of course, but it's a great car and I'd love one. Perhaps I'm biased being born and raised in the city where their plant is, but I've seen some incredible things from them. Had a contact at the plant that took me on a VIP tour of sorts, the kind that involved chatting with his buddies, walking across production lines, etc. It was amazing to watch, their plant is incredible. And yes, they are still figuring out how to mass produce vehicles.

I do believe you'll see fit and finish issues improve as the workforce improves and learns. From what I saw, people there were much more diligent and interested in doing real work than they were when it was NUMMI. It helps that the workforce is now NON-Union. It's also much younger, so I think there is a learning curve in that regard as well. Give em time.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 05-09-2013, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Opinion will vary on the source, but the Model S just got the best ever score from Consumer Reports

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/09/auto...html?hpt=hp_t3

"Consumer Reports is calling the Tesla Model S the best car it has ever tested. The Model S, an all-electric plug-in car, earned a score of 99 out of a possible 100 in the magazine's tests.
The score would have been higher but for the fact that the all-electric car does need to stop and recharge during extremely long-distance drives."
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 05-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
You bought what? Buy the rumor, sell the news! We're above most analysts price target right now, I hope it holds for your sake. I had $60 strike calls, sold them this morning for a 500% return. That was fun.

Anyway, I think it's an astounding car. Does it have some room to grow, of course, but it's a great car and I'd love one. Perhaps I'm biased being born and raised in the city where their plant is, but I've seen some incredible things from them. Had a contact at the plant that took me on a VIP tour of sorts, the kind that involved chatting with his buddies, walking across production lines, etc. It was amazing to watch, their plant is incredible. And yes, they are still figuring out how to mass produce vehicles.

I do believe you'll see fit and finish issues improve as the workforce improves and learns. From what I saw, people there were much more diligent and interested in doing real work than they were when it was NUMMI. It helps that the workforce is now NON-Union. It's also much younger, so I think there is a learning curve in that regard as well. Give em time.
Yup, my sell ordered triggered while I was sleeping and I sold just over $75 (which happened to be around the highest price of the day). I don't have the stomach for Options, and was feeling all good about my $6 per share score in a few hours of work! Lol. Good for you on that 500%.

I'll probably re-buy if it pulls back a little bit. I think the future prospects for the company are strong, and I'm not even a huge "fanboy" of the car itself.